Jimmy Cinnabon

Is this the most embarrassing college wrestling match ever?

This is the greatest match of all time. I have never felt such an intense rush of joy as I did in the moment Grajales took Alton to his back for the fall. I didn't have a rooting interest either. It was pure spectacle. What a moment and a perfect summation of the careers of both guys. 

27 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I’m guessing the ref was thinking award the escape when criteria for an escape had been met

If that wasn't an escape and a takedown (multiple times) then it was at least stalling on Alton.  Truth be told, Alton should have been stalled out of that match.

This is the greatest match of all time. I have never felt such an intense rush of joy as I did in the moment Grajales took Alton to his back for the fall. I didn't have a rooting interest either. It was pure spectacle. What a moment and a perfect summation of the careers of both guys. 

TD to back was awesome, made better by Alton quitting to give up the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

TD to back was awesome, made better by Alton quitting to give up the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The call by Johnson and Gibbons was great too. Just open laughter and excitement. It's the only reasonable reaction to a spectacle like that. 

Alton did not care because there was nothing worth caring about. Grajales, his coaches, and the spectators simply did not understand what Alton knew to be true in his heart. It was, quite simply, the absurdity of life, illustrated by sport.

Edited by Katie

1 hour ago, BHawk91 said:

If that wasn't an escape and a takedown (multiple times) then it was at least stalling on Alton.  Truth be told, Alton should have been stalled out of that match.

He did get two stalling calls. Not in that sequence but they factored into score. Although I will say I would have had no problem with another (remember thinking that back at the time). But for escape the down athlete has to be facing the opponent in a neutral position. Grajales was in too big a hurry. Taking a couple steps back, putting your hands up, and jumping back on isn’t it. Precisely why they have the criteria in there. 

Surely it could have been called a little differently. Some would some wouldn’t have. But I think it was far from embarrassing. There were a lot of difficult situations and sequences for a ref in that match.