lu1979

Nolf at 70 kg

What are Nolf's chances at making the World team at 70 kg this year?  I tend to think that is what is going to happen.  Green is the man at the moment but I think Nolf will make a run at that spot and once he commits to FS I think he will adjust his style really well.  We will see.

I am a huge fan of this notion.  I think his style is a bit "sloppy" right now for freestyle, and he'll give up exposures accidentally, even though he may be on his way to a dominating folkstyle sequence.  

If he can clean that aspect of his game up, I do see him taking the 70kg spot.  It may not be this year, but definitely in the next 12-18 months.  

If Green and Nolf wrestled a Folkstyle match, I would take Nolf comfortably.

I see his first world team 2021. I just don’t think he makes that climb this year unless 70 clears out. And I’m not too sure about how much it clears out. Obviously this year’s WC has final x implications. But I’m thinking a number of those guys, if they look at going up and having to take out JB and Dake (presumably) and Ringer, (maybe throw Zahid in there), THEN medal to get that guaranteed spot, or suck down and take out Zain, Oliver, etc...I feel like a number of them will stay put to take a shot at medaling at 70, and take their chances next year. 

2020- I just don’t see him making either weight, unless maybe he can get to 65 and compete at a high level, but I still don’t see him making that team. 

So 2021, and given it’s the year after Olympics, and two full international seasons under his belt, I’d put medal chances up there pretty decent. 

Edited by Lurker

Still want to see what weight class everyone chooses for the upcoming 2019 and 2020 freestyle seasons.

But if Nolf does compete at 70kg in 2019, I would have him as one of the heavy favorites to win the USA spot. Sure, Green is the man but he's not sitting in Final X best of 3 and wouldn't be one bit surprised if Nolf parlays right into this spot after the NCAA season.

(BTW, Housebuye was all over this topic on the college forum.) 

Nolf could be training exclusively freestyle this whole year and still annihilate everyone in the NCAA easily, and he honestly probably should be.
Same with Retherford last year and Nickal too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well, I my first thought is, do we see Jason compete at the US Open in April, or does he wait until the World Team trials the following month. With JG not having the protection of sitting in the finals, of Final X, Jason may have a great shot at making the team this year, or at least getting himself in a great position to do so. Now I guess the question is, how do these two match up? Last time time they wrestled I believe was two years ago, so have things changed physically one way or the other for either wrestler to shift the balance of power between these two. Also the other person that needs to be included in this conversation has to be GHulk. I know there are people that have said GHulk is going 65, but with GHulk just winning the Dave Schultz at 70, I have a feeling that he (GHulk), may feel that he has just as good of a shot at 70, as he does at 65. He may also think that he feels better at 70 than he does at 65, so who knows. So I guess it's possible that we may see these three dualing it out for the next couple of months. 

In my opinion I think Nolf has the best shot of any of the current college wrestlers to make the team for 3 reasons.

1) 2 years of mother nature.  Just going from 20-22 years old (or there about) he will have gained physical maturity.  That in and of itself will help.

2) His conditioning is phenomenal. 

3) Green, while he can open up, doesn't seem to do so as much the last couple years.  He keeps things to close for to long often times now.  It has cost him in the end to many times the last couple years.  Nolf will push the pace.  If Green keeps it a one takedown match it won't go well because I do think Nolf will wear on Greens lungs.  

He makes the team and wins a world medal in my opinion. 

The weight is clearing out domestically. JO and Molinaro are going 65. His only threat is James’s Green and he isn’t sitting plus he has not looked nearly as good as he was. He got injured and it affected his performance. Then he had surgery and still hasn’t been himself. Even at his peak a novice freestyler st the time in Nolf gave him a lot of trouble. 

At worlds the weight will likely clear out. Last year there were 2 world champs in the field, but the bronze from Cuba and the silver are both worse than Nolf. Their draw was very lucky. Nolf and Green would’ve medaled last year with that draw. 

22 hours ago, Lurker said:

I see his first world team 2021. I just don’t think he makes that climb this year unless 70 clears out. And I’m not too sure about how much it clears out. Obviously this year’s WC has final x implications. But I’m thinking a number of those guys, if they look at going up and having to take out JB and Dake (presumably) and Ringer, (maybe throw Zahid in there), THEN medal to get that guaranteed spot, or suck down and take out Zain, Oliver, etc...I feel like a number of them will stay put to take a shot at medaling at 70, and take their chances next year. 

