Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Ohio State- Nebraska

Singletary looked pretty good! Coming into his own. He will be ranked 12th or so after this weekend. 

I wonder if he can fill the spot next year if Greg redshirts/olympic redshirts. Or...I wonder if he can drop to 197, Greg takes 285, Hoffman takes 184. That would be a very good lineup (assuming the freshman pan out)

Just now, Marcus Cisero said:

Marinelli wins in SV over Wick! Extraordinary effort by this kid!

Eh Marinelli should've lost. No stall calls in the 2nd was suspect. Marinelli should've been called again with his stalling on top while Wick was on his feet. That is a call they always make, even if I think it is silly. 

Not Marinelli's fault, but I'm picking Wick at Big10s. Good effort my Marinelli. He was fresher and that goto attack is very impressive. He is a threat to Cenzo, although I'm not sure if they meet again this season. 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

Eh Marinelli should've lost. No stall calls in the 2nd was suspect. Marinelli should've been called again with his stalling on top while Wick was on his feet. That is a call they always make, even if I think it is silly. 

Not Marinelli's fault, but I'm picking Wick at Big10s. Good effort my Marinelli. He was fresher and that goto attack is very impressive. He is a threat to Cenzo, although I'm not sure if they meet again this season. 

I actually think BOTH guys are a threat to Cenzo

Just now, Marcus Cisero said:

I actually think BOTH guys are a threat to Cenzo

You could be totally right, but nobody rides Cenzo. Seriously I don't know if it has happened in college. 

I think it is a pretty bad style matchup for Wick. Not sure how he wins. His scrambling as defense isn't going to work against Cenzo. Too clean,quick and powerful. He will hit 4-5 takedowns on Wick I think. It is too much of a deficit for Wick to catch up without back points, which I don't see happening.

Marinelli, White, Massa and Martstellar I think all can get takedowns on Cenzo, but he is about 1 takedown ahead on each. If he faces all 3 at NCAAs (very unlikely) he doesn't win the title. If he ends up just facing 1 he pulls it off. Seeding is really going to matter here I think. 

1. Cenzo

2. Marinelli

3. Wick

4. Sheilds

5. Marstellar

6. White

7. Massa

8. Mekhi Lewis

If this is the seeding at NCAAs, Cenzo would need to beat Lewis, Shields, Marinelli/Wick. Perfect draw for him. He may not face a single guy who has the style to beat him. Worst case he has Marinelli in the finals and maybe Marstellar in the semis. 

BUT

1. Cenzo

2. Marinelli

3. Wick

4. White

5. Marstellar

6. White

7. Shields

8. Massa

This would be tough. He would have 2/4 guys who can beat him and possibly 3. Massa, then White/Marstellar, then Marinelli/Wick. Not sure he wins that, but he always proves the doubters wrong...

31 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

You could be totally right, but nobody rides Cenzo. Seriously I don't know if it has happened in college. 

I think it is a pretty bad style matchup for Wick. Not sure how he wins. His scrambling as defense isn't going to work against Cenzo. Too clean,quick and powerful. He will hit 4-5 takedowns on Wick I think. It is too much of a deficit for Wick to catch up without back points, which I don't see happening.

Marinelli, White, Massa and Martstellar I think all can get takedowns on Cenzo, but he is about 1 takedown ahead on each. If he faces all 3 at NCAAs (very unlikely) he doesn't win the title. If he ends up just facing 1 he pulls it off. Seeding is really going to matter here I think. 

1. Cenzo

2. Marinelli

3. Wick

4. Sheilds

5. Marstellar

6. White

7. Massa

8. Mekhi Lewis

If this is the seeding at NCAAs, Cenzo would need to beat Lewis, Shields, Marinelli/Wick. Perfect draw for him. He may not face a single guy who has the style to beat him. Worst case he has Marinelli in the finals and maybe Marstellar in the semis. 

