Gantry

Cowboy Bulk Job

I mean they've had some doozies:

• Munoz per that interview from 167 as a sophomore to 236!
  • Cormier maxed at 184 with hour before, missed weight at 212 with night before and did a spell at HWT
  • Pendleton started at 165 as a freshman, 174 by a senior and finished his FS carreer at 212 with night before.

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Don't know, but Derek White's transformation has been stunning. I think he was a 174 pounder when he was recruited in HS. Plus, didn't he go to NU first?

Derek White was a 195 lber. He started out at Nebraska at 197, but didn't beat out Aaron Studebaker.

Edited by qc8223

Hayden Zillmer was coming off a 112 pound state championship as a Junior when NDSU recruited him.  He is now wrestling 214 internationally for the Minnesota RTC, and probably watching his weight to make it.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/the-incredible-transformation-of-derek-white-from-197-to-heavyweight/

I'm not making an accusation in this case or any specific one, but what is the drug testing procedure and its frequency in college wrestling now?  

And why do we almost never hear of athletes failing it? 

2 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/the-incredible-transformation-of-derek-white-from-197-to-heavyweight/

I'm not making an accusation in this case or any specific one, but what is the drug testing procedure and its frequency in college wrestling now?  

And why do we almost never hear of athletes failing it? 

Drug testing:  http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/topics/frequently-asked-questions-about-drug-testing

In-season testing is random and uncommon.  In-season tests look for PEDs as well as street drugs.  Out of season tests happen for money sports only and are limited to PEDs.  CHampions and perhaps others are tested at the NCAA tournament

11 hours ago, MNRodent said:

Hayden Zillmer was coming off a 112 pound state championship as a Junior when NDSU recruited him.  He is now wrestling 214 internationally for the Minnesota RTC, and probably watching his weight to make it.

Clearly a huge jump but since Zillmer was wrestling 202 against JDen Cox last year, so I don't think it's a big cut for 214. 

19 hours ago, Gantry said:

• Cormier maxed at 184 with hour before, missed weight at 212 with night before and did a spell at HWT
  • Pendleton started at 165 as a freshman, 174 by a senior and finished his FS carreer at 212 with night before.

Not to nitpick, but Cormier actually made 212, then the doctors advised him not to compete due to kidney concerns.

33 minutes ago, olddirty said:

Not to nitpick, but Cormier actually made 212, then the doctors advised him not to compete due to kidney concerns.

This is correct.  I remember there was quite a discussion about this when it happened.  There was the he-made-weight-so-leave-him-alone camp, and the but-he-couldn't-compete-and-took-away-an-opportunity-from-Hahn camp.

21 hours ago, Gantry said:

The 2005 team that had 5 champions had:

Zack Esposito at 149, 141 as a freshman

Johny Hendricks at 165, 157 as a freshman

Chris Pendleton at 174, 165 as a freshman

Jake Rosholt at 197, 184 as a freshman and sophomore

Since 2001 with Munoz, the majority of OSU national champions have won a title at a different weight than what they started. Only Johnny Thompson and Steve Mocco stayed the same weight throughout their career. Rosholt, Oliver and Dieringer won at their original weights and went up and won again. Perry went down in weight. Pendleton, Esposito, Hendricks and Scott all won up a weight from where they started.

Edited by EnglishBob