Housebuye

tOSU vs. Cornell

Yianni is Gumby.  

To hell with all the other nicknames, except maybe Mr. Fantastic from the Fantastic Four.  He can be stretched and twisted and elongated to high hell and still keep his core strength focused on the angles and positions he needs to come out on top.  

Well done Mr. Fantastic... yeah... I like that one better.  

I was able to make it down to Ithaca this evening. Couple thoughts:

1) Not sure how wise it was to start at 149, and end with Yianni / McKenna. After Martin controlled Dean the dual was basically over and everyone knew it and it took the energy out of the room a bit. If the match had started at 125, things may have been a little different, but probably not because...

2) Cornell seemed very flat this evening. On their heels for the most part and Ohio State got to their legs at will. As someone said earlier in the thread, the matchups were bad for Cornell but other than 125-141 Cornell looked more outclassed than I thought they would be. Ohio State wrestled a level better overall, dominating the marquee matches at 184 / 197 and winning a couple close toss ups.

3) As Vak said, the 7-5 score in Yianni / McKenna did not reflect how in control Yianni was throughout. Yianni is so slick, flexible, poised and wrestles a seasoned match like an old pro. His back was facing me on that third counter takedown and it looked more like a magic trick than a wrestling move from my perspective. I need to see a replay on that one.

4) Vito looked pretty good. Nice old fashioned dump takedown to start the match and a slick kick to the hands to escape a takedown attempt. 

5) 133 was a good match, two bulldozers going at it. I had never seen him in person before and Pletcher's ass, legs and calves are almost comically large. I wonder what his squat is.

Could have been a 5-5 match if Womack had wrestled with some urgency. Does he ever go for a takedown against a good opponent?  He is a real mystery.

Heavy could have gone ether way, too. tOSU would have won anyway on bonus points, but it would have been closer.

5 hours ago, LemonPie said:

Cornell has like a dozen 149s who are just as capable as Koll... except maybe without the injury or conditioning issues. 

What happened to the others. Is the coach giving his son one last shot after all the injuries?

Yianni is next level

i think one of the differences for him compared to most other elite guys is he was never the strongest or toughest guy out there. He won at the lower levels all the way up to cadet worlds because of his technique and proprioception.

Now that Cornell is helping him add the other components (strength, toughness) he is jumping levels yet again. The Yianni we saw today would dominate the Yianni that won NCAAs. 

He is also 19. Once he is 21-22, he is going to be a killer. He is already good enough to make the team if not medal, based on his room matches with JO. He is planning on going to WTT this year if he qualifies, so we will know exactly where he is. 

My single concern for him is injury. The good news is, he does everything right. When he does get injured, he goes through the therapy, he eats right, listens and improves. 

The 133 match was kinda bs.

this is what happens though when you don’t get a takedown. One weird ref decision and you lose in the quarters, or lose in the blood round. Pletcher needs to get back to his offense. I know Chaz has incredible defense, but you have to figure it out.

This is the guy you see in the quarters or deep on the back side. 

I like Ohio state but there is something cool about Cornell making a run. If Pletcher doesnt AA I’ll be annoyed but if Chaz replaces him, pushing Cornell in the podium? I’m down

Cornell's 165 wrestled with inexperience in the 3rd, he was in control of the match and started moving his feet way too much outside of the handfight.  Couple that with Campbell turning up the heat on him and he got caught in transition.  If he had managed the hand fight better he might have stolen that match as he was leading 2-1.  

Same at 285,  Sweaney let Singletary in too deep in that situation.  Again, credit to the tOSU kids for turning it up when they had to.  Either match could've been a different result.

174: Same story as 141 except Womack put a good ride on in the 2nd.  Smith did a nice job getting key TD's.  

133: Tucker was in on more shots so the observation already made on Pletcher is spot on.  He has to do more.  Credit Tucker here for really finding a way to win in a tough match.  

4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Damn, was that 7-5, too? Hmmmm....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Semantics, it was 7-6 and you know it.  Garrett took a boundary stall point but the match played out exactly like last night's.

Both were very one sided and ended up close on the scoreboard.  

Garrett took him down 3 times to Clark's 0.