Jump to content
portajohn

Nick Suriano

Recommended Posts

Just now, TobusRex said:

You are completely missing the point. I don't know if you are being intentionally obtuse or are legitimately ignorant.

A 20 year old who BEGINS HIS COLLEGE CAREER HAS A FAR BETTER CHANCE OF SUCCEEDING THAT IF HE HAD ENROLLED STRAIGHT OUT OF HS. Sorry for screaming? No, I'm not.

I'm just disagreeing with you.  You gain two years of age, you lose two years of full time training.  Whether or not one is an advantage over the other will largely depend on each individual.  But I completely disagree with "FAR BETTER".  Thank you for the all caps though, I don't know if you're point would have been so much clearer now without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Katie said:

I doubt very many Mormon missionaries have access to weight room facilities. They may even be required to wear business-type clothing at all times. 

I think Matt Brown mentioned in interviews at one point that he had a pretty serious workout regimen primarily using body weight exercises. I think he was projected at 157 and ended up at 174. I also think he set a bunch of physical conditioning records in the ROTC program. Needless to say, he got stronger and more mature in those gap years without putting the wear and tear on his body that he would have in a college room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

 

Ever heard of pushups? Situps? Jogging? Rolling around with other wrestlers? Do you honestly think that that athlete "missionaries" are neglecting their body for 2 whole years?

Tanner Hall. 

That Mission of his didn't look to do much for his physical development...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

 

Ever heard of pushups? Situps? Jogging? Rolling around with other wrestlers? Do you honestly think that that athlete "missionaries" are neglecting their body for 2 whole years?

Maybe if you get the word out, others can convert to Mormonism and take advanatage of this awesome loophole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go on a mission you shouldn't be able to redshirt.

Being 26 yrs old and still wrestling in college is an advantage, especially when your opponents are 18/22 yrs old.

It's bogus and ya'll know it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Katie said:

Maybe if you get the word out, others can convert to Mormonism and take advanatage of this awesome loophole. 

Naw. I'd rather guys have mediocre/poor FR/Soph years rather than turn them onto religious mumbo jumbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

If you go on a mission you shouldn't be able to redshirt.

Being 26 yrs old and still wrestling in college is an advantage, especially when your opponents are 18/22 yrs old.

It's bogus and ya'll know it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 

I’m going to have my son repeat the 8th grade, have him spend a gap year training in the Caucasus, greyshirt him, redshirt him, and then send him on a Mormon mission where he’ll do tons of ferocious pushups. That way, when he finally steps on the mat, he’ll be able to brutalize 18 and 19 year olds.  It’ll be so cool. 

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Katie said:

I’m going to have my son repeat the 8th grade, have him spend a gap year training in the Caucasus, greyshirt him, redshirt him, and then send him on a Mormon mission where he’ll do tons of ferocious pushups. That way, he’ll be able to brutalize 18 and 19 year olds when he finally steps on the mat. 

 

That's a thing now, and has been for decades. Even when I was a kid there were parents holding their kids back for athletic reasons. A kid graduated from my HS about 3 years after I did, won state a time or two. He was 1 year behind me when we were in Elementary School. I don't think he accomplished much in college wrestling, if he was able to get in anywhere.

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TobusRex said:

 

That's a thing now, and has been for decades. Even when I was a kid there were parents holding their kids back for athletic reasons. A kid graduated from my HS about 3 years after I did, won state a time or two. He was 1 year behind me when we were in Elementary School.

And how did his actual life turn out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m going to have my son repeat the 8th grade, have him spend a gap year training in the Caucasus, greyshirt him, redshirt him, and then send him on a Mormon mission where he’ll do tons of ferocious pushups. That way, when he finally steps on the mat, he’ll be able to brutalize 18 and 19 year olds.  It’ll be so cool. 
Sounds like a great plan.

But, you forgot the growth hormones. It's the only way the Russians can win.


Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Sounds like a great plan.

But, you forgot the growth hormones. It's the only way the Russians can win.


Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 

Oh yeah my son will be roided out too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, swoopdown said:

I'd like to think that Matt was smart and figured out his opponent was bending the rules by hanging on too long when a knee returned to the mat ... but this has the scent of good scouting and coaching. Casey Cunningham is my bet for giving Matt the edge.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
 

Definitely not knocking him for it, and definitely got the call against his opponents in his career before the finals.  A GOAT is a GOAT, respect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, swoopdown said:

I'd like to think that Matt was smart and figured out his opponent was bending the rules by hanging on too long when a knee returned to the mat ... but this has the scent of good scouting and coaching. Casey Cunningham is my bet for giving Matt the edge.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
 

Definitely not knocking him for it, and definitely got the call against his opponents in his career before the finals.  A GOAT is a GOAT, respect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Just like this forum. Discussing Suriano and a fierce argument over religious missions pops up!

I wasn’t honestly thinking something similar “how’d this topic turn into a Mormon eligibility debate”  

 

I do do agree with the poster below, if you take a mission or are coming out of one of the branches you shouldn’t get a redshirt. (But then again others could argue those would need to redshirt year more than anyone because they’ve been off the mat...so to speak, and the military should get the redshirt for their service). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, qc8223 said:

I think Matt Brown mentioned in interviews at one point that he had a pretty serious workout regimen primarily using body weight exercises. I think he was projected at 157 and ended up at 174. I also think he set a bunch of physical conditioning records in the ROTC program. Needless to say, he got stronger and more mature in those gap years without putting the wear and tear on his body that he would have in a college room.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865626024/Returned-Mormon-missionary-Matt-Brown-wins-NCAA-wrestling-title.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gantry said:

Definitely not knocking him for it, and definitely got the call against his opponents in his career before the finals.  A GOAT is a GOAT, respect. 

That's the first time I've seen anybody refer to Matt Brown as a GOAT....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×