Jump to content
portajohn

Nick Suriano

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, portajohn said:

Hear what you're saying but at the same time if you look at DeSanto's progression after his transfer to Iowa vs Suriano it's hard not to wonder if he's actually digressing.  IMO Suriano is much more talented than DeSanto.  Just wondering on my keyboard if the Rutgers coaching staff is hurting his potential.

Well Desanto went from Drexel to one of the best rooms in the country.  And Suriano went from one of the best rooms in the country to Rutgers. I would expect Desanto to improve. Don't think Suriano is regressing just not progressing. Let' see how the post season plays out before we write off Suriano.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, custom fitch said:

I agree with your assessment but I disagree that his ceiling is low. Particularly in neutral he actually reminds me a bit of college era Tom Brands, although Brands was much more aggressive. While it's clear Suriano is happy where he ended up, I think that Iowa would have been his ultimate ideal fit. My solution for him is that nothing is wrong with his technique, I just think he needs to up his pace and overwhelm guys with it and the conditioning aspect Iowa stresses would have gotten him there IMO.

Tom Brands much more committed to moving forward and staying engaged in hand fights than Suriano.  Suriano is in and out all the time.  He is looking to attack via transition and breaks from handfighting rather than using the handfight to get to his attack.  

I see him being dangerous against Fix, probably should beat DeSanto, and fighting a widening gap against Micic.  The kid is still really good and likely not less than top 4 with a potential at the finals again.  Just my .5 cents worth of 2 cents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

Tom Brands much more committed to moving forward and staying engaged in hand fights than Suriano.  Suriano is in and out all the time.  He is looking to attack via transition and breaks from handfighting rather than using the handfight to get to his attack.  

I see him being dangerous against Fix, probably should beat DeSanto, and fighting a widening gap against Micic.  The kid is still really good and likely not less than top 4 with a potential at the finals again.  Just my .5 cents worth of 2 cents. 

Very well said and excellent description of their differences, and somewhat supports what I'm talking about. Suriano is just not a guy who is going to use angles, in/out, fakes, etc to beat the top tier because he just doesn't have that slickness.

If you look at their takedown / attack style (Brands / Suriano), it's very similar. Straight on, textbook form, almost looks a little slow but the form is so good they usually get to the legs. He just needs to maul the dog**** out of guys with his strong hand fighting and physicality and up his pace significantly. Doesn't seem like he has the shape right now to do that for 7 minutes, he's the one breaking at the end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, custom fitch said:

I agree with your assessment but I disagree that his ceiling is low. Particularly in neutral he actually reminds me a bit of college era Tom Brands, although Brands was much more aggressive. While it's clear Suriano is happy where he ended up, I think that Iowa would have been his ultimate ideal fit. My solution for him is that nothing is wrong with his technique, I just think he needs to up his pace and overwhelm guys with it and the conditioning aspect Iowa stresses would have gotten him there IMO.

I agree. Nick seems stuck in his semi-defensive comfort zone. He needs to be far more aggressive and take some chances. Tom Brands was aggressive on the level of Jason Nolf and thing open up big time with that kind of pace. NS has a long way to go to arrive at that level, but he has the talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Suriano hasn’t ducked anyone. He has never whinned after a loss. His journey continues. 

Except refusing to wrestle freestyle after losing to Fix years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need to remember that Suriano moved into a significantly tougher weight this year. 125 has not been particularly deep the last few years. His freshman year, he emerged as the top challenger to Gilman as a true freshman largely due to the overall weakness of the weight. 125 was tougher last year, but Suriano didn't really hit any of the top guys other than Cruz and Rivera, who only entered the tournament as the 10 seed and was not at the same level last year as he is now. He's hit as many if not more hammers this year than he had his entire career combined. 

