portajohn

Nick Suriano

1 minute ago, swoopdown said:

So to tie everything up and conclude, Suriano needs to go on a mission, dig holes in Africa and get a clasp hands call if he wants to be an NCAA champion. Well maybe he can dig the holes in Jersey. They have garbage too.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

...and get married and join the ROTC program.

1 minute ago, swoopdown said:

So to tie everything up and conclude, Suriano needs to go on a mission, dig holes in Africa and get a clasp hands call if he wants to be an NCAA champion. Well maybe he can dig the holes in Jersey. They have garbage too.

Can you serve a mission while shirtless?  I always see them in shirt and ties.

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah, I know. And it's still a huge advantage for the kids who do those missions, and unfair to other athletes. Dock them eligibility if they do the missions BEFORE college. If they are legitimately going on missions for "religious reasons" then they can certainly wait until they graduate. God ain't going anywhere.

Take a look at all the kids who came back from two years on Mormon Missions and won an NCAA Title. An extremely short list.

Two years away from the sport is big in muscle memory and technique. If they are spending their time from 6 AM til 9PM doing missionary work they don't have time to work out - unless they are stealing "The Lord's Time".

As for them choosing to wait - it does not fit with the Culture of L-dS, Inc. The age for missions was recently reduced to 18 for men because too many were choosing to forego missions after a year of college. Now - right out of High School, partly as an attempt at keeping them active in their church. As for missiona always being a thing - Joseph Smith, first "prophet of the restoration" sent men on missions and "married" their wife while they were gone. Orson Hyde - an Apostle was sent to dedicate Palestine for the return of the Jews and Joseph Smith "married" Orson's wife while the man was away.

Two years on a church mission gets an exemption just as a tour or more of miiltary service does. Big difference is that one can wrestle while still in the military but on a mission, if one is being honest - there really is little time for it. If two years on a mission was really an advantage you would see BYU Football doing well instead of being a mid major low level performer most of the time. A kid serving a mission for two years is at a competitive disadvantage in many more ways than two years of physical maturity might seem to some. 

Do people really think religious missions offer a competitive advantage because a select few excelled despite the disadvantages of lost mat time and dedicated sport specific training?  I cant tell if this is all sarcasm or if some really think there is an advantage to be had here.  Seems kinda crazy to me.  

2 minutes ago, ironmonkey said:

Do people really think religious missions offer a competitive advantage because a select few excelled despite the disadvantages of lost mat time and dedicated sport specific training?  I cant tell if this is all sarcasm or if some really think there is an advantage to be had here.  Seems kinda crazy to me.  

TobusRex was trolling

Thanks!  Good to know. 

For what it is worth, I think Suriano will step up in March when it counts.  I think he is likely to finish second or third.  All of this talk is premature.   I don't see the regression as much as a tough schedule and a tough weight class.  

Can you serve a mission while shirtless?  I always see them in shirt and ties.

Probably not. Deal breaker for sure. 

As a salty PSU fan, I'm now obligated (I read somewhere that it's a forum expectation and want to comply) to write "just think what Suriano's abs would look like if he hadn't transferred!" And then a platitude .... And Cael can develop abs not just recruit them. You just don't notice them because everyone on the team wears white shirts and ties. Except Cassar. He's been designated the PSU Jersey stud this season and is exempt.

11 hours ago, swoopdown said:

If he is going to do his mission in Jersey, he shouldn't dig holes he should fill their potholes!

Did anyone ever get the true inside scoop on why Suriano moved up to 33?  To move away from Lee?  That was my hunch.

Is he regretting it now?

Nobody is a lock at 33, nor 25.  Think people don't like Suriano.  How about Mcic?  He comes off as a big arrogant ....    Pulling for Nick despite all his shortcomings.

59 minutes ago, josephe said:

Did anyone ever get the true inside scoop on why Suriano moved up to 33?  To move away from Lee?  That was my hunch.

Is he regretting it now?

Nobody is a lock at 33, nor 25.  Think people don't like Suriano.  How about Mcic?  He comes off as a big arrogant ....    Pulling for Nick despite all his shortcomings.

Shortcomings?  They kid works his azz off, is a good sport, understands that college wrestling is not the be all and end all, wants to be near his family, and has about a half dozen losses in the last 7 years.   WTF? 

Edited by TFBJR
spelling

On 2/21/2019 at 8:19 AM, TBar1977 said:

If he is going to do his mission in Jersey, he shouldn't dig holes he should fill their potholes!

He could dig some fresh  new potholes!

And we don't fill potholes, we wait until they even out across the road.

He could dig some fresh  new potholes!
And we don't fill potholes, we wait until they even out across the road.
I read recently that the UK drivers keep to the left on a road and that PA drivers keep on what's left of the road.

125 is the 119 of college. 1) I'm an old 2) I wish, at this point of college athletics in the US being as great as they are, that the lowest class would be 132. I also hope for a 221 and 275 class so proceed with caution

At this point - they are not "Mormon" missionaries. The head of the Church says every time someone uses the name "Mormon" it is a victory for Satan. He stated the full name is the only one to use - Even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". Somehow a hyphen was added and "D" was made lower case even though Jesus revealing the name in 1838 was not that way - and Jesus revealed name was the third name for the outfit.

As for competitive advantage of two years off for wrestlers - check and see how many returned missionaries are NCAA champs. The first "Prophet" was Joseph Smith who was supposedly a good Wrestler in his day and died in a gunfight. BYU cut wrestling - what a way to honor  their founder.

Edited by WillieBoy

8 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

As for competitive advantage  - check and see how many ... are NCAA champs. The first "Prophet" was Joseph Smith who was supposedly a good Wrestler in his day and died in a gunfight. 

Do the math, how many times has Smith won an NCAA title?  I count 9 just from OSU ;)

1 hour ago, WillieBoy said:

At this point - they are not "Mormon" missionaries. The head of the Church says every time someone uses the name "Mormon" it is a victory for Satan. He stated the full name is the only one to use - Even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". Somehow a hyphen was added and "D" was made lower case even though Jesus revealing the name in 1838 was not that way - and Jesus revealed name was the third name for the outfit.

As for competitive advantage of two years off for wrestlers - check and see how many returned missionaries are NCAA champs. The first "Prophet" was Joseph Smith who was supposedly a good Wrestler in his day and died in a gunfight. BYU cut wrestling - what a way to honor  their founder.

I find it comical that, for the fourth time since 1982, the Mormons have launched a campaign to stop being called "Mormons".

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/17/us/mormon-church-name-trnd/index.html

The last Mormon champ that I know of won an NCAA title in 2015 by dropping to a knee.

https://deadspin.com/my-very-uninitiated-understanding-was-that-the-psu-co-1692921941

Edited by lu_alum