gowrestle

Whizzer-Origin of name?

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

It is named after former Supreme Court justice Byron "Whizzer" White.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_White

Learned it as "Whizzer" and teach an uchi-mata with a whizzer and wrist.

As for Justice White, I wonder if he ever played against this true American Bad-A$$ - who was also a collegiate wrestler - while at CU Boulder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_William_Walt

Edited by PSUSMC

I actually know the answer to this.  Back when we were building the railroads in the USA, guys would ride the cars out to where they needed to keep working.  There were no bathrooms in the trains.  When they would have to "take a whizz" they would hang on to a rail and piss off the side.  They called this rail a "whizzer rail" and would overhook it with one arm and use the other to control their member.  Lots of these dudes wrestled for fun in their off time and would compete with each other after work.  The overhook from standing looked like guys hanging on the whizzer rail, so the move got named a whizzer.

If anyone knows why or how the term "chancery" came about, I would be curious to know that.

Edited by olddirty

6 minutes ago, olddirty said:

I actually know the answer to this.  Back when we were building the railroads in the USA.  Guys would ride the cars out to where they needed to keep working.  There were no bathrooms in the trains.  When they would have to "take a whizz" they would hang on to a rail and piss off the side.  They called this rail a "whizzer rail" and would overhook it with one arm and use the other to control their member.  The overhook from standing looked like guys hanging on the whizzer rail, so the move got named a whizzer.

I've never heard of either of these explanations but they're pretty interesting. And the railroad thing could lend credence to the Lehigh connection. Lehigh's founder was a railroad guy and when  Leeman came to Lehigh the rails were still a big thing in the Valley.

22 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I've never heard of either of these explanations but they're pretty interesting. And the railroad thing could lend credence to the Lehigh connection. Lehigh's founder was a railroad guy and when  Leeman came to Lehigh the rails were still a big thing in the Valley.

Gimp, if anyone can find out the genesis of the Whizzer, it’s you. 

2 hours ago, olddirty said:

If anyone knows why or how the term "chancery" came about, I would be curious to know that.

in chancery

1. Literally, in a court of chancery, which is the Lord Chancellor's court (in the UK) or a court of equity (in the US). I'm in chancery today, waiting for the decision in our case to be announced.
2. Faced with a hopeless or challenging situation. I'm in chancery here, trying to fix my car on the side of the road with no clue what to do!

The Head Chancery as taught by George Hackenschmidt in The Complete Science of Wrestling:

"On coming to head-holds and breaking suddenly from them, it frequently happens that one may offer a waist, or leg, or even a double leg-hold to a rushing adversary; practically any opening which may tempt such an opponent to come in quickly with his head and arms down, when by a quick movement of the body and arm the offered hold may be withdrawn slightly and the opponent's head trapped in chancery by throwing either arm round his neck from above."

Being put in chancery by Hackenschmidt sounds like being faced with a hopeless or challenging situation.  Hence, the origin of the term.  (At least that's my theory - and I'm sticking to it until a better one comes along.)

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

6 hours ago, olddirty said:

I actually know the answer to this.  Back when we were building the railroads in the USA, guys would ride the cars out to where they needed to keep working.  There were no bathrooms in the trains.  When they would have to "take a whizz" they would hang on to a rail and piss off the side.  They called this rail a "whizzer rail" and would overhook it with one arm and use the other to control their member.  Lots of these dudes wrestled for fun in their off time and would compete with each other after work.  The overhook from standing looked like guys hanging on the whizzer rail, so the move got named a whizzer.

Beat me to it...lol

Pretty sure I typed Whizz meaning to urinate originate 1929, not 1839. Not a lot of rail line original construction since 1929.

If Whiz(Z) appeared as a synonym for Urinate half a century earlier, the hanging from a rail term would not be unreasonable. Of course railroad construction trains likely did not so much whizz by as creep.

I guess Wiz, Whiz, + Whizz are both synonyms and homonyms.

Edited by RichB

He's out in Arizona I believe. Came out this way recently, I think.

Coach Turner wasn't aware of Leeman naming it as he recalls knowing the name Whizzer while in HS starting in '53 prior to going to Lehigh.