In addition to the jump in quality of competition, a lot of what he does is somewhat mitigated by the weight jump. He is a power wrestler. He holds position really well and scores mostly off snaps to angles and reattacks. It's harder to do this against the more powerful 133s (Fix) and the longer 133s (Micic). Fix can hold position with him and Micic's length presents finishing problems. The only loss he's had his whole career that is "bad" is Desanto, who has emerged as a legit title contender at this point. Even in that loss, Suriano looked like the better guy and just had things fall apart on him in Carver (wouldn't be the first to have that happen).

Because of the drama involved with his transfer, he was always going to be held to an insane standard by being compared to the Penn State guys. He's never been that kind of wrestler. He is who he is and I actually think he's added more offense since coming to Rutgers (not that he wouldn't have if he stayed at Penn State either). I thought he looked improved last year compared to his freshman year.

We should also probably try to remember that he has 5 non injury default losses: Gilman, Lee, Fix, Desanto, and Micic. 4 of those 5 guys are world medalists, two of them champs. 3 of those 5 were 1 point losses, another was a two point loss on a buzzer beating takedown. His "blowout" loss was 5-1 to Lee who had one of the most dominant tournament runs in recent memory. The dude is elite. He happens to be wrestling at weights with other super elite guys, and hasn't broken through yet. At this point, he may or may not, but that doesn't mean he's regressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bombermule said:

Suriano was definitely the aggressor and got in deep ~3 times. He'll go back, watch the film, make adjustments on finishing the single, and it will be another great match the next time they wrestle. I have been really impressed with Micic all year and his ability to put up big points against guys that are typically tough to score on (Pletcher). His ability to finish when he gets to the legs is excellent. Suriano did a great job hand fighting and slowing down Micic and getting his offense going. I'm looking forward to Big 10s and NCAAs.

Finishing is already Suriano's strength - his conversion rate is extremely high.  Yet he wasn't able to finish against Micic.  That doesn't bode well, especially since Micic is great at figuring guys out the second time he sees them (see Pletcher, DeSanto). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

Except refusing to wrestle freestyle after losing to Fix years ago. 

"refusing to wrestle freestyle" He's never been a freestyle guy and he wrestled Fix after that, so I'm not sure he's ducking anybody. Did Spencer Lee duck high level competition in high school by not showing up to Cadet Greco Trials?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

Finishing is already Suriano's strength - his conversion rate is extremely high.  Yet he wasn't able to finish against Micic.  That doesn't bode well, especially since Micic is great at figuring guys out the second time he sees them (see Pletcher, DeSanto). 

I think one factor with his finishing struggles in that match was that he pretty much only got to his head inside single because Micic is a strong left leg lead. Suriano is a much more efficient head outside finisher. Looked like a combination of him being on his less comfortable attack against a great defensive wrestler with length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suriano also only scored three point against Erneste in a 3-2, and stalled at the end of that match while appearing wiped out.  Refs have also got wise to some of the things that Suriano has done in the past - stalling by constantly interlocking fingers and refusing to shoot, bending the fingers back, not seeking to improve position on top, hands to the face, etc.  He's kind of a dirty wrestler.

That said, it was good to see him take more chances against Micic, although I don't think he is very comfortable doing that. Micic took one full shot and finished it quickly and cleanly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcatfan1992 said:

Needs to spend more time on cardio and less on his abs so he can up his pace.

 

This. 

Hard to be the best wrestler you can be when you are pre occupied with making sure everyone knows you have a six pack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suriano is a great wrestler.  

Suriano will be a high AA this year, and to finish out his career.

Suriano has the ability to be a NC

Suriano is in the toughest weight class in the country, and it's not very close. 

Suriano could be NC this year (probably not), or take two losses and not place.  The latter is highly unlikely, but given how stacked this weight class is, it's not outside the realm of possibility.  (i.e. Imagine Phillippi taking out Fix and Suriano losing Gomez, then Fix and Suriano meet R12 and boom, one of them doesn't place).

This will be "fun".  Like... PSU level "fun".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DEFan79 said:

Suriano also only scored three point against Erneste in a 3-2, and stalled at the end of that match while appearing wiped out. 

