Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

PSU - Illinois

14 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Very true, but TBar is right in that he has really come on this year. I did not expect him to be a title contender this year. He has never placed higher than 7th at the state tournament. Could be a late bloomer, but I don't think he'll be elite. Could be a D1 starter/possible qualifier at some point, but I don't think he would ever see the lineup at Penn State. I'd like to see him at IU. Escobedo picked up a lot of good instate talent this year that usually would have gone elsewhere in the Goldman years. It is funny that he has a chance to win more state titles than Nick who is clear and away the best of the three despite only winning one title in Indiana.

I’ve heard Angel is hot on his trail. And it’s good to see him keeping that Indiana talent in state. Hope it’s a long term trend. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I’ve heard Angel is hot on his trail. And it’s good to see him keeping that Indiana talent in state. Hope it’s a long term trend. 

They've looked more competitive this year and he's already locked up more in state talent than Goldman did in 10 years. From this year's class, state champs Moran (2x), Garcia (3x), and South (2x) have all had some national level success. He's also brought some big in state names home as transfers in Konrath and Covaciu who are both qualifier level guys and still young.

I've always thought Indiana was underrated as a wrestling state because a lot of solid guys slip through the cracks because the instate programs were so bad. You had guys like Riley Lefever (and even his older brothers) go D3 and dominate to 4 titles. He didn't even win a state title in Indiana, losing to a sophomore Bobby Steveson in the finals as a senior. Instate schools like Wabash (d3) and Indiana Tech (NAIA) are perennial powers because they pick up a ton of solid instate kids that are under recruited. The following are notable D1 wrestlers from Indiana: 

#1 Micic 3x champ

Brock Hudkins, 2x champ, R12 guy for Northern Illinois

UR Drew Hildebrandt, 1x champ has been ranked at times this year as a freshman (little brother of World Silver Sarah Hildebrandt)

UR Paul Konrath, 0x champ, freshman transfer to IU from Wisconsin, win over Tariq Wilson this year

#3 Nick Lee, 1x Champ (and obviously his brother Joe)

Brayton Lee, 3x champ with good results as a freshman in redshirt

#12 Dylan Lydy, 1x Champ (only qualified as a senior too)

#19 Drew Hughes, 2x champ

UR Ben Harvey, has been ranked through his career, 0x champ, lost to Lydy in the finals

Ur Jacob Covaciu, 2x champ, starter at IU right now

#11 Mason Parris, 3x champ

#1 Gable Steveson, grew up in Indiana, but moved to Apple Valley to wrestle as a junior high student, brother bobby was a champ as a sophomore in Indiana.

I've probably missed a few, but I really believe the right coach can be successful in Indiana. There's enough in state talent to develop if you can keep them home. In recent years, all the big recruits left the state. Micic to Northwestern initially, Nathan Boston (gave Micic his only state tournament loss) to Iowa State, 5x Fargo champ Mitch Sliga to Northwestern, Brayton Lee to Minnesota, Nick and Joe Lee to Penn State, Parris to Michigan, etc... Ersland has yet to lock down much in state talent, instead relying on recruits from Illinois and Michigan predominately. Angel is off to a good start. I really hope he keeps it up. Lot of great talent coming up in the next couple years. Current freshman Jesse Mendez will be one of the biggest recruits in the country. I hope Angel or Ersland can keep him home.

47 minutes ago, panewbie1 said:

Apparently the Hoosiers Luigs made the Iowa wrestler, Max Murin, cry too as he packed Max last week.

I've seen this posted a couple times, but I don't think Murin actually cried this time. He did take a few seconds to get up after getting stuck. Kind of feel for the kid. He's had a rough couple weeks.

5 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Former Club Wrestler Scott Stossell beats Illinois 133. That WAS a competitive match. 

That wasn't the Illinois starter, Duncan.

5 hours ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Carr made the Iowa wrestler cry, but ducks Lee.

Carr was out Friday against Northwestern too. Someone on the Illinois board said Carr was away from the team coughing into his shirt throughout that dual.

37 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

I've probably missed a few, but I really believe the right coach can be successful in Indiana. There's enough in state talent to develop if you can keep them home. In recent years, all the big recruits left the state. Micic to Northwestern initially, Nathan Boston (gave Micic his only state tournament loss) to Iowa State, 5x Fargo champ Mitch Sliga to Northwestern, Brayton Lee to Minnesota, Nick and Joe Lee to Penn State, Parris to Michigan, etc... Ersland has yet to lock down much in state talent, instead relying on recruits from Illinois and Michigan predominately. Angel is off to a good start. I really hope he keeps it up. Lot of great talent coming up in the next couple years. Current freshman Jesse Mendez will be one of the biggest recruits in the country. I hope Angel or Ersland can keep him home.

Last night an Indiana recruit from Illinois, Eddie Bolivar, won a state championship in a bracket that had 3 Illini commits, including a state champ from last year.

29 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

We often discuss coaches on the "hot seat."  How about Jim Heffernan?  

I think with Heffernan's new additions to the coaching staff of Mike Poeta and Bryan Medlin, they've start getting more in-state recruits and Heffernan holds on for a couple more years. However, 42 Illinois state champs this year and only one is going to U of I.

Edited by Relentless125

5 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

I think with Heffernan's new additions to the coaching staff of Mike Poeta and Bryan Medlin, they've start getting more in-state recruits and Heffernan holds on for a couple more years. However, 42 Illinois state champs this year and only one is going to U of I.

The one Illini recruit, while a blue chip, is going to be a heavyweight during what many consider to be the deepest 3-4 years the weight will possibly ever be. Not to mention that school hasn’t had a 285 AA in probably twenty-five years? Heffernan hot seat confirmed. Poeta will probably take over when he retires and Medlin will continue the RTC.

18 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

The one Illini recruit, while a blue chip, is going to be a heavyweight during what many consider to be the deepest 3-4 years the weight will possibly ever be. Not to mention that school hasn’t had a 285 AA in probably twenty-five years? Heffernan hot seat confirmed. Poeta will probably take over when he retires and Medlin will continue the RTC.

True but Heffernan just signed a 5 year contract extension in September last year. 

Also, that heavyweight is pretty good and he fills a spot that's been a glaring hole for U of I for the past 4 years. In that amount of time I don't know how they couldn't find someone better than a kid who gets pinned in nearly every match. Even with the Brooks Black miss.

U of I was missing 4 starters against the number 1 team in the country. With coaches not putting the same emphasis on duals that they used to I'd like see what they can do at B10's/NCAA's before putting the nails in the coffin.

Edited by Relentless125