Jump to content
Rooving

Why Did Sanderson Leave Iowa State For PSU?

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, BHawk91 said:

And what did he do after his first year there?  Where did he place?  All the while Brands was winning every single meet, tourney, dual and anything else you want to put out there.

You’re right. After beating Iowa in 2007, by 2009 Cael must have thought he’d never beat Iowa ever again. That must be it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Katie said:

You’re right. After beating Iowa in 2007, by 2009 Cael must have thought he’d never beat Iowa ever again. That must be it. 

Agreed, that is why he left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BHawk91 said:

I agree, Brands certainly left VT for better opportunities.  And one of those opportunities was to help him win.  The difference between you and me is, I am not afraid to say that about the coach I follow.  Whenever someone says anything negative about Cael, the PSU fans go nuts because someone said something bad about their coach.  Cael isn't much different than Brands.  Cael ducks wrestlers, Cael skips tournaments he doesn't think he can win, Cael ducks wrestling other schools.  He does everything Brands does but at least I am man enough to admit it about the coach I follow.  I am even critical about Brands when he does those things.

The difference between you and me is I don't really give a crap what you think, I just respond because of the comic opportunity you present with all your whining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

The difference between you and me is I don't really give a crap what you think, I just respond because of the comic opportunity you present with all your whining.

Yeah, sure, that is why you respond. If you didn't care then you wouldn't respond.  Once again you prove that you are just a PSU homer that can't take someone talking about their coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BHawk91 said:

Yeah, sure, that is why you respond. If you didn't care then you wouldn't respond.  Once again you prove that you are just a PSU homer that can't take someone talking about their coach.

Lolol. You come here all butthurt trying to stir **** up and when people call you out on it you claim victory? Lolololol. 

Get ready for another series of beat downs. First one might come this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Would Iowa fans feel any better if Cael was kicking their rear ends in as coach at Iowa State?

They should feel LUCKY Cael is at PSU because it is easier to make excuses this way.

TBarr, if Cael stayed at Iowa State, do you feel Brands would reciprocate the road dual, given the closer location?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jchapman said:

TBarr, if Cael stayed at Iowa State, do you feel Brands would reciprocate the road dual, given the closer location?

jjchapman, don't they dual every year anyway?

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BHawk91 said:

I agree, Brands certainly left VT for better opportunities.  And one of those opportunities was to help him win.  The difference between you and me is, I am not afraid to say that about the coach I follow.  Whenever someone says anything negative about Cael, the PSU fans go nuts because someone said something bad about their coach.  Cael isn't much different than Brands.  Cael ducks wrestlers, Cael skips tournaments he doesn't think he can win, Cael ducks wrestling other schools.  He does everything Brands does but at least I am man enough to admit it about the coach I follow.  I am even critical about Brands when he does those things.

When have you been critical of Brands. What's teams have Cael ducked. As for ducking individual match ups the reason Cael doesn't get nearly as much flack and Brands is because it's not nearly as obvious of a duck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Chupman, don't they dual every year anyway?

Yes.  I'm wondering if Brands would if Cael stayed at ISU and made it a juggernaut.  The excuse has been that Iowa can't fit it in their schedule to pick up and travel out to PSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Yes.  I'm wondering if Brands would if Cael stayed at ISU and made it a juggernaut.  The excuse has been that Iowa can't fit it in their schedule to pick up and travel out to PSU.

Are you suggesting that if Cael was still at ISU and clobbering Iowa annually that Brands would be petty enough to kill the series? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Are you suggesting that if Cael was still at ISU and clobbering Iowa annually that Brands would be petty enough to kill the series? 

No, not at all.  Where ever did you come up with that idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BHawk91 said:

Russelscout already took the first point for me so I don't need to say anything there.

Point 2: Gable never coached at Iowa State.  Sure he went there and became a legend as a wrestler but he never coached for them.  Cael actually coached at Iowa State and then left them high and dry because he knew he was in the shadow of Iowa.  Was Gable offered the job at Iowa State and turned it down?  If that is the case then I will eat crow and say I was wrong but if Gable was never offered the job then your point holds no water.  Gable didn't crap on his school if said school never offered him employment. 

I doubt he felt he was in Iowas shadow. I think he probably thought something like, the recruiting in Iowa isn't good enough to share with last year's championship team a couple hours away, while the east coast is being under served right now.  I think that's probably the only role Iowa played in Caels decision. I don't think it's really anymore than that. 

Cael has no obligations to ISU. Hell, look what he did for them. They should have been doing anything the man asked for and made sure he stayed. They didn't and thats their fault.

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If cael was still at ISU he would most likely not have had the same success, and the psu talent probably would have been spread out a little more. He still would have won a championship and probably multiple. He went to PSU for more money, athletic support, and yes, a better chance at winning titles. The PSU fans getting defensive is ridiculous, because Cael made the right move and it is not likely that he would have had the same success at ISU. Iowa fans... come on. He left for a better opportunity, not because he couldnt compete with Iowa. Because even if the Brands were more successful early on, Caels teams were still right there.

Edited by Molsen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, russelscout said:

I doubt he felt he was in Iowas shadow. I think he probably thought something like, the recruiting in Iowa isn't good enough to share with last year's championship team a couple hours away, while the east coast is being under served right now.  I think that's probably the only role Iowa played in Caels decision. I don't think it's really anymore than that. 

Cael has no obligations to ISU. Hell, look what he did for them. They should have been doing anything the man asked for and made sure he stayed. They didn't and thats their fault.

They kicked Bobby Douglas to the curb for him, that was a pretty good start.

Edited by jchapman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was hard to beat at ISU.  They were extremely strong positional and situational wrestlers on their feet.  One guy beat Tejon Ware a couple of times.  They were not offensive like his PSU guys are now.  He had a re-birth when he moved.  I began wrestling in 70.  Gable and Cael are the two that I've seen come in and just take over the current dynasty.  It's a beautiful thing, but like everyone else I'm sure, us Poke fans want titles.  Cael's guys are right there with the greatest teams I've ever seen.  That current one-two punch is reminiscent of  Gonzo and Azevedo, The Brands bros. the Schultz's, Keller twins, etc.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Rooving said:

This one has always puzzled me when I look back at it.

I checked out of wrestling, I became very resentful after an injury ruined my career, for a few years after high school so I missed a lot of what happened in the years before he went to PSU. A quick perusal on Wiki looks like he turned Iowa state into a legitimate contender for a little bit and obviously it was his alma matter.

Can anyone provide context? Was their bad blood? I just find it odd that he would leave Iowa State considering the trajectory he had them on.

Well played.  This thread has immatured nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×