Jump to content
LordNelson

Dual Meets on ESPN

Recommended Posts

Coach Brands with some bold words of a hopeful future for the sport.

 

Truthfully, how many Duals have taken place this season that truly deserve those wishes and might tag more than just rabid wrestling fans?

 

tOSU v PSU

Michigan v tOSU

Iowa v OkSt

 

Maybe if he and other leaders in the sport made big enough Duals happen, or maybe shifted their mentality to a dual championship, ESPN might answer the phone.

 

I forgot the PSU v Iowa dual, oh wait...the Michigan v Iowa Dual, or the Iowa v tOSU dual, PSU v OkSt, oh well...

 

One can see the irony.

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

 

Coach Brands with some bold words of a hopeful future for the sport.

 

Truthfully, how many Duals have taken place this season that truly deserve those wishes and might tag more than just rabid wrestling fans?

 

tOSU v PSU

Michigan v tOSU

Iowa v OkSt

 

Maybe if he and other leaders in the sport made big enough Duals happen, or maybe shifted their mentality to a dual championship, ESPN might answer the phone.

 

I forgot the PSU v Iowa dual, oh wait...the Michigan v Iowa Dual, or the Iowa v tOSU dual, PSU v OkSt, oh well...

 

One can see the irony.

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

OSU v Mizzou

oh ... wait ... that was on ESPN+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN TV isn't the answer to growing the sport.Cable TV is on the way out not many people under 30 have cable.Flo,Track and ESPN + will be the way the sport grows not TV

Edited by justafan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what Brands comments were but... The duals on ESPN had some good ratings compared to the NCAA tournament.  The Friday night semi-finals usually draws 450k viewers.  The duals on ESPN were drawing about 200k.  When you compare that all eyes in the wrestling world are on the NCAA tournament and there are likely 20 different schools involved in the semi-finals, it is pretty good that only two teams draw half the viewership in a dual that means nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NCAA Team Champion will always be the winner of the NCAA Tournament. The Biggest, Most Grand Event in Our Sport. 

I'm all for ESPN, but Brands is in no place to lecture anyone on the importance of duals when he keeps dodging one that he promised, and when he ducked VT a few years back. 

Who is Brands even imploring to put this dual on ESPN Prime Time TV? Reporters from the Dubuque Telegraph, Des Moines Register, and Iowa City Press-Citizen? Not sure what question they asked him, but his own AD doesn't even have a say in the matter so why does he implore these reporters who have even less say.  Maybe he thinks an executive at ESPN will somehow find this and have an epiphany. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, justafan said:

ESPN TV isn't the answer to growing the sport.Cable TV is on the way out not many people under 30 have cable.Flo,Track and ESPN + will be the way the sport grows not TV

So you think more people under 30 have Flo than watch ESPN?   And don’t you need ESPN to even get ESPN+?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The NCAA Team Champion will always be the winner of the NCAA Tournament. The Biggest, Most Grand Event in Our Sport. 

I'm all for ESPN, but Brands is in no place to lecture anyone on the importance of duals when he keeps dodging one that he promised, and when he ducked VT a few years back. 

Kind of my point.  Cael is equally guilty.  They missed a lot of opportunities to make the sport better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Brands is in no place to lecture anyone on the importance of duals when he keeps dodging one that he promised, and when he ducked VT a few years back. 

Agreed 100%, after he ducked Va Tech he's got no place to talk about important duals. 

20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So you think more people under 30 have Flo than watch ESPN?   And don’t you need ESPN to even get ESPN+?

