Jump to content
portajohn

Nick Suriano

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Lol, top quality analysis TBar. His physical conditioning is suffering because he's too focused on getting abs by *checks notes* being in incredible physical condition.

When your instagram has 40 percent of the pics being your own abs, it ain't a case of physical condition. It is his mentality. It shows he has a different goal other than wrestling that creeps in and takes over. You can believe what you want, but any half wit sports psychologist would raise an eyebrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Exactly.  Wait until NCAA's in the toughest weight class to give an opinion.

He is still the #2 or at worst #3 guy at 125 regardless if he stayed or left.

Would've Gulibon done better elsewhere?

 

It is kindof interesting.   He probably has a better chance of winning 133 than 125, but he also has a better chance of finishing 6th or worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually picked Suriano to beat Spencer Lee last year, then I picked Suriano to beat Daton Fix. Now, that Fix match was a joke the way it was officiated, but his subsequent losses even against top guys are telling. He is a half notch below those guys. 

Not sure he can get over the hurdle without a change in perspective.

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I actually picked Suriano to beat Spencer Lee last year, then I picked Suriano to beat Daton Fix. Now, that Fix match was a joke the way it was officiated, but his subsequent losses even against top guys are telling. He is a half notch below those guys. 

Not sure he can get over the hurdle without a change in perspective.

 

Not exactly sure what you mean by “change in perspective” but IMO he learned from the Fix match in particular and that’s why he was more aggressive against against Micic.  But hopefully he doesn’t go back to the tentative-ness because that didn’t really work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

 

Not exactly sure what you mean by “change in perspective” but IMO he learned from the Fix match in particular and that’s why he was more aggressive against against Micic.  But hopefully he doesn’t go back to the tentative-ness because that didn’t really work.

I would say he was slightly more aggressive, not fully so. I viewed his shots as not 100 percent committed. Micic took one shot, but he went all in on that shot which made it possible to convert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I would say he was slightly more aggressive, not fully so. I viewed his shots as not 100 percent committed. Micic took one shot, but he went all in on that shot which made it possible to convert.

Dude, come on. Nobody gets in deep 5 times against a high level wrestler without fully committing. Not finishing is not the same as not committing. Micic finished because he's a better finisher, not because "he went all in."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

When your instagram has 40 percent of the pics being your own abs, it ain't a case of physical condition. It is his mentality. It shows he has a different goal other than wrestling that creeps in and takes over. You can believe what you want, but any half wit sports psychologist would raise an eyebrow.

Yeah, this is insane. You (and several others on this forum) repeatedly project mentalities onto this kid and others. He's one of the most notorious work horses in the sport. Focus less on trying to project onto college wrestlers and focus more on the actual wrestling so you can offer better analysis than "Micic won because he really went all in."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dude, come on. Nobody gets in deep 5 times against a high level wrestler without fully committing. Not finishing is not the same as not committing. Micic finished because he's a better finisher, not because "he went all in."

Gotta rewatch the match, thought he was in deep twice. Micic squared him off out front once and keylocked the single with a shin whizzer the other.
Micic definitely in cleaner, and as you mentioned finished quicker.
Suriano’s leg defense needs improvement if he is going win it. He doesn’t let many guys near his legs but when they get in they tend to finish.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Yeah, this is insane. You (and several others on this forum) repeatedly project mentalities onto this kid and others. He's one of the most notorious work horses in the sport. Focus less on trying to project onto college wrestlers and focus more on the actual wrestling so you can offer better analysis than "Micic won because he really went all in."

Actually, I used to always pick him. Thought he was a primacdonna, but I would pick him anyway based purely on skills.

By complete chance doing a search of his results today I saw a link to his Instagram. Never seen anything quite like it. I doubt you will ever find an NCAA champ whose Instagram looks like that.

Not suggesting anything other than that he seems weirdly pre occupied with his own abs. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LordNelson said:


Gotta rewatch the match, thought he was in deep twice. Micic squared him off out front once and keylocked the single with a shin whizzer the other.
Micic definitely in cleaner, and as you mentioned finished quicker.
Suriano’s leg defense needs improvement if he is going win it. He doesn’t let many guys near his legs but when they get in they tend to finish.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just rewatched the match. He got elbow deep on his sweep 4.5 times in the match. I added a .5 because he was in a 5th time with about 5 to go and was driving to his feet as time ran out and probably would have gotten elbow deep a fifth time (still don't think he finishes). It was not a commitment issue, it was a finishing issue. He also took two more committed attacks that Micic stuffed that I counted. Significantly out shot MIcic in the match, but Micic was more efficient.

