Jimmy Cinnabon

Who will be the next Bo Nickal?

Meaning a kid who is relatively unheralded in HS (yes I realize Bo was a 3x Texas state champ but Texas is not a big wrestling state), not highly recruited (since Bo had to reach out to Cael himself) and has great college sucess...meaning multiple time NCAA champ.

At first I thought a kid like AJ Ferrari, also from Bo's HS, but he has gotten a lot more recruiting press...probably because Bo put Allen Wrestling on the map.

10 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Bo beat Mark Hall 4 times while still in h.s. If you think for one second he was not highly recruited then you don't know what you are talking about. 

Who else gave him offers?  From what I read PSU did not even give him an offer before he reached out....

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Who else gave him offers?  From what I read PSU did not even give him an offer before he reached out....

I am not saying you are wrong, but I just have a hard time believing that. I remember him being on the front page of flo when he beat hall in high school. 

How does Bo's high school resume compare to other recent greats who have been as dominant as him (there are not many)?  His dominance is on (or above) the level of the likes of Retherford, Taylor, Dake, Steiber, Ruth, Nolf and Askren.  I think most, but not all, of them were much more heralded coming out of HS.

2 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

How does Bo's high school resume compare to other recent greats who have been as dominant as him (there are not many)?  His dominance is on (or above) the level of the likes of Retherford, Taylor, Dake, Steiber, Ruth, Nolf and Askren.  I think most, but not all, of them were much more heralded coming out of HS.

At the time he committed he was 140-7 with 2 state titles.  I think he went undefeated his last year so his final record was probably something like 172-7 with 3 titles.  Given he was in Texas that's not an especially impressive record.  There are many 4x state champs with 220-0 records from states that aren't big wrestling states that fail to even become D1 NCAA qualifiers.

I would take a 2x PA or OH state champ over a 4x undefeated from Florida or Alabama, etc.

Bo Nickal is such a piss poor (trolling) example, but Ill attempt to answer with someone who actually meets the criteria

Ryan Deakin.  I think he has a chance to become a 2X champ starting in 2020

Edited by LemonPie

15 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

Double Fargo Cadet champ. 

Fargo Junior FS champ. 

Cadet world team member. 

Ironman champ

Multiple Preseason Nationals/Folkstyle Nationals champ

Edited by LemonPie

1 minute ago, LemonPie said:

Double Fargo Cadet champ. 

Junior FS champ. 

Cadet world team member. 

Ironman champ

Multiple Preseason Nationals/Folkstyle Nationals champ

Okay, so a lot more impressive than I knew about. Like most probably, I often discount Texas state championships compared to the many other states but with Ironman and Fargo titles to go with those prove that shouldn't be the case with Bo.  I look at how dominate he has been the last several years and wonder why I didn't know more about him before then.

Before committing to PSU, Nickal was the 9th ranked recruit overall. Nolf was 11th.

But before they graduated, I believe both Nickal and Nolf moved up the rankings a bit. 

Edited by Katie

How many threads are you going to make based on some sort of factual inaccuracy or logical fallacy? I hate to go to this, but honestly, is this your first year following the sport?

He was far from unknown or unheralded.  When Nickal committed in the summer, he was even ranked ahead of Nolf on the p4p list.  So perhaps we should be looking for another "diamond in the rough" like Jason Nolf... a real surprise, that kid.  

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Bo beat Mark Hall 4 times while still in h.s. If you think for one second he was not highly recruited then you don't know what you are talking about. 

Pretty crazy to think a few of those matches were at 84kg and that there's a chance half a decade later we could still see Mark Hall at 74kg.  

Just now, unbiased said:

Not happening.

You're probably right.  I know Mark Hall has commented about never wrestling 74kg again.  I suppose he can always bulk up to 86kg and move to Penn RTC or the OTC.  

Althought this is a "fun" game to play, it's nearly impossible.  Although Bo was highly touted, no one would have predicted exactly how much success he was going to have.  His stranglehold on 197 this year is profound, to say the least.  

To pick a Top 10-20 guy from the one of the next four graduating classes (but not the top 5), and then proclaim he will win 2-3 NCAA championships?  That's basically the "ask".  That's fairly impossible, and the guys mentioned early like Mauller and Deakin have already shown their chops at the collegiate level.  

I'll pick Jordan Decatur.  I'm 99.3% certain that I'm wrong... but... so will be everyone else's pick.

Aaron Brooks is going to storm the college ranks at the upper weights (174/184).   He was a known elite guy in high school, but then so was Nickal if one was paying attention.  

6 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Aaron Brooks is going to storm the college ranks at the upper weights (174/184).   He was a known elite guy in high school, but then so was Nickal if one was paying attention.  

The difference is that with Brooks, you don't have to pay attention to know that he's being tapped as "elite".