BUT

1. Cenzo

2. Marinelli

3. Wick

4. White

5. Marstellar

6. White

7. Shields

8. Massa

This would be tough. He would have 2/4 guys who can beat him and possibly 3. Massa, then White/Marstellar, then Marinelli/Wick. Not sure he wins that, but he always proves the doubters wrong...

If Mekhi is the 8 seed and cenzo is the 1 seed I see that being an awesome quarters match. I think I’d add Mekhi to the list of guys that could take cenzo down. But I also think cenzo has the gas tank to beat him in the 3rd period. Would be a great match though. 

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Marinelli was very active on bottom, doing all the things you're taught to do to get out of legs. Getting ridden out doesn't mean the bottom guy is stalling every time. The entire period was Marinelli comes to a tripod off the start, wick throws the leg in, locks up the cradle, Marinelli breaks the lock and gets flattened out, he limps his leg out and comes back to his base, leg comes back in and we do it all over. This occurred in a roughly 20 second cycle for the entire period. He never stopped moving or working underneath and that's why he wasn't hit for stalling. He also returned Wick every time on top even when he got called. He was called for stalling after wick hit a switch after getting mat returned. Marinelli dropped to the leg and hung on for dear life and took the deserved stalling call. I actually think that the stalling was called perfectly in this match and that Marinelli was a lot better on bottom this time around. He almost had a reversal in the second and got one in the third. Regardless, to say that Wick should have won is wrong. He took one shot the whole match. Marinelli was in deep 4-5 times, finishing twice. If you think Marinelli was stalling on bottom, then Wick was certainly stalling in neutral. For the record,  I don't think either was.

I just rewatched the match and Wick came to his feet 3 times following Marinelli's reversal. The longest he was on his feet before being returned was 4 seconds. He was never pushed out either. 3 legit mat returns by Marinelli. Wick hit a nice switch after being returned the second time but marinelli was able to catch a leg to hold on and was correctly called for stalling. I think this match was perfectly officiated.

Edited by qc8223

52 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Singletary looked pretty good! Coming into his own. He will be ranked 12th or so after this weekend. 

I wonder if he can fill the spot next year if Greg redshirts/olympic redshirts. Or...I wonder if he can drop to 197, Greg takes 285, Hoffman takes 184. That would be a very good lineup (assuming the freshman pan out)

Well he would have to sit a year with the dropping to 197 scenario...with Moore still having 1 season left.  Singletary May wrestle next season if Kerk shirts.. but after that he’ll be exploring the Thomas Haines route IMO.

If you read his text it says or maybe kerk goes hwy, Singletary drops to 97 and Hoffman goes 84.. that read to me as a scenario for next season, which obviously wouldn’t work.

its possible the following but there are two scenarios ahead of that in the pecking order including Hoffman bumping up to his more natural 197, or Hoffman staying at 84 and one of Amos/Ferrari taking over 197.

The grand slam scenario is landing Amos/Ferrari but even if that didn’t happen I think Hoffman at 197 trumps Singletary going down.

3 hours ago, Gantry said:

I'm still baffled why Nebraska pulled Parrish's redshirt. 

Gantry, if you are telling me that the kid from Nebraska that wrestled Pletcher at 133 is a true freshman, then pulling his red shirt maybe the dumbest thing I can think of. I don't care if he was the only one on the roster,  then just forfeit. In no way, shape, form or fashion did he even give any semblance of an effort. All he was doing was trying to avoid giving up bonus points. He needs a lot of work and he didn't get better at all in that match. I don't know what else to say other than it is astounding to me that his red shirt was pulled.

7 minutes ago, Aviator12 said:

If you read his text it says or maybe kerk goes hwy, Singletary drops to 97 and Hoffman goes 84.. that read to me as a scenario for next season, which obviously wouldn’t work.

its possible the following but there are two scenarios ahead of that in the pecking order including Hoffman bumping up to his more natural 197, or Hoffman staying at 84 and one of Amos/Ferrari taking over 197.

The grand slam scenario is landing Amos/Ferrari but even if that didn’t happen I think Hoffman at 197 trumps Singletary going down.