You're definitely right about his leg defense. The finishes for Micic and Desanto were way too easy. You can tell he's not used to having people on his legs. If you can get to him, you can finish. That's his weakest link for sure.

Edited by qc8223

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Actually, I used to always pick him. Thought he was a primacdonna, but I would pick him anyway based purely on skills.

By complete chance doing a search of his results today I saw a link to his Instagram. Never seen anything quite like it. I doubt you will ever find an NCAA champ whose Instagram looks like that.

I've seen his instagram. He's a typical Jersey kid. Cassar has similar pics on his instagram. Does he lack a champion's mentality? If he doesn't win this year, will it be because he has shirtless mirror pics on his instagram or because he ran into elite competition? Again, stick to analysis of the actual wrestling. None of us are close enough to these kids to accurately assess mentality. It's all wild conjecture. If he were really a headcase, I think he would have taken some worse losses at this point.

I think the reality is that he's been in two weights that have had world-level competitors, which is rare at this level and why I think some of us don't really appreciate it right now. He had Gilman who was a few months away from being in the world finals. Spencer Lee, a 3x age level world champ, was his only loss last year, and he completely controlled his match against returning champ Cruz in the semis. This year he has losses to Fix (world champ) on a hands to the face in a match where there was absolutely no separation, Micic (world medalist, dominated this year's world runner up a month before worlds and has a Euro Bronze), and Desanto. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suriano is good enough to win it. His mentality won’t block him like it could for Desanto, it may thwart his day to day improvement that many claim he’s not making.

It’s PSU vanity is all. Their team could win by 50 and they’ll never forgive Suriano, Bubba Jenkins, relent on believing Cael was saving Andrew Long, admit the Alton twins had a tough go downtown, or believe that Dake swept Taylor “legitimately”.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

When your instagram has 40 percent of the pics being your own abs, it ain't a case of physical condition. It is his mentality. It shows he has a different goal other than wrestling that creeps in and takes over. You can believe what you want, but any half wit sports psychologist would raise an eyebrow.

What about a good psychologist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I think Suriano, is a pretty tough customer, and I could very well see him in the finals at the NCAA's. But right now I have to say that Micic seems to be the guy who has been flying perfectly so far this season. But I think these two will probably meet again at the Big 10's so we will see if Suriano can make any adjustments in his finishes, and if he can, it may change how we think about a potential match up at the NCAA's will play out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Are we still talking about winning an NCAA title? That is all my comment is about. I'm sure my take will be wrong and he will win NCAA championships.

I don’t think he’ll win any titles, pretty sure it has absolutely nothing to do with his Instagram acct though. There’s a big difference between “pre-occupied” and goofing on social media. As many many very dedicated college athletes do in various forms. 

Now stop stalking college kids nudes. It’s creepy. Move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, de4856 said:

Well, I think Suriano, is a pretty tough customer, and I could very well see him in the finals at the NCAA's. But right now I have to say that Micic seems to be the guy who has been flying perfectly so far this season. But I think these two will probably meet again at the Big 10's so we will see if Suriano can make any adjustments in his finishes, and if he can, it may change how we think about a potential match up at the NCAA's will play out. 

I do agree that Micic is the favorite, but it will really depend on seeds IMO.  I could see DeSanto beating Micic since he has once before and likely wants to make up for what happened last year.  But then I could see someone else (including Suriano if they meet again) beating DeSanto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I do agree that Micic is the favorite, but it will really depend on seeds IMO.  I could see DeSanto beating Micic since he has once before and likely wants to make up for what happened last year.  But then I could see someone else (including Suriano if they meet again) beating DeSanto.

I see Micic's losses to Pletcher and Desanto last year at CKLV as more of an outlier. Something was up with Micic then and it hasn't shown itself again since. It's not impossible that he would lose to either of these guys again but I'd say it's unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be interesting to see how Suriano handles the gauntlet of Big10s and the NCAAs with a loaded weight class.  Last year at NCAAs, he didn't meet a top guy until the semis, and beat Cruz 2-0 in a match where he didn't really do anything.  We all know what happened in the finals.

I thought Suriano has looked tired a few times this year against top guys:  he looked gassed to me against Erneste, he was clearly exhausted at the end of the DeSanto match while DeSanto was still in high gear, and he looked noticeably slower in the 3rd period against Micic.  This doesn't bode well for him.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Erneste is notoriously difficult to wrestle. I'm pretty sure Fix only scored one takedown on him too. It's clear that Suriano rubs a lot of people the wrong way with his persona. Honestly, I'm not much of a fan either. I think it's cheesy. But to say that he isn't elite is stupid.

Fix took Erneste down twice - plus he got back points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×