Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

Kurt McHenry Wrestling in Pittsburg Classic

See McHenry is going to be the USA rep at 113 in the Pittsburg Wrestling Classic (formerly known as Dapper Dan). I wonder if he is the 1st kid who has actually enrolled in college that participated in this event?

also guess the bulking plan can wait just a little longer. 

Doug Vollaro Graduated HS early and took a course or two at Lehigh that spring. He defeated 2-time PIAA Champ Avaree Robinson. I think his only other competition 2011-2012 was Super 32?

Pittsburg is in Kansas.

12 minutes ago, BlueWolverine said:

McHenry is not actually enrolled at Michigan, he's just training with their club this semester.

Thanks for sharing that, some article (maybe track) mentioned that he was enrolled.  It didn't make sense from an eligibility standpoint. 

If he were to take a "full" credit load, would that not cost him the years eligibility? OK, I suspect if he didn't compete second semester next season, he would need like a Hangnail to retain eligibility thru 2023-24.   When a football player comes in spring of what would have been his senior he can enroll and take a full course load, since Football is a fall sport. I guess green shirts come in two shades. 

I personally am 100% in favor of a student graduating high school early if they have shown the more rigorous academic requirements to do so, and if they happen to also do it for student-athlete reasons then that is just as well because they most likely have some form of scholarship (academic and/ or sport) and reason to move into the next phase of their life. Higher education is expensive and for all but a handful of athletes, college athletics is going to be the end of the competitive road but just the beginning of their careers. I honestly hope more student-athletes who are in this unique position take advantage, although I do not anticipate more than a few per year to do so.

With that said, is there any clarification directly from the NCAA on the D1 clock concerning:

1) graduating HS early and not enrolling at a university early i.e. 5 years is 5 years? [RichB called this a green shirt]

2) Enrolling spring semester of the standard HS senior year in regards to eligibility?

Edited by bnwtwg