Sign in to follow this  
wessegar

141: #1 Maple vs #2 H. Stieber

While Logan Stieber seems to get all the attention, younger brother Hunter is putting together quite the sophomore campaign going 30-0 and ranked #2 behind Maple. Maple is sitting at 25-0 and looks to be the favored.

What are the thoughts on this potential national championship match-up?

w.s

The problem here (i havent seen Maple all too much) but of what i have seen his strength is on his feet, and with Hunters TD Clinic on Ballweg i think the two will be quiet the Neutral Match-up there might be a bunch of points or no points at all on their feet it will interesting to say the least!

Wow, how can anyone say that Maple wins comfortably? HS is a very smart wrestler. He's improved greatly from last year.

I do agree that Maple may have the upper hand but IMO he won't win comfortably. BTW, I have no dog in this fight. Strictly my educated opinion. 8-)

Wow, how can anyone say that Maple wins comfortably? HS is a very smart wrestler. He's improved greatly from last year.

I do agree that Maple may have the upper hand but IMO he won't win comfortably. BTW, I have no dog in this fight. Strictly my educated opinion. 8-)

By comfortably, I mean the result is never in doubt. No bonus points are likely.

I think Hunter wins this fairly easily. His learning curve this year has really expanded. I think this match is getting no hype becasue of three other great potential match ups. I think we should add this one to the anticipated finals matches with:

1. Dake vs Taylor

2 Q vs Killer...never wrestled in any style. I am really looking forward to this. Could be a Hahn vs Trenge

3 Steiber vs Maple ..This one to me has bumped some others like Ramos vs Stieber becasue they have just wrestled and Stieber is 4-0 against Ramos

Anyone else notice that H Stieber seemed to die out in the 3rd period of his Big Ten matches? He blew a lead in the semi. And, in the finals, he didn't seem to have the energy to finish his shots after scoring 2 or 3 relatively easy looking takedowns at the beginning of the match. Seemed content just to wait for a stalemate.

If there is one thing that I know about H Stieber though, it's that he is an absolute gamer. He wins big matches. I would never bet against him.

By comfortably, I mean the result is never in doubt. No bonus points are likely.

Maybe you're right, again I haven't seen Maple much. I just can't see anyone easily handle H. Steiber. He's tough on his feet, his positioning is top shelf. He looks like a national champ to me.

On a side note, it's unreal how good some of these kids are coming out of HS, compared to my days. The younger wrestlers are way past where we were. The training today for youth/HS wrestling is superior.

If i remember correctly Maple was the favorite to make the finals against Russle, and loses a close one to Montell, and then again to Novachkov, not saying the kid isnt good cause hes really good, but doesnt perform under the lights, and the way Hunter pushes the pressure on i think maples loses in the close match to hunter

Don't forget Mangrum .... Maple pinned Mangrum @ 4:09, Mangrum pinned Stieber @ 4:14... Last year on the backside brackets ...

VERY, VERY curious to the seeding in this weight class this year ... later today. :shock:

Don't forget Mangrum .... Maple pinned Mangrum @ 4:09, Mangrum pinned Stieber @ 4:14... Last year on the backside brackets ...

VERY, VERY curious to the seeding in this weight class this year ... later today. :shock:

True, but Stieber dominated Mangrum this year at Vegas. Plus, we all know that nobody from Oregon or Washington stands a chance against anyone from Ohio... That said, I seriously hope Mangrum gets the 4 seed.

Anyone else notice that H Stieber seemed to die out in the 3rd period of his Big Ten matches? He blew a lead in the semi. And, in the finals, he didn't seem to have the energy to finish his shots after scoring 2 or 3 relatively easy looking takedowns at the beginning of the match. Seemed content just to wait for a stalemate.

If there is one thing that I know about H Stieber though, it's that he is an absolute gamer. He wins big matches. I would never bet against him.

This definitely has some validity. He doesn't really gas out, but has a decent amount of matches where he gets 3-4 TDs in the 1st period, gets ridden and worn down in the 2nd and his opponent snags a TD in the 3rd making it quite close.

Watch Stieber vs. Nevinger at Vegas, then realize that Maple is even with Hunter in neutral and as good as Nevinger on top; that is what I'd worry about.

I like Maple here.

Hunter has become one of my favorite wrestlers to watch, being so slick with his TDs. He reminds me of a young Russian who has yet to develop physically but has such superior technique that he is able to beat almost anyone.

That said, Maple is so strong all-around that I think his edge in physical maturity will be too much for Hunter at this stage. This match-up reminds me a little of Nickeson vs. Dubuque, precocious young talent with impeccable technique vs. all around stud with man strength. I think it will end the same way, with Maple having the upper hand throughout the whole bout.

If i remember correctly Maple was the favorite to make the finals against Russle, and loses a close one to Montell, and then again to Novachkov, not saying the kid isnt good cause hes really good, but doesnt perform under the lights, and the way Hunter pushes the pressure on i think maples loses in the close match to hunter

TOO FUNNY. You used two examples of 2 guys who were both 3x AA's, and returning finalists, who both beat him in OT. They found out that they could wrestle very defensive and wear him down in OT. To use those examples to cite his inability to perform under the lights is VERY disingenuous. Marion was a 2 time finalist(questionable call away from 3x) and Novachkov only lost two VERY close matches in his last 2 NCAA's to Russell and Marion.

With that said, Stieber is talented enough to beat him but he doesn't have the gas tank to employ the strategy the 2 aforementioned wrestlers used to beat Maple last year. I am not saying his gas tank is bad, just not his best attribute like it was for those 2. He will have to keep his pedal to the metal for as long as he can and hope it is enough to get him there in the end.

I like Maple here.

Hunter has become one of my favorite wrestlers to watch, being so slick with his TDs. He reminds me of a young Russian who has yet to develop physically but has such superior technique that he is able to beat almost anyone.

That said, Maple is so strong all-around that I think his edge in physical maturity will be too much for Hunter at this stage. This match-up reminds me a little of Nickeson vs. Dubuque, precocious young talent with impeccable technique vs. all around stud with man strength. I think it will end the same way, with Maple having the upper hand throughout the whole bout.

I agree with just about everything you said here. At this stage, I believe Maple is just too much. I think next year's bout between these two will be much more interesting.

I like Maple here.

I agree with just about everything you said here. At this stage, I believe Maple is just too much. I think next year's bout between these two will be much more interesting.

I kind of think Maple will be moving up to 149 next year to make room for a growing Cody Brewer.

Comfortably? You really think so? I don't know, I haven't seen much of Maple, but Steiber looks really good this year, vastly ahead of a year ago, IMO.

Watch Maple and see if you still feel the same way. Hunter is very, very good but Maple will be a handful for him. Maple is not Ballweg.

Hunter better on the feet, Maple better on the mat. Maple very good on feet, Hunter underrated on the mat. Should be a real humdinger but Hunter wins it! :-)

Maple = Blazing speed & Cat Quick.

I love Hunter Stieber but there is no denying that Kendrick Maple might be the best wrestler in the country that no one talks about. He has a perfect build for a wrestler plus he's terrific on his feet and can ride you into the ground.

Hunter has to wrestle a perfect match to beat him. He'll need at least two takedowns while giving up zero. And he can't choose bottom.