Cementmixer103

Did anyone happen to see

The interview between Chael Sonnen and Henry Cejudo? Awesome to hear them talk wrestling. What really stood out to me is when they bring up Gable Steveson and a 'rumor' that he's going to finish the year (presumably undefeated, with an NCAA title) and leave Minne for MMA. 

Has there been any discussion about this? Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

If Gable wins this year, and then "moves on", that will be horrible for Folkstyle and Freestyle.  

He would definitely earn the "villain" moniker, but I'm sure he would make his fortune, and laugh all the way to the bank(ruptcy).

Honestly, if Gable wins NCAAs in dominant fashion I don't see what else he has to gain by going through that process for 3 more years.

He will already be a NCAA champ and he can start making 6 figures $$$$ in MMA right away.  Unless he has some grand goal of winning 4 NCAA titles and a gold medal or whatever (and even if he did he would make diddly squat in terms of cash) the real monetary lure is MMA.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Honestly, if Gable wins NCAAs in dominant fashion I don't see what else he has to gain by going through that process for 3 more years.

He will already be a NCAA champ and he can start making 6 figures $$$$ in MMA right away.  Unless he has some grand goal of winning 4 NCAA titles and a gold medal or whatever (and even if he did he would make diddly squat in terms of cash) the real monetary lure is MMA.

......and when he takes that "one" punch in the temple that causes a brain bleed ..........

9 minutes ago, cornercoach said:

......and when he takes that "one" punch in the temple that causes a brain bleed ..........

I agree with you, The older I get the more I think MMA is a bad choice. I get why the kids are drawn to it; money, fame, etc.

Honestly, If he's going to leave I'd rather see him in the WWE than the UFC, just for his brain's sake.

15 minutes ago, cornercoach said:

He could easily get slammed (or slam someone else) and sustain a similar injury in wrestling.

Let's not pretend he's picking between MMA and badminton.

54 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

He could easily get slammed (or slam someone else) and sustain a similar injury in wrestling.

Ray Murphy suffered the worst injury I've heard of on the mat. Met him at OSU in the early 80's, he was in a motorized wheelchair on campus at OSU. Really nice guy, he died years ago. Other than Ray I've never heard of any serious injuries on the mat. Yeah, broken bones occasionally, maybe some dislocations but that's about it.

MMA is far worse than wrestling when it comes to injuries. It's not even close.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Let's not shame the badminton players here.  Tough sport.

hqdefault.jpg

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Ray Murphy suffered the worst injury I've heard of on the mat. Met him at OSU in the early 80's, he was in a motorized wheelchair on campus at OSU. Really nice guy, he died years ago. Other than Ray I've never heard of any serious injuries on the mat. Yeah, broken bones occasionally, maybe some dislocations but that's about it.

Don't know about that, my second cousin's son broke his neck at Akron Grecon Cadet World Team Trials a few years ago.  https://www.eriereader.com/article/a-letter-from-ian-malesiewski

Edited by jeffrideal

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Haven't there been a bunch of wrestlers who left the sport due to repeated concussions-- an Olympic greco guy for one. Also, haven't many retired with neck injuries?

1 hour ago, RichB said:

wasn't there an article here 3-5 about a HS guy who charged at an "inferior" opponent breaking his C spine on a mat on the wall when the kid "ducked"

I've seen that before. I think it was somewhere in the south. 

13 hours ago, jeffrideal said:

Don't know about that, my second cousin's son broke his neck at Akron Grecon Cadet World Team Trials a few years ago.  https://www.eriereader.com/article/a-letter-from-ian-malesiewski

That's pretty bad. Sounds like the same injury that Ray had. There's definitely a chance that could happen to anyone who lands the wrong way on a throw.