Sign in to follow this  
skikayaker

Who in wrestling history wrestled most like Bo Nickal or Jason Nolf

Sanders was the only wrestler in history to shut out 1972 Olympic gold medalist Dan Gable in a match. Sanders beat Gable 6-0 in the semifinals at the 1967 AAU National Championships. Gable highlighted his relationship with Sanders in his book titled "A Wrestling Life," and an excerpt can be read here.

Schalles was probably my all time favorite.  I first saw him at an International Match (USA vs World) in 1969 at a community college in Maryland.  He faced a Junior World Greco Champ from Iran.  Schalles was listed as representing Shippensburg State College and was long and lean but not imposing at all.  The Iranian was a Fireplug built guy.  In the first minute, the Iranian tried to hook up Schalles twice for big throws but Wade was able to squirm out each time.  The third time, the guy actually got Wade off the ground and it looked like it was all over, but Wade got one toe down and swizzled his hips and hit a Lateral Drop right to the back for the fall.  I talked to Wade after the match and he told me: "It doesn't matter how many points I give up early in the match because if even one of my moves works the match is over".  I was amazed by his confidence.

Isn't there a fair bit of Quentin Wright in Nickal's style? Rarely wrestling on their knees, lots of upper body attacks, and wrestling left-handed. Both aggressive, and very fun to watch. 

Have they wrestled together at all, I wonder? 

9 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Isn't there a fair bit of Quentin Wright in Nickal's style? Rarely wrestling on their knees, lots of upper body attacks, and wrestling left-handed. Both aggressive, and very fun to watch. 

Have they wrestled together at all, I wonder? 

Bo has Wright's upper body throws for sure, but he also has a ton of low level shots and mat game. If you saw the manner in which he cradled Kollin Moore, that is very typical of his game. Also, I think he uses less upper body now than ever before simply because no one can stop the rest of his varied attacks where as he's always in some small degree of risk going upper body. So he has that upper body stuff there if he needs it, but he just doesn't really need it at this level any more so we rarely see it. 

Edited by TBar1977