portajohn

Nick Suriano

I've never seen anything out of Suriano but extreme professionalism and his work ethic seems to be legendary.  He is an elite college wrestler but he has trouble with other elite guys because, in my opinion, he has zero creativity.  He is really, really good at the basics.  He is not a scrambler and this allows guys to be able to finish on him if they can get to his legs.  His defense is managed by the fact that fundamentally he is elite, stays in good position, and is very strong.  He CAN win a NC with this style but it's tough.

His style reminds of Matt Brown at PSU.  Brown was a little more punishing physically than Suriano is but Brown was a simple wrestler, with good technique, brutally strong, and a big gas tank.  

4 hours ago, DEFan79 said:

Fix took Erneste down twice - plus he got back points.

Did he get one late that I don't remember? I know he actually hit his inside trip for backs from the top position. Could definitely have missed a second one.

1 minute ago, qc8223 said:

Did he get one late that I don't remember? I know he actually hit his inside trip for backs from the top position. Could definitely have missed a second one.

In the third period.  Final score was 9-2.  Fix had 2+4+1+2

His style reminds of Matt Brown at PSU.  Brown was a little more punishing physically than Suriano is but Brown was a simple wrestler, with good technique, brutally strong, and a big gas tank.  

I can see the comparison .... A difference might be that Suriano is missing Matt's "heavy hands" coupled with pressure. What I remember about Matt was him winning some close matches with a late takedown, probably because his opponent's neutral position and stamina had deteriorated. I recall Matt doing more from close ties than from space and remember his teammates commenting about his hands. I haven't seen much of Suriano since he left PSU but if he has the (relative) strength advantage that Matt had, he doesn't exploit it as well.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Just now, swoopdown said:

I can see the comparison .... A difference might be that Suriano is missing Matt's "heavy hands" coupled with pressure. What I remember about Matt was him winning some close matches with a late takedown, probably because his opponent's neutral position and stamina had deteriorated. I recall Matt doing more from close ties than from space and remember his teammates commenting about his hands. I haven't seen much of Suriano since he left PSU but if he has the (relative) strength advantage that Matt had, he doesn't exploit it as well.

I remember Matt being like 26 years old

1 hour ago, StallWarning said:

He is from Utah and did a 2 year mission and when he came back he transferred to PSU to use his last two years of eligibility.  

He went 2, 5, 1 at NCAAs. During his freshman year (2012) he wrestled 174 to 197. He got all 4 years in at Penn State.

He was also the GOAT of inducing locked hands calls out of his opponents. 
I'd like to think that Matt was smart and figured out his opponent was bending the rules by hanging on too long when a knee returned to the mat ... but this has the scent of good scouting and coaching. Casey Cunningham is my bet for giving Matt the edge.

3 hours ago, StallWarning said:

He is from Utah and did a 2 year mission and when he came back he transferred to PSU to use his last two years of eligibility.  

I don't think that should be allowed. Every year those guys are on "mission" they should lose a corresponding year of eligibility. Why don't they wait until they graduate before going on missions? Easy, the results are so much better when you have 2 years to work on your physical strength, endurance, etc BEFORE 'starting' your college athletic career.

Edited by TobusRex

36 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I don't think that should be allowed. Every year those guys are on "mission" they should lose a corresponding year of eligibility. Why don't they wait until they graduate before going on missions? Easy, the results are so much better when you have 2 years to work on your physical strength, endurance, etc BEFORE 'starting' your college athletic career.

Missions were set up this way long before the NCAA was a thing. 

20 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Missions were set up this way long before the NCAA was a thing. 

Yeah, I know. And it's still a huge advantage for the kids who do those missions, and unfair to other athletes. Dock them eligibility if they do the missions BEFORE college. If they are legitimately going on missions for "religious reasons" then they can certainly wait until they graduate. God ain't going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not to mention they are not training during their two years.  I'm sure that is not to say they are not exercising, but they are not training and developing their game on any kind of regular basis at all. So they may be at a little bit of a physical maturity advantage, but definitely at a huge developing their next level wrestling skills disadvantage.  And lastly, EVERYONE has the option to not enroll in college until two years after high school, and have full eligibility.  So its really not unfair at all.

guess i hit quote instead of edit....

Edited by Lurker

55 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I don’t know much about Mormon missions, but I’m very skeptical of the idea that they can make a wrestler better. 

2 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah, I know. And it's still a huge advantage for the kids who do those missions, and unfair to other athletes. Dock them eligibility if they do the missions BEFORE college. If they are legitimately going on missions for "religious reasons" then they can certainly wait until they graduate. God ain't going anywhere.

I mean, anyone is free to convert to Mormonism and serve 2 years doing back breaking labor in a third world country.  Not sure why more athletes aren't taking advantage of this obvious competitive advantage. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I mean, anyone is free to convert to Mormonism and serve 2 years doing back breaking labor in a third world country.  Not sure why more athletes aren't taking advantage of this obvious competitive advantage. 

LOL..you think there isn't an advantage being 20 vs 18 going into college? Especially a "strength" sport like wrestling?

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you sometime.

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

I don’t know much about Mormon missions, but I’m very skeptical of the idea that they can make a wrestler better. 

It's the additional strength/maturity that helps them on the mat. You are fooling yourself if you think Matt Brown spent 2 years eating bon bons amongst the primitives. Guaranteed he had a strict workout regimen he kept to, he got stronger/older over those 2 years.

Just now, TobusRex said:

LOL..you think there isn't an advantage being 20 vs 18 going into college? Especially a "strength" sport like wrestling?

There obviously is an advantage.  And all you have to do is convert to Mormonism and serve a mission.  More kids should do it for the 2 years of strength advantage.

2 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

And you think they are getting the same kind of professional strength development training directly corresponding to wrestling as the 18 and 19 year olds who are training full time with their program? Do you think the advantage they gain from aging two years is that much of a leap over training everyday, both strength and skills, with your college program (and now adays RTC).  I have the same bridge for sale.

Edited by Lurker

Just now, TobusRex said:

It's the additional strength/maturity that helps them on the mat. You are fooling yourself if you think Matt Brown spent 2 years eating bon bons amongst the primitives. Guaranteed he had a strict workout regimen he kept to, he got stronger/older over those 2 years.

I doubt very many Mormon missionaries have access to weight room facilities. They may even be required to wear business-type clothing at all times. 

Just now, Lurker said:

And you think they are getting the same kind of professional strength development training directly corresponding to wrestling as the 18 and 19 year olds who are training full time with their program?  I have the same bridge for sale.

You are completely missing the point. I don't know if you are being intentionally obtuse or are legitimately ignorant.

A 20 year old who BEGINS HIS COLLEGE CAREER HAS A FAR BETTER CHANCE OF SUCCEEDING THAT IF HE HAD ENROLLED STRAIGHT OUT OF HS. Sorry for screaming? No, I'm not.

Just now, Katie said:

I doubt very many Mormon missionaries have access to weight room facilities. They may even be required to wear business-type clothing at all times. 

Ever heard of pushups? Situps? Jogging? Rolling around with other wrestlers? Do you honestly think that that athlete "missionaries" are neglecting their body for 2 whole years?