I have recently stood right next to Hoffman and IMO, while he could wrestle 197, he is definitely not too big to wrestle 184. He certainly is a quality wrestler but in no way would 184 be a hard cut for him assuming he's doing all the right things such as watching his diet and so on. He's just not that big nor is he that cut that he couldn't keep the weight off and, if they get Amos or Ferrari, it would definitely mean 184 for him.

21 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Gantry, if you are telling me that the kid from Nebraska that wrestled Pletcher at 133 is a true freshman, then pulling his red shirt maybe the dumbest thing I can think of. I don't care if he was the only one on the roster,  then just forfeit. In no way, shape, form or fashion did he even give any semblance of an effort. All he was doing was trying to avoid giving up bonus points. He needs a lot of work and he didn't get better at all in that match. I don't know what else to say other than it is astounding to me that his red shirt was pulled. 

His redshirt was pulled in January, they had a senior who wrestled early in the year and even beat Montorie Bridges of Wyoming.  Maybe he got hurt or something though because his last match was right before Parrish started wrestling in duals.  Still they have six 133 pounders (2 are seniors) on their roster according to their website. 

4 minutes ago, Gantry said:

His redshirt was pulled in January, they had a senior who wrestled early in the year and even beat Montorie Bridges of Wyoming.  Maybe he got hurt or something though because his last match was right before Parrish started wrestling in duals.  Still they have six 133 pounders (2 are seniors) on their roster according to their website. 

I'm sitting here shaking my head. So he's not the only 133 on the roster, they have one who beat Bridges from Wyoming and others. I don't get it. I realize I don't know as much wrestling as the Nebraska coaches but if they've got other people why pull his shirt? He certainly is not going to do anything to help them come tournament time unless he was sick, injured, and three or four other issues today. He may be a great kid and have a great future but pulling his red shirt is not going to help their team 1 point.

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Keep doubting Cenzo. Keep doubting. His Mom is gonna wear that woolen hat and pull Cenzo thru with her good luck charm. 

I’m with you Bar. I was about to post “nobody’s a threat to Cenzo” but you said it better.

Edited by BigTimeFan

4 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Ive heard this thought before--possibly on FRL-- but I it's just not true.  And Cenzo is one of my favorite wrestlers.  Daniel Lewis rode the piss out of him in the QF match at NCAAs.  I believe it was over 2 minutes in the 1st period because Cenzo had to work really hard on top to erase the RT.  (edit: it was 2:23)

I know Chad Walsh gave him some trouble at the Keystone Classic his freshman year as well. 

This year Dellavecchia racked up 90 seconds of riding and White reached nearly a minute before cutting him, probably realizing he couldn't finish the period on top without stalling. 

Wick can ride Cenzo and I might expect him to.  I just think Cenzo is a level above Wick on his feet. 

Edited by LemonPie

6 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

Ive heard this thought before--possibly on FRL-- but I it's just not true.  And Cenzo is one of my favorite wrestlers.  Daniel Lewis rode the piss out of him in the QF match at NCAAs.  I believe it was over 2 minutes in the 1st period because Cenzo had to work really hard on top to erase the RT.  (edit: it was 2:23)

I know Chad Walsh gave him some trouble at the Keystone Classic his freshman year as well. 

This year Dellavecchia racked up 90 seconds of riding and White reached nearly a minute before cutting him, probably realizing he couldn't finish the period on top without stalling. 

Wick can ride Cenzo and I might expect him to.  I just think Cenzo is a level above Wick on his feet. 

Well you ruined my narrative

Edited by Housebuye

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

Well you ruined my narrative

Same here. I don't know why I took that at face value. Interesting to note that Lewis uses a similar ride as Wick. Much more intrigued by this match. I hope they give Marinelli the 1 seed at Big Tens, so we are pretty much guaranteed to get it. I'll still take Joseph, but he'll probably need to open up a little more on his feet than usual against top guys.