VakAttack

Michigan-Rutgers

The ease that Micic scored with on his shot was incredible considering how good of a defender that Suriano is. That being said, Suriano was much more aggressive the entire match. Being at Rutgers, I’m kind of surprised the ref didn’t hit Micic with more than 1 stall calls. 

49 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Storr gives us a facemush AND a finger wag after beating unranked Peter LIpari in OT.  Love it.  Of course, he may have just set poor Malik Amine up to get mobbed.

Yeah it’s weird. Storr isn’t that guy and now that he tried, it is just embarrassing. Lipari is solid but is maybe 50% to qualify and he came close to beating Storr. 

Man people are going to say Suriano is overrated, regressed, etc. still think he is fairly likely to win ncaas. All 3 losses are matches he can get back. His cardio and lack of a weight cut will help at NCAAs too. 

Wish he had gone his freshman year. He would get so much more respect as I think he would’ve won.  Now, I’m the deepest weight, he is right in the mix but could place 3rd even if he wrestles his best. 

I hope he pulls it off. 

Micic is damn good. I think Suriano beats Desanto and faces micic again in the Big10 finals. Whoever wins that will most likely  Fix in the ncaa finals (if seeding goes as I think it will)

love 133 this year. So much talent and effort by these top guys. Then you have RBY, Pletcher, Gomez, Phillipi all of whom could what the top 3 on the right day.

3 minutes ago, muskyjunky said:

Embree really impresses me the couple times I’ve seen him this year . He should be making some noise next 3 years . 

Yeah! I was a little worried about him. He was very solid in high school (ranked #1 at his weight on and off) but wasn’t sure how he’d translate. I had similar concerns about Hovis and he isn’t doing all that well so far. 

I think Embree is now hitting his stride right on time. I think he has a solid career and makes the podium at some point

Good match today. I was pulling for Nick. I was glad to see him open up more. He's right there. But, Micic is so solid. Should be a real good big 10 tourny. Man, any one of these top 5 or 6 guys could win the whole thing!

39 minutes ago, garyc said:

Good match today. I was pulling for Nick. I was glad to see him open up more. He's right there. But, Micic is so solid. Should be a real good big 10 tourny. Man, any one of these top 5 or 6 guys could win the whole thing!

Any of the top 10 guys could win it all. Great weight class which has been fun following. 

I thought Suriano looked good today. He was aggressive and I liked that he opened up and took more shots.

It looked to me that Micic is a bit "longer" than Suriano and that extra length/leverage is what helped him stop Suriano's shots. This can be overcome via technique and a game plan.

I agree with the previous poster; Micic's only shot was executed perfectly and I was left to wonder if Micic intentionally didn't try it again. 

This is a great weight class and will a lot of fun to watch in March!

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

People keep saying this weight is pretty wide open, but I have to be honest, if anyone other than Micic or Fix win it, I'll be shocked.

have  to agree. I have really liked the way Micic has looked this year.

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

People keep saying this weight is pretty wide open, but I have to be honest, if anyone other than Micic or Fix win it, I'll be shocked.

Agreed.  It was good to see Suriano open up today some more and push the issue, but I don't think he's comfortable there. I see him losing close matches to the top guys again at Big 10s and NCAAs.

Also, Micic is a guy who is great at making adjustments against wrestlers he sees more than once. His TD in the 3rd period was quick, clean and lethal - Suriano never even had an opportunity to fend it off.

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I still think Suriano is going to be right there in March. He's a coin toss with Fix. Micic's length poses some finishing issues with him, but I wouldn't be shocked if he could make that adjustment. He's shown he can get to Micic already.

I'm also starting to be a believer in Desanto. He's wrestling so well right now, very crisp and efficient. In the past, he was sloppy, but his pace covered up for it against most opponents. Now, he looks much more solid positionally, but still has the insane pace. He's improved a ton since going to Iowa and even just in the last month or two. He's a completely different guy from November. We'll learn a lot next week against Fix.