portajohn

Nick Suriano

I'm all for wrestlers being able to transfer out of a university, think it's fair, and happy for him he did so.  Coaches don't get penalized for it.  But, in Suriano's case it seems as if he hasn't developed and his game hasn't approved since moving to Rutgers.  He hasn't been able to win the big matches.  Leaves me wondering if it's Nick or if Goodale is a subpar coach.

He took his worst loss ever at 125

And his smack talking is 1000% better at Rutgers than it was at PSU. The way he called out Micic at CKLV was classic and will never get old. If he'd been at PSU he wouldn't have ever been so intimidating on the mic.

5 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

And his smack talking is 1000% better at Rutgers than it was at PSU. The way he called out Micic at CKLV was classic and will never get old. If he'd been at PSU he wouldn't have ever been so intimidating on the mic.

Who would you say is his worse loss

15 minutes ago, GenralLee said:

Do not forget that he has moved up to a much tougher weight class. Lizak having similar results from the move up. If  Suriano was still at 125 things would be more clear. 

Hear what you're saying but at the same time if you look at DeSanto's progression after his transfer to Iowa vs Suriano it's hard not to wonder if he's actually digressing.  IMO Suriano is much more talented than DeSanto.  Just wondering on my keyboard if the Rutgers coaching staff is hurting his potential.

36 minutes ago, portajohn said:

I'm all for wrestlers being able to transfer out of a university, think it's fair, and happy for him he did so.  Coaches don't get penalized for it.  But, in Suriano's case it seems as if he hasn't developed and his game hasn't approved since moving to Rutgers.  He hasn't been able to win the big matches.  Leaves me wondering if it's Nick or if Goodale is a subpar coach.

When was he able to win big matches at PSU?  His biggest match while he was there was a loss to Gilman.  He showed tons of potential there but he certainly didn't show an ability to win big matches there.

2 minutes ago, PSUMike said:

You mean transferring to Rutgers from Penn State is not a good idea?! Color me shocked. 

PSU has been a major player in D1 wrestling forever. Rutgers is a new kid on the block. 15 years ago Rutgers was on the level of American, George Mason, and Hofstra. The Scarlet Knights were wooped by Michigan today but most matches were competitive. I love following the Nittany Lions and I am thrilled to see the slow assent Rutgers is making. 

56 minutes ago, portajohn said:

NCAA semis against the returning national champ wasn’t a big match?  Tell me more.

51 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

DeSanto was definitely his worst loss.

Other than that his only non injury default losses are to world medalists (Gilman, Lee, Fix, Micic).

PSU has been a major player in D1 wrestling forever. Rutgers is a new kid on the block. 15 years ago Rutgers was on the level of American, George Mason, and Hofstra. The Scarlet Knights were wooped by Michigan today but most matches were competitive. I love following the Nittany Lions and I am thrilled to see the slow assent Rutgers is making. 
Suriano wrestles tight in big matches trying to over power his opponents. For all the hype, the guy is passive in big matches.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Suriano wrestles tight in big matches trying to over power his opponents. For all the hype, the guy is passive in big matches.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Did you watch the Micic match?  He was the aggressor.

Are there any big 10 matches left that impact the big 10 seeding?  Suriano would get a new opponent either way before his rematch with Desanto.   He will at least make it to the finals. 

Quarters could be (intermat rankings):

Micic 1 - Tutolo 8

Pletcher 4 - Lizak 5

Suriano 3 - RBY 6

Desanto 2 - Thorton 7

Or using flo rankings:

Micic 1 - Tutolo 8

Lizak 4 - RBY 5

Suriano 3 - Pletcher 6

Desanto 2 - Thorton 7

10 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

Topics like these are insufferable and discredit just how hard collegiate wrestling is. All of his losses to top competition and suddenly the sky is falling. Better hope Cenzo doesn't lose a match or people will call for Carl to step down. 

Suriano hasn’t ducked anyone. He has never whinned after a loss. His journey continues. 

34 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

This thread again? You can tell there’s a lull in wrestling.

Suriano’s development is centered around folk style and that is limiting him more than what room he is in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is folkstyle limiting him in folkstyle? 

22 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

How is folkstyle limiting him in folkstyle? 

He's a straight on wrestler with little creativity.

If he can't bully his way through a hand fight, he struggles.  Against guys with a higher wrestling IQ and more experience he will struggle to score on them.  He also is limited in his ability to defend against the better guys that can actually get in on his legs while seasoned freestylers can negotiate traditionally tough positions.

In other words.....he has a low ceiling for improvement.

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Did you watch the Micic match?  He was the aggressor.

Suriano was definitely the aggressor and got in deep ~3 times. He'll go back, watch the film, make adjustments on finishing the single, and it will be another great match the next time they wrestle. I have been really impressed with Micic all year and his ability to put up big points against guys that are typically tough to score on (Pletcher). His ability to finish when he gets to the legs is excellent. Suriano did a great job hand fighting and slowing down Micic and getting his offense going. I'm looking forward to Big 10s and NCAAs.

10 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

If he can't bully his way through a hand fight, he struggles.  Against guys with a higher wrestling IQ and more experience he will struggle to score on them.  He also is limited in his ability to defend against the better guys that can actually get in on his legs while seasoned freestylers can negotiate traditionally tough positions.

I agree with your assessment but I disagree that his ceiling is low. Particularly in neutral he actually reminds me a bit of college era Tom Brands, although Brands was much more aggressive. While it's clear Suriano is happy where he ended up, I think that Iowa would have been his ultimate ideal fit. My solution for him is that nothing is wrong with his technique, I just think he needs to up his pace and overwhelm guys with it and the conditioning aspect Iowa stresses would have gotten him there IMO.

16 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

But that isn't folkstyle per se limiting him in folkstyle, it is poor coaching or poor acceptance of coaching. Otherwise you could make the same claim about all D1 wrestlers.

Btw, I agree that he lacks creativity. He'd have more of that ingredient had he stayed at PSU, but that is a whole nother story as they say.

Edited by TBar1977