You need ESPN to get ESPN3 or ACC Network Extra but ESPN+ is a completely separate subscription service that doesn't require cable. ESPN steams a ton of duals, the ACC ones are on ACCN Extra and require a cable subscription.  All of the Ivy League ones are on ESPN+ which is separate.  The extra mats at Nationals have usually been ESPN3 which requires a cable subscription but idk what they'll do this year.  They moved some outer courts at the Grand Slam tennis events from ESPN3 to ESPN+ recently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I do think think it's that way currently but if we are talking about growing the sport the future isn't TV.Not saying ESPN won't have a impact on helping grow the sport I just don't believe it will be ESPN TV that does it

Edited by justafan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You folks need to look back maybe 5 or 10 years ago...ESPN and the BTN have provided more and more coverage...The problem is when things start to boom they show a dual with 100 people in the stands...No fans no coverage bottom line!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The B1G 10 network is key to getting wrestling more exposure on the "mainstream" networks.
Once the BTN numbers consistently out pace the competing broadcasts on the ESPN and Fox Sports network conglomerates the possibility of additional collegiate wrestling will be real.
It is extremely important that every B1G 10 school treats their match as though it is the "Monday Night Football" situation when they are selected as the main broadcast of the week.
PSU does a fantastic job of making their time in the lime-light an event. Iowa does a great job also. tOSU, Rutgers and Michigan are right behind those two.
For the others they need to do better. The need to get asses in the seats create an atmosphere of excitement that projects out of the screen.
The MMA has proven that if you can put an exciting product on the screen networks will gladly find a time slot for you.



Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or, maybe some B1G teams need to get out to match up with teams in other conferences that aren't locked in to the B1G Network Monopoly.

Kudos to Ohio State traveling out to Ithaca on Friday.  ESPN+ will cover it.  Koll & Co. pulling out all the stops to promote it.

Image may contain: 2 people, text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, red blades said:

Or, maybe some B1G teams need to get out to match up with teams in other conferences that aren't locked in to the B1G Network Monopoly.

Kudos to Ohio State traveling out to Ithaca on Friday.  ESPN+ will cover it.  Koll & Co. pulling out all the stops to promote it.

Image may contain: 2 people, text

Nailed it.

PSU and Iowa are the biggest offenders of picking and choosing what "big" duals they are going to compete in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CTMopar said:

You folks need to look back maybe 5 or 10 years ago...ESPN and the BTN have provided more and more coverage...The problem is when things start to boom they show a dual with 100 people in the stands...No fans no coverage bottom line!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

B10 Network has shown 2 less per season the last two seasons. Going down, not up. Flo is hoarding State tourneys now. In PA, next year, you will need a Flo sub to watch the finals. No more PCN.

Edited by ResiliteMarine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pinnum said:

Not sure what Brands comments were but... The duals on ESPN had some good ratings compared to the NCAA tournament.  The Friday night semi-finals usually draws 450k viewers.  The duals on ESPN were drawing about 200k.  When you compare that all eyes in the wrestling world are on the NCAA tournament and there are likely 20 different schools involved in the semi-finals, it is pretty good that only two teams draw half the viewership in a dual that means nothing.

 

Do you know how this compares to things like womens college basketball?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ResiliteMarine said:

B10 Network has shown 2 less per season the last two seasons. Going down, not up. Flo is hoarding State tourneys now. In PA, next year, you will need a Flo sub to watch the finals. No more PCN.

You need a flo subscription now to watch the PA state finals. The change went into effect already 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For 2018 Womans Final 4 game U Conn vs Notre Dame  2.3 million people watched on ESPN2.Thats 1.8 million more people watched Womans Basketball then Wrestling.Once our sport realizes that nobody cares but us is when we can move past this ESPN TV dream 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justafan said:

For 2018 Womans Final 4 game U Conn vs Notre Dame  2.3 million people watched on ESPN2.Thats 1.8 million more people watched Womans Basketball then Wrestling.Once our sport realizes that nobody cares but us is when we can move past this ESPN TV dream 

So just accept it.  Got it.

Instead of finding new ways to change what we've done for 200 years and continually risk the elimination of our sport and objectively criticizing the "leaders" in our sport for being roadblocks instead of creators we'll just accept failure and stay to ourselves.

Makes sense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ResiliteMarine said:

B10 Network has shown 2 less per season the last two seasons. Going down, not up. Flo is hoarding State tourneys now. In PA, next year, you will need a Flo sub to watch the finals. No more PCN.

wow, I didnt know PCN is no longer covering it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×