Jimmy Cinnabon

If Suriano had transferred to Iowa instead of Rutgers

I believe he would be undefeated this season, #1 at 133 and win his first NCAA championship.

Instead, he is currently 17-3, ranked #4 and is a long shot to win a NCAA championship.

The room matters.  Had he stayed at PSU or transferred to Iowa he would have improved at a much faster rate.  At Rutgers no one is there to push up...the coaching is not superior...he may not improve enough to ever win it all.

Yes, but take the same wrestler...put him in a great room with the best competition and he will do better than if you had put him in an uncompetitive room.

The room and coaching effect is undeniable.  Just because there are some outliers that succeeded without a great room/coaching doesn't change the fact that it helps a lot.

I get the point, but if Suriano thought PSU was too far away from Jersey, how would he handle Iowa?  He could definitely benefit from being at a school with a tougher room, but that's not all there is to it. This kid needs to be close to home. 

So 3 1-2 point loses against the 3 guys ranked higher than u are insurmountable?  No one has ever been champ after losing 3?

I predict he beats desanto in big 10s, gets the 3 seed in ncaas, beats fix narrowly in the ncaa semis and beats micic by finishing the shots he got in on in their last match

He didn't want to win br surrounded by cornfields so why would he go from penn state to Iowa? 

1 minute ago, WRfan1 said:

I get the point, but if Suriano thought PSU was too far away from Jersey, how would he handle Iowa?  He could definitely benefit from being at a school with a tougher room, but that's not all there is to it. This kid needs to be close to home. 

He did not feel comfortable in central PA. Imagine what RBY feels! Suriano wanted to be with his "Jersey boys." So all he's wrestling now is New Jersey wrestlers in the room instead of a more diverse room like PSU and Iowa where he would be challenged more.

It's odd that "we" hold Suriano to such high expectations.  He's really good, he's been a finalist, he beat a champion to get to the finals, lost in the finals to an obviously talented wrestler, and like others said he has had very close losses to really good kids this year.  I think PSU fans are pushing this agenda of him not living up to his billing, but really?  

1 hour ago, justafan said:

Jimmy are you a Penn St fan or a Rutgers hater? Just trying to figure out why all the Suriano questions is it because he left Penn St or because you don't like Rutgers 

Just a garden variety d-bag from what I can see. 

Questioning one of the top athletes in our sport from his mom's basement while calling for his dinner. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I believe he would be undefeated this season, #1 at 133 and win his first NCAA championship.

Instead, he is currently 17-3, ranked #4 and is a long shot to win a NCAA championship.

The room matters.  Had he stayed at PSU or transferred to Iowa he would have improved at a much faster rate.  At Rutgers no one is there to push up...the coaching is not superior...he may not improve enough to ever win it all.

You do realize if Rutgers wrestled Iowa's schedule this year Suriano would probably still be undefeated at this point.

He would not have hit Fix yet.. so thats 1 loss, he wouldnt have wrestled Desanto for obvious reasons, and he wouldn't have wrestled Micic...

2 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

You do realize if Rutgers wrestled Iowa's schedule this year Suriano would probably still be undefeated at this point.

He would not have hit Fix yet.. so thats 1 loss, he wouldnt have wrestled Desanto for obvious reasons, and he wouldn't have wrestled Micic...

There's a good chance he would be a returning national champion as well because Lee probably stays in redshirt.

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight said:

So 3 1-2 point loses against the 3 guys ranked higher than u are insurmountable?  No one has ever been champ after losing 3?

I predict he beats desanto in big 10s, gets the 3 seed in ncaas, beats fix narrowly in the ncaa semis and beats micic by finishing the shots he got in on in their last match

He didn't want to win br surrounded by cornfields so why would he go from penn state to Iowa? 

Lightweight U!

I tend to agree that an Iowa Suriano would be > a Rutgers Suriano.  For that matter... I would also tend to agree that a tOSU Suriano would be > Rutgers Suriano... simply for the room.  Suriano rolling with Tomasello, Stieber, etc. all the time?  Of course!  

I think Austin Gomez can beat Suriano as well.   I think the book on Suriano now is avoid the TD in the first but make him work, and then you'll get an opening or two in third as he tires and slows down.  His muscles require a lot of oxygen!

2 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

I think Austin Gomez can beat Suriano as well.   I think the book on Suriano now is avoid the TD in the first but make him work, and then you'll get an opening or two in third as he tires and slows down.  His muscles require a lot of oxygen!

Do me a solid and fax that to Kerry McCoy?

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight said:

Gilman, Lee, DeSanto, Fix, Micic - total of ONE takedown in about 45 minutes of wrestling. I'm not optimistic that he'll suddenly buck the trend. 

23 minutes ago, romesone said:

Gilman, Lee, DeSanto, Fix, Micic - total of ONE takedown in about 45 minutes of wrestling. I'm not optimistic that he'll suddenly buck the trend. 

Fix beat him without getting a takedown and desanto was tie with him in the closing seconds without a takedown. 

More takedowns would help of course.   The 5 matches u named involved the winner getting a total of 5 takedowns.   National champs have won key mstches without them.  Did valenti take down coleman scott?   Did dake takedown Humphrey?  Meanwhile they were taken down in those 2 matches.   

4 minutes ago, ScarletKnight said:

Fix beat him without getting a takedown and desanto was tie with him in the closing seconds without a takedown. 

More takedowns would help of course.   The 5 matches u named involved the winner getting a total of 5 takedowns.   National champs have won key mstches without them.  Did valenti take down coleman scott?   Did dake takedown Humphrey?  Meanwhile they were taken down in those 2 matches.   

Clearly, Suriano is your guy and you want to defend him.  Care to do a sig bet on whether Suriano wins NCAAs this year at 133?

3 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

What if Napoleon had use of tactical nukes at Waterloo...

he would have killed his own guys, too.

a few blackhawk helicopters would have been useful, tho.