Jimmy Cinnabon

Who will be the next Bo Nickal?

1 hour ago, dmm53 said:

Aaron Brooks is going to storm the college ranks at the upper weights (174/184).   He was a known elite guy in high school, but then so was Nickal if one was paying attention.  

I think Aaron Brooks can be a pretty solid college wrestler. I watched him at the Midlands and was impressed he only lost to Ryan Christensen 4-0.  We'll be fun to see his development at Penn State. Could be a multiple-time NCAA qualifier and All-American. 

He is at Minnesota Gable , He will dominate the sameas Bo

Temmer and Sasso --going be pretty good next 4 years as well.

sorry didn't read unheralded -- these three will do well but not unheralded

Frank C

Edited by cangemi

40 minutes ago, MagnetBack said:

I think Aaron Brooks can be a pretty solid college wrestler. I watched him at the Midlands and was impressed he only lost to Ryan Christensen 4-0.  We'll be fun to see his development at Penn State. Could be a multiple-time NCAA qualifier and All-American. 

I think I heard that Brooks will ill during that match and tournament.   If true, likely would have performed even better   

https://www.centredaily.com/latest-news/article221663080.html

https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-state-wrestling/2018/09/4569/aaron-brooks-silver-medal-junior-world-championships

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Meaning a kid who is relatively unheralded in HS (yes I realize Bo was a 3x Texas state champ but Texas is not a big wrestling state), not highly recruited (since Bo had to reach out to Cael himself) and has great college sucess...meaning multiple time NCAA champ.

At first I thought a kid like AJ Ferrari, also from Bo's HS, but he has gotten a lot more recruiting press...probably because Bo put Allen Wrestling on the map.

Change your name to Jimmy Cinnabogus

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I am not saying he was totally unknown, but he wasn't even the top 170er in high school. That was Chance Marstellar.  He was ranked by Flo to be the 9th best recruit PFP.

He was #9 p4p...he was a blue chipper. 

Being #2 in your weight in high school doesn’t tell the whole story. Chance was considered one of the best high schoolers ever.

marinelli was #2 at his weight also behind Mark Hall and Marinelli was aggressively recruited (for good reason). He got killed by Hall in his final high school match too. 

Nick Lee was #2 in his weight also I believe. He didn’t even win a state title his last year competing in hs 

15 hours ago, MagnetBack said:

This is what I think of when I hear a wrestler wins The Dave Schultz Memorial Tournament with a 4 TD to 0 TF over a former college All Americans before ever himself stepping foot on his college campus. He can be "solid."

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

This is what I think of when I hear a wrestler wins The Dave Schultz Memorial Tournament with a 4 TD to 0 TF over a former college All Americans before ever himself stepping foot on his college campus. He can be "solid."

Come on, Magnet was clearly trolling.  Pretty funny, actually.  

22 hours ago, mspart said:

It sounds like Bo was the greatest unheralded wrestler of all time.

mspart

Two of the top 3 greatest American freestyle wrestlers were unheralded coming out of high school.(with only 1 State Championship between them.)

On 2/19/2019 at 9:22 PM, NJDan said:

Bo was the #7 overall recruit in the nation. That's heralded. Ahead of him were Snyder, Marsteller, Nevills, Micah Jordan and a guy named Bryce Brill, whose career was cut short by injuries..

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top150_2014.html

I was stoked when I heard OU got the verbal commitment of Nickal. Then I found it was Sean Nickell, not Nickal. Then to top things off we didn't even get Sean Nickell, he ended up going spurning OU before he signed. Amazing to see Jordan, Brill, and Nevills were ranked higher that year.

The next Bo Nickal? Who knows.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:08 PM, Fletcher said:

I thought Nickal graduated from Wyoming Seminary. Did he do an extra year after high school or something?

He wrestled for Allen, Texas. It's a rich school system near Dallas. He wrestled for the school that built the ridiculous $60 million HS football stadium (which was later found to have been built with defective concrete, LOL). Yup, Texans aren't very smart and their priorities are ALL messed up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Stadium_(Allen,_Texas)

Edited by TobusRex

On 2/19/2019 at 6:32 PM, LemonPie said:

Bo Nickal is such a piss poor (trolling) example, but Ill attempt to answer with someone who actually meets the criteria

Ryan Deakin.  I think he has a chance to become a 2X champ starting in 2020

He'll never be another Bo, though.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:27 PM, Broomstick said:

How does Bo's high school resume compare to other recent greats who have been as dominant as him (there are not many)?  His dominance is on (or above) the level of the likes of Retherford, Taylor, Dake, Steiber, Ruth, Nolf and Askren.  I think most, but not all, of them were much more heralded coming out of HS.

Only Taylor and Steiber were clearly more heralded. Maybe Retherford. I’d say Nolf was the least heralded of that group.