2020- I just don’t see him making either weight, unless maybe he can get to 65 and compete at a high level, but I still don’t see him making that team. 

So 2021, and given it’s the year after Olympics, and two full international seasons under his belt, I’d put medal chances up there pretty decent. 

Maybe Zahid in there?  Considering how he dominated Ringer and both matches with Dake were really close, he'll be in the mix already.

I'd take Nolf over Green sooner than later if it came down to those 2 just because of Green's injury/surgery and how he's looked since.  It just depends on who else is going to compete at 70kg as well.

58 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Maybe Zahid in there?  Considering how he dominated Ringer and both matches with Dake were really close, he'll be in the mix already.

I'd take Nolf over Green sooner than later if it came down to those 2 just because of Green's injury/surgery and how he's looked since.  It just depends on who else is going to compete at 70kg as well.

The "maybe" is only because I don't know if he is thinking 74 or 86, not because of is he good enough.

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

He makes the team and wins a world medal in my opinion. 

The weight is clearing out domestically. JO and Molinaro are going 65. His only threat is James’s Green and he isn’t sitting plus he has not looked nearly as good as he was. He got injured and it affected his performance. Then he had surgery and still hasn’t been himself. Even at his peak a novice freestyler st the time in Nolf gave him a lot of trouble. 

At worlds the weight will likely clear out. Last year there were 2 world champs in the field, but the bronze from Cuba and the silver are both worse than Nolf. Their draw was very lucky. Nolf and Green would’ve medaled last year with that draw. 

Do you know for sure that 70 is clearing out, (both here and abroad) or is that a guess that you are making as a known statement?  

I was surprised to see most of these posts were reasonable. 
Green is kind of tailing off but may still have enough to keep the spot for 2019...  and as has been said, Nolf is right there domestically, but his neutral game is still lacking.
His dominance in college stems from scrambles and near-falls, he's not just running take-down clinics, which is MY main indicator a kid can make the immediate  jump to Men's FS and have success. 
It  will take awhile to formulate an effective world-level approach, but he has the talent to eventually be our rep and find his way to the podium. 

Yesterday when I was posting I did forget to mention Jason Chamberlain, last year he made it to the finals of Final X, and if I recall the matches against JG weren't blow outs. So I have to think that he should be a factor in the hunt for 70. 

1 hour ago, de4856 said:

Yesterday when I was posting I did forget to mention Jason Chamberlain, last year he made it to the finals of Final X, and if I recall the matches against JG weren't blow outs. So I have to think that he should be a factor in the hunt for 70. 

Green won 2-0 and 2-1 vs Chamberlain.  So yeah, that's right.

7 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Green is kind of tailing off but may still have enough to keep the spot for 2019...  and as has been said, Nolf is right there domestically, but his neutral game is still lacking.
His dominance in college stems from scrambles and near-falls, he's not just running take-down clinics, which is MY main indicator a kid can make the immediate  jump to Men's FS and have success. 
It  will take awhile to formulate an effective world-level approach, but he has the talent to eventually be our rep and find his way to the podium. 

This. I love watching the guy and am a big fan but I think his talent is perfectly suited for folk style and I don't see his neutral technique being clean enough (at least yet) to immediately succeed in freestyle. He may claim the US spot right out of the gate but I do see a lot of slop in his wrestling that may be exposed fairly easily by the international competition. 

Nolf is a super creative folk wrestler but I think that creativity will need to be curtailed a bit in freestyle. As spaldle says, his dominance in college comes from scrambles and near falls, and his constant nearly reckless motion. I could see that motion regularly getting him in trouble on the next stage and then I could see him start to slow things down a bit after a few rough goes and thus lose a big part of what made him so dominant in college.

20 hours ago, Lurker said:

Do you know for sure that 70 is clearing out, (both here and abroad) or is that a guess that you are making as a known statement?  

I know it is happening domestically. JO and Molinaro both said they are going 65 this year.

I don’t know it is happening internationally, but it was a weak weight last year besides the top 2 guys and it makes sense for it to clearing out

14 hours ago, custom fitch said:

This. I love watching the guy and am a big fan but I think his talent is perfectly suited for folk style and I don't see his neutral technique being clean enough (at least yet) to immediately succeed in freestyle. He may claim the US spot right out of the gate but I do see a lot of slop in his wrestling that may be exposed fairly easily by the international competition. 