I mean, a lot of top guys have close matches against top10 opponents and wrestle tight at the end to win.  Heck Vincenzo Joseph has done it a couple times this year....   I agree that people are holding Suriano to way too high of a standard and he isn't regressing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my take on Nick from  Jersey guy who's watched in person his HS career and now the last 2 years of matches at RU

-I wish Nick the best and hope he is a NC but wouldn't bet on it because...

-Don't think he has the deep belief and conviction that he's the best.  He's a head case.  The drama that's been part of his career supports this

-He's not a complete wrestler (technique wise) as many have discussed.  And you need to be when you wrestle the top, top guys because they will be.

-I think if he stayed at PSU he would've been more 'complete' by now.  DeSanto at IA has showed progress because of better coaching and better competition in the room all week.

-Too much pressure on him.  He became famous and had the target on his back BEFORE he AA'd or made a mark.  And this is the worst for a young kid.  

-A positive for him going into the post season is he's taken the losses, he's not the man anymore and now he can do the hunting and have a payback, chip on his shoulder mental approach, be pissed off and prove everyone wrong.  But he needs to work on and improve his technique and head game in the coming weeks to do so.

Ashnault on the other hand has upped his game and has a better mental approach and why he's crushing it and stands a very high chance to be a NC.  He's now better on his feet and mentally he's wrestling care free.  He use to wrestle with the target on his back and lost his big matches to Jack, Heil and the like.  No more of that for Ash.  Suriano needs to to be like Ashnault.

This is what I'd be telling him if I was his coach.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, josephe said:

Here's my take on Nick from  Jersey guy who's watched in person his HS career and now the last 2 years of matches at RU

-I wish Nick the best and hope he is a NC but wouldn't bet on it because...

-Don't think he has the deep belief and conviction that he's the best.  He's a head case.  The drama that's been part of his career supports this

-He's not a complete wrestler (technique wise) as many have discussed.  And you need to be when you wrestle the top, top guys because they will be.

-I think if he stayed at PSU he would've been more 'complete' by now.  DeSanto at IA has showed progress because of better coaching and better competition in the room all week.

-Too much pressure on him.  He became famous and had the target on his back BEFORE he AA'd or made a mark.  And this is the worst for a young kid.  

-A positive for him going into the post season is he's taken the losses, he's not the man anymore and now he can do the hunting and have a payback, chip on his shoulder mental approach, be pissed off and prove everyone wrong.  But he needs to work on and improve his technique and head game in the coming weeks to do so.

Ashnault on the other hand has upped his game and has a better mental approach and why he's crushing it and stands a very high chance to be a NC.  He's now better on his feet and mentally he's wrestling care free.  He use to wrestle with the target on his back and lost his big matches to Jack, Heil and the like.  No more of that for Ash.  Suriano needs to to be like Ashnault.

This is what I'd be telling him if I was his coach.

 

 

 

Spot on about Ashnault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Suriano is tough as they come... in March, depending on his seed, I expect to see him upset at least a wrestler - maybe two.

Exactly.  Wait until NCAA's in the toughest weight class to give an opinion.

He is still the #2 or at worst #3 guy at 125 regardless if he stayed or left.

Would've Gulibon done better elsewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

 

This. 

Hard to be the best wrestler you can be when you are pre occupied with making sure everyone knows you have a six pack. 

Lol, top quality analysis TBar. His physical conditioning is suffering because he's too focused on getting abs by *checks notes* being in incredible physical condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gantry said:

I mean, a lot of top guys have close matches against top10 opponents and wrestle tight at the end to win.  Heck Vincenzo Joseph has done it a couple times this year....   I agree that people are holding Suriano to way too high of a standard and he isn't regressing. 

Erneste is notoriously difficult to wrestle. I'm pretty sure Fix only scored one takedown on him too. It's clear that Suriano rubs a lot of people the wrong way with his persona. Honestly, I'm not much of a fan either. I think it's cheesy. But to say that he isn't elite is stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

 

This. 

Hard to be the best wrestler you can be when you are pre occupied with making sure everyone knows you have a six pack. 

Same as Downey....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×