Housebuye

tOSU vs. Cornell

2 hours ago, LordNelson said:

Cornell's 165 wrestled with inexperience in the 3rd, he was in control of the match and started moving his feet way too much outside of the handfight.  Couple that with Campbell turning up the heat on him and he got caught in transition.  If he had managed the hand fight better he might have stolen that match as he was leading 2-1.  

Same at 285,  Sweaney let Singletary in too deep in that situation.  Again, credit to the tOSU kids for turning it up when they had to.  Either match could've been a different result.

174: Same story as 141 except Womack put a good ride on in the 2nd.  Smith did a nice job getting key TD's.  

133: Tucker was in on more shots so the observation already made on Pletcher is spot on.  He has to do more.  Credit Tucker here for really finding a way to win in a tough match.  

Was Tucker in on any shots prior to 20 seconds to go in the 3rd period?

1 hour ago, LordNelson said:

I believe he was stalemated off his HiC with 45 to go. Prior to that neither guy did anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First leg contact in neutral by either came from Tucker after 4:50 of neutral (3rd period).  Tucker also got in on a leg at :30 of SV1.  Pletcher never touched Tucker's leg in SV1 or at the end of TB2.

The difference was that Tucker was able to ride for :30, which he rarely does.

Edited by klehner

There was never a more undeservedly close finals match as garret/clark, that was an ass beating from start to finish. I think yianni's biggest challenge will be eirmann. Both guys love to scramble and while I favor Yianni you can never be super confident when you're rolling around round with eirmann

There was never a more undeservedly close finals match as garret/clark, that was an ass beating from start to finish. I think yianni's biggest challenge will be eirmann. Both guys love to scramble and while I favor Yianni you can never be super confident when you're rolling around round with eirmann

Best (and about only) way to take down Yianni is a blast double.  If someone comes along in his weight class that is a master at that, then there might be an end to his reign.  No way anyone is going to scramble with him and win.  It'd be like when Jake Herbert tried to scramble with Askren.  I think McKenna has the best chance this year, but it is not a great chance.

6 hours ago, LordNelson said:

Semantics, it was 7-6 and you know it.  Garrett took a boundary stall point but the match played out exactly like last night's.

Both were very one sided and ended up close on the scoreboard.  

Garrett took him down 3 times to Clark's 0.

Are you under the impression that I knew the final score of that match off the dome?  I did not.  Nor do I see a difference between 7-5 and 7-6.  Yes, Garrett dominated Clark.  Hoo boy, you're sensitive these days.

Now, two of the stalling calls against Nahshon were legit under the rules (the leg 5 count and he backed straight out of bounds while Clark was shooting).  I didn't see the first one, so I can't comment, although I think I remember thinking it was uncalled for when I first watched it.  Either way, Clark never threatened.

Last night's match was way more competitve than Clark-Garrett imo. Yianni obviously was a notch better and came out on top of all the scrambles, but McKenna at least threatened a few take downs. He was in deep 3-4 times. Clark never even sniffed a score in his match. Yianni is so impressive though.

34 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Now, two of the stalling calls against Nahshon were legit under the rules (the leg 5 count and he backed straight out of bounds while Clark was shooting).  I didn't see the first one, so I can't comment, although I think I remember thinking it was uncalled for when I first watched it.  Either way, Clark never threatened.

Question and I'm not sure of the answer. Was the 5 Second leg count rule in place back then? While I'm asking this question, is that a rule in high school as well as college now?

Best (and about only) way to take down Yianni is a blast double.  If someone comes along in his weight class that is a master at that, then there might be an end to his reign.  No way anyone is going to scramble with him and win.  It'd be like when Jake Herbert tried to scramble with Askren.  I think McKenna has the best chance this year, but it is not a great chance.
I disagree with the scrambling aspect of your comment. In the matches that Yianni has beaten Eierman, he has avoided scrambling and even commented on Eierman trying to bait him into scramble situations in their last match. When Eierman won last year, it was on a last minute scramble. Eierman is much more akin to Askren in those situations and it is his best chance to beat Yianni. It is the one aspect where he is better than Yianni.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Question and I'm not sure of the answer. Was the 5 Second leg count rule in place back then? While I'm asking this question, is that a rule in high school as well as college now?

As to high school, I do not know.  The leg rule, I assume so since they are clearly doing the 5 count, but maybe not?  It all kind of blends together.

No. All boundary calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

If you are asking about the Garrett / Clark match - yes, the third stall call (w/ about 15 seconds left) against Garrett was for not working up before the 5 count - which was a little weird because moving up to follow Clark at that point would have taken him out of bounds.

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

I disagree with the scrambling aspect of your comment. In the matches that Yianni has beaten Eierman, he has avoided scrambling and even commented on Eierman trying to bait him into scramble situations in their last match. When Eierman won last year, it was on a last minute scramble. Eierman is much more akin to Askren in those situations and it is his best chance to beat Yianni. It is the one aspect where he is better than Yianni.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Eierman is definitely Yianni’s biggest threat, but I think he is better than Yianni on top, not scrambling. He is for sure a more dangerous scrambler, but as a result, not as high percentage. That said, anytime you scramble with Eierman, you are risking back exposure or getting stuck, so it’s a high stakes game few are willing to play, including Yianni. 

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Eierman is definitely Yianni’s biggest threat, but I think he is better than Yianni on top, not scrambling. He is for sure a more dangerous scrambler, but as a result, not as high percentage. That said, anytime you scramble with Eierman, you are risking back exposure or getting stuck, so it’s a high stakes game few are willing to play, including Yianni. 

Yeah, I wouldn't say Eierman is a better scrambler than Yianni, but there's no reason to put yourself in positions that give him the opportunity, especially when you're as good as Yianni is in the other positions. I think if the match came down to a big scramble, I would lean Yianni 60/40 to come out on top, but if you told me Eierman beat him, my guess would be he caught him in a scramble like he did in the first match. I think their matches will always be tight because Yianni isn't willing to risk scrambling with him after their first match. He's very selective with his attacks against eierman, but incredibly high percentage.

I would like to third the recommendation of the announcer. Anyone know who it is? I would like to forward on to ESPN to make sure he (and others like him) get move support. They care about NPS scores (customer 1-10 scores) and open-answer customer feedback, so it honest and truly is important that we as a wrestling community follow up!

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

I would like to third the recommendation of the announcer. Anyone know who it is? I would like to forward on to ESPN to make sure he (and others like him) get move support. They care about NPS scores (customer 1-10 scores) and open-answer customer feedback, so it honest and truly is important that we as a wrestling community follow up!

He's the normal announcer for Cornell's matches.

1 minute ago, klehner said:

He's the normal announcer for Cornell's matches.

As someone who lives in Chicago and does not normally follow any matches, much less Cornell in particular, or honestly anything in any less than a sporadic schedule:

What is his name?

2.A Is he employed by ESPN?

2.B Is he employed by BTN?

2.C Is he employed by Ivy League?

How can I share?