Nolf is a super creative folk wrestler but I think that creativity will need to be curtailed a bit in freestyle. As spaldle says, his dominance in college comes from scrambles and near falls, and his constant nearly reckless motion. I could see that motion regularly getting him in trouble on the next stage and then I could see him start to slow things down a bit after a few rough goes and thus lose a big part of what made him so dominant in college.

I think his creativity and ability to flow through scrambles will be a great asset to him in FS.  You are right that he will have to learn to control it a bit so as not to give up exposure but I expect he will do that without it affecting his pace.  I think he may have a Chamizo like style with his scrambling ability from neutral.

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I know it is happening domestically. JO and Molinaro both said they are going 65 this year.

I don’t know it is happening internationally, but it was a weak weight last year besides the top 2 guys and it makes sense for it to clearing out

Got it, thank you.  Hadn't heard that JO and Hulk were for certain going down this year.

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

I think his creativity and ability to flow through scrambles will be a great asset to him in FS.  You are right that he will have to learn to control it a bit so as not to give up exposure but I expect he will do that without it affecting his pace.  I think he may have a Chamizo like style with his scrambling ability from neutral.

We shall see, but our guys in general seem to find the most success by keeping things a bit more on the basic side, constant intense pace and keeping solid positions so as not to get lit up by techniques they don't get much exposure to in folkstyle. On the other hand, we have seen how keeping things too basic can also be a huge problem on the international scene, ala Metcalf.  On our current team, the only guy who I expect to score big while the fur is really flying is Dake and maybe JB to a lesser extent now.

If he can refine and funnel some of his activity within those freestyle scramble situations, some Chamizo-like action may ensue; Nolf definitely seems to have the natural freak athletic ability that would allow him to do so. 

Muscle memory embedded by years of folkstyle scrambling is difficult to overcome. Our guys tend to have to rid themselves of techniques that work in folk but are bad news in freestyle. There is a huge difference between what Chamizo does and what Nolf does. They both scramble, but Nolf exposes himself and Frank, a lifetime freestyler, does not. 

52 minutes ago, headache said:

Muscle memory embedded by years of folkstyle scrambling is difficult to overcome. Our guys tend to have to rid themselves of techniques that work in folk but are bad news in freestyle. There is a huge difference between what Chamizo does and what Nolf does. They both scramble, but Nolf exposes himself and Frank, a lifetime freestyler, does not. 

On the other hand, DT has emerged as one of the world's premier scramblers in the past two years. The far ankle series that DT, Nolf, and the entire Penn State program is famous for has been incredibly successful internationally. The international wrestlers look completely lost in that position.

I also don't know that Nolf really exposes himself a lot like you claim. He's not really an ankle passer. He does far ankle stuff, the winn dixie, and he sits the corner to look for cradles. I think it's pretty rare that he would go straight to a dive roll like askren used to. Not all folkstyle scramblers are alike. His biggest weakness might be getting exposed on his own leg attacks. I think he had a few issues with that a couple years ago in freestyle. His defensive scrambling will be a huge asset to him.

Edited by qc8223

On 2/20/2019 at 1:00 PM, spladle08 said:

I completely disagree with this assessment. I think people only remember the weird stuff he hits, but he only hits that stuff on mid to low level competition. Against top level competition he is incredibly dominant on his feet using conventional attacks. In fact, even in the matches where he hits weird stuff that catches everybody's attention, we forget that he has usually scored 6-7 takedowns at that point. Watch his match with Deakin this year. Just complete dominance on his feet against a junior world silver and a guy who has had some success at the senior level too. You have to actually watch his matches with top level guys where he tightens up the screws and wrestles seriously. He toys with the other guys, but against guys like Deakin, Berger, Lavallee, Hidlay, etc... he is incredibly dominant and fundamental. I would recommend watching his matches with Kemerer. Kemerer is one of the best leg attackers in the country. He gets to absolutely everyone's legs. In 3 matches, I think he's touched Nolf's legs once. Meanwhile, Nolf is all over his legs. He scrambles with average opponents to make the match interesting for himself and to experiment. When it's time to wrestle seriously, he's as strong fundamentally as anybody in the country. He's an excellent handfighter, has reliable attacks to both sides, and can hold great position when he needs to. I think his freestyle prospects are really high.