D3UC157

YanniD vs McKenna

I think the key position is McKenna's left handed head inside single. Yianni sits the corner better than anybody in the game, but McKenna is usually a pretty efficient finisher. If he finishes there, I think he wins. If he struggles there, I think Yianni has more paths to victory in the other facets.

Well after seeing Joey Mac gas badly against Nick Lee, I am a little hesitant to pick Joey Mac in this bout. But hopefully if this bout does occur, I hope to see a lot of fireworks. But I could very well seeing the match play out almost like the Joey Mac/Nick Lee match did. I can very well seeJoey Mac jumping out to a lead, but Yanni comes back to win in the end. So basically while he's fresh Joey will get in and finish, but as the match wears on, Joey's shots will be a little less crisp which will allow Yanni to counter and score on. 

14 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Well after seeing Joey Mac gas badly against Nick Lee, I am a little hesitant to pick Joey Mac in this bout. But hopefully if this bout does occur, I hope to see a lot of fireworks. But I could very well seeing the match play out almost like the Joey Mac/Nick Lee match did. I can very well seeJoey Mac jumping out to a lead, but Yanni comes back to win in the end. So basically while he's fresh Joey will get in and finish, but as the match wears on, Joey's shots will be a little less crisp which will allow Yanni to counter and score on. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has finished a shot on Yianni this season.  He gave up one takedown on one of his shots (against Lehigh), but I *think* that's it.

Just sayin'.

3 hours ago, buckshot1969 said:

If Yanni doesn’t wrestle he gets the #1 seed at NCAAs, I’m jaded enough this year to assume he’ll be “injured”

I think that’s right. Yianni has nothing to gain by suiting up against McKenna. 

4 hours ago, buckshot1969 said:

If Yanni doesn’t wrestle he gets the #1 seed at NCAAs, I’m jaded enough this year to assume he’ll be “injured”

It’s just not Koll style to play for seed when he’s been a big proponent for trying to help grow the sport. Unless serious injury he will give the fans what they want to see.

Edited by Sublime607

Is the 1 seed really that much better than the 2 seed at 141 this year?  If Yianni gets the 1 seed, he matches up in the semis against the only guy that's ever beaten him in college.  I know Yianni won the last 2 of 3 matchups, but Eierman is no walk in the park.  

I would think Yianni would be confident enough that even if he drops a close one to McKenna here, that gives him 3 weeks to make adjustments.  

19 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Is the 1 seed really that much better than the 2 seed at 141 this year?  If Yianni gets the 1 seed, he matches up in the semis against the only guy that's ever beaten him in college.  I know Yianni won the last 2 of 3 matchups, but Eierman is no walk in the park.  

I would think Yianni would be confident enough that even if he drops a close one to McKenna here, that gives him 3 weeks to make adjustments.  

Plus Cornell has a slim chance to win the duel and needs those points at 141 and a couple of swing matches to do it.

Edited by Sublime607

5 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

Plus Cornell has a slim chance to win the duel and needs those points at 141 and a couple of swing matches to do it.

I'd say it's far more than a slim chance, and it's Ohio State traveling to Ithaca this time around.  

125) Arujau tf. Heinselman   5-0 Cornell
133) Pletcher dec. Tucker   5-3 Cornell -- could easily go the other way.  Will be a 1 point match.  
141) Yianni dec. McKenna   8-3 Cornell -- could easily go the other way.
149) Jordan tf. Furnas   8-8  -- Jordan pinned him last time around
157) Hayes dec. Santoro   11-8 Ohio State
165) Berreyesa dec. Campbell/Romero   11-11 -- have a hunch they send out Romero who probably doesn't get the W.  
174) Womack dec. Smith   14-11 Cornell
184) Martin dec. Dean   14-14 -- Bonus will be tough to get in a dual setting.
197) Moore dec. Honis   17-14 Ohio State -- Honis is legit.  Moore struggled with him at Vegas and at U23 trials.   
285) Singletary dec. Sweany   20-14 Ohio State -- far from a sure thing.  Could see this going either way.  

It's an extremely close matchup.  I could see Cornell reversing the results at 133, 197, or heavy.  Then again, if Pletcher and McKenna both win, the dual could get out of reach before halftime.  

7 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I'd say it's far more than a slim chance, and it's Ohio State traveling to Ithaca this time around.  

133) Pletcher dec. Tucker   5-3 Cornell -- could easily go the other way.  Will be a 1 point match.  
165) Berreyesa dec. Campbell/Romero   11-11 -- have a hunch they send out Romero who probably doesn't get the W.  
197) Moore dec. Honis   17-14 Ohio State -- Honis is legit.  Moore struggled with him at Vegas and at U23 trials.   
285) Singletary dec. Sweany   20-14 Ohio State -- far from a sure thing.  Could see this going either way.  

It's an extremely close matchup.  I could see Cornell reversing the results at 133, 197, or heavy.  Then again, if Pletcher and McKenna both win, the dual could get out of reach before halftime.  

I’m a Cornell homer but always try to be subjective we need more things to go our way than they do.

10 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Count on a random choice start, so who knows where halftime will be.  In fact, I don't think Cornell does an intermission very often (at all?).  But your point is still well-taken.

Too many iffy matches to have a chance at calling this one.  Each team could score anywhere within a 15 point range.

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I could also see smith getting a win

1 hour ago, Katie said:

Not in NCAA wrestling. Don’t know about freestyle. 

I’m almost positive this will be the first time they have met competitively enough of age gap and Yianni has been hurt last few off seasons