D3UC157

YanniD vs McKenna

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I'd say it's far more than a slim chance, and it's Ohio State traveling to Ithaca this time around.  

125) Arujau tf. Heinselman   5-0 Cornell
133) Pletcher dec. Tucker   5-3 Cornell -- could easily go the other way.  Will be a 1 point match.  
141) Yianni dec. McKenna   8-3 Cornell -- could easily go the other way.
149) Jordan tf. Furnas   8-8  -- Jordan pinned him last time around
157) Hayes dec. Santoro   11-8 Ohio State
165) Berreyesa dec. Campbell/Romero   11-11 -- have a hunch they send out Romero who probably doesn't get the W.  
174) Womack dec. Smith   14-11 Cornell
184) Martin dec. Dean   14-14 -- Bonus will be tough to get in a dual setting.
197) Moore dec. Honis   17-14 Ohio State -- Honis is legit.  Moore struggled with him at Vegas and at U23 trials.   
285) Singletary dec. Sweany   20-14 Ohio State -- far from a sure thing.  Could see this going either way.  

It's an extremely close matchup.  I could see Cornell reversing the results at 133, 197, or heavy.  Then again, if Pletcher and McKenna both win, the dual could get out of reach before halftime.  

165 and 174 could both easily go Ohio States way  - I would actually call Campbell and Smith favorites over Berreyesa and Womack

What are the odds Tan Tom come up with some kind of excuse?  

Both guys wrestled two matches this past weekend.  Both guys won and looked healthy.

Both guys should go barring some unexpected freak injury during the week.

Hopefully, it happens.  

16 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

165 and 174 could both easily go Ohio States way  - I would actually call Campbell and Smith favorites over Berreyesa and Womack

Campbell sure, I was basing my prediction on him not going.  Smith could beat Womack, but I don't think you can call him a favorite based on resume.  

141 is the most underrated weight this year-lots of parity between the top five or so guys. If you told me McKenna, Yianni, Lee, Eierman, and Carr were going to wrestle a round robin on pay per view, I’d consider it appointment viewing 

14 hours ago, dmm53 said:

What are the odds Tan Tom come up with some kind of excuse?  

Both guys wrestled two matches this past weekend.  Both guys won and looked healthy.

Both guys should go barring some unexpected freak injury during the week.

Hopefully, it happens.  

McKenna has nothing to lose in this scenario, but instead only has the opportunity to improve his seed. If he wins, then he's the 2nd seed at B1G with Carr in his half, and he has to avenge his loss to Lee to improve his seed at NCAA - where he would then be the top seed with Carr and Eierman in his half instead of Yianni or Lee. If he loses, then he's essentially in the same spot at B1G, still has to avenge his loss to Lee, but still ends up in Lee's half at NCAA. There is a good argument that with Eierman in the mix, neither half is really advantageous. Nonetheless, McKenna has no seed to protect in this dual, but Yianni does. 

If he beats Yianni, then he has a clearer path to the NCAA finals. If his sits out, then Yianni is the #1 seed at NCAA, and McKenna essentially has to re-wrestle the B1G tourney in his half-bracket to get into the NCAA finals. If he loses to Yianni, then he has the exact same path as sitting out. 

10 hours ago, Underhook said:

141 is the most underrated weight this year-lots of parity between the top five or so guys. If you told me McKenna, Yianni, Lee, Eierman, and Carr were going to wrestle a round robin on pay per view, I’d consider it appointment viewing 

Carr is not on the same level.  

23 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Carr is not on the same level.  

Perhaps not, but Carr has the motor and the skills to give any of the other four a run for their money. I would withhold judgement until after B1G’s-Carr didn’t see McKenna or Lee when Illinois faced tOSU and PSU. Has he matched up with Yianni or Eierman this year? 

4 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Eierman beat him.  Carr has not wrestled a hard schedule.  he's solid but not an elite talent and it's obvious.

Carr's record against similar opponents as the others is not impressive.

I'd watch out for Josh Alber...

I’ve got Yanni winning this one but....

say McKenna wins.

Would the rankings be:

1. Nick Lee

2. Mckenna

3. Yanni

It makes sense with the head-to-heads

Lee beats McK, McK beats Y.

Butttt Lee has the Tristan Moran loss soooo..... ?

I don’t see it(McK over Y)happening, “food for thought” as it were.