Rooving

Why Did Sanderson Leave Iowa State For PSU?

This one has always puzzled me when I look back at it.

I checked out of wrestling, I became very resentful after an injury ruined my career, for a few years after high school so I missed a lot of what happened in the years before he went to PSU. A quick perusal on Wiki looks like he turned Iowa state into a legitimate contender for a little bit and obviously it was his alma matter.

Can anyone provide context? Was their bad blood? I just find it odd that he would leave Iowa State considering the trajectory he had them on.

Some Iowa State fans became upset after the move, but no bad blood before it. Certainly none on Sanderson's part and none before hand that I recall on the school's part.

He moved because PSU wanted him and made a huge offer. He stated that PSU being a large flagship State school set in the middle of the most fertile wrestling hotbed of PA created the perfect opportunity.

2 hours ago, headshuck said:

coaches.gif?format=1500w

Gable: "See Terry back there, I will make it his mission in life to go after you like a pit bull if you don't get out of this state.  This is Iowa, it's my state!!!"

1 hour ago, BHawk91 said:

He left because he knew he could never beat Iowa if he stayed at Iowa State.  Talk about pooping, he pooped on the school that made him who he is.

It is more likely than not Iowa State would be above Iowa right now because the same system would have been in place and many of the same recruits would have been Cyclones.

Additionally.....I seem to remember another legendary Coach who had an almost Identical college and international competing career, then left not for a school on the other side of the country, but his school's bitter in state rival.  You were saying something about pooping on your school?? 

Just now, Lurker said:

It is more likely than not Iowa State would be above Iowa right now because the same system would have been in place and many of the same recruits would have been Cyclones.

Additionally.....I seem to remember another legendary Coach who had an almost Identical college and international competing career, then left not for a school on the other side of the country, but his school's bitter in state rival.  You were saying something about pooping on your school?? 

I don't know if Iowa State would be ahead of Iowa. Not because Cael couldn't, but because your athletic departments support is important. Pollard looks like he is supporting ISU wrestling now that it fell, but I think he took for granted what he had in Cael. PSU embraced what their wrestling team could be and gave him full support. I don't remember where I heard this, but I believe it was an interview with Cody saying that Cael had been entertaining the idea of leaving for awhile before he packed up and went to State College. 

3 hours ago, headshuck said:

Gable said "go have fun somewhere else!"

coaches.gif?format=1500w

I get that the picture is over a decade old. But man... in retrospect, those coaches' clothes look ridiculously baggy.

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

I don't know if Iowa State would be ahead of Iowa. Not because Cael couldn't, but because your athletic departments support is important. Pollard looks like he is supporting ISU wrestling now that it fell, but I think he took for granted what he had in Cael. PSU embraced what their wrestling team could be and gave him full support. I don't remember where I heard this, but I believe it was an interview with Cody saying that Cael had been entertaining the idea of leaving for awhile before he packed up and went to State College. 

Truth, good point. Although I believe they still would be ahead of Iowa, just maybe not quite what Penn State is now.

Edited by Lurker

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

ISU finished ahead of Iowa in 2007, which was Cael's first year as head coach.

As I recall several folks were in the mix to include Mr. Terry Brands...Mr. Flynn and even the great Mr. Koll...Mr. Sanderson reached out and the deal was cut...Divide and conquer plus the family came as well...The PSU "Train" was born and hasn't looked back since!!!

1 hour ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Back to the OP's question, I've heard that there was some kind of rift between AD Pollard and Sanderson that predated his decision to accept the Penn State job. Supposedly that, and the opportunity that Penn State offered, were the primary reasons he took over the Nittany Lions program..

That what I heard from people that wrestled at ISU. Pollard didn't like some things Cael was doing and called him out. 

2 hours ago, BHawk91 said:

He left because he knew he could never beat Iowa if he stayed at Iowa State.  Talk about pooping, he pooped on the school that made him who he is.

Not to mention pooping on Bobby Douglas

4 hours ago, Rooving said:

I checked out of wrestling, I became very resentful after an injury ruined my career, for a few years after high school so I missed a lot of what happened in the years before he went to PSU. A quick perusal on Wiki looks like he turned Iowa state into a legitimate contender for a little bit and obviously it was his alma matter.

Can anyone provide context? Was their bad blood? I just find it odd that he would leave Iowa State considering the trajectory he had them on.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Russelscout already took the first point for me so I don't need to say anything there.

Point 2: Gable never coached at Iowa State.  Sure he went there and became a legend as a wrestler but he never coached for them.  Cael actually coached at Iowa State and then left them high and dry because he knew he was in the shadow of Iowa.  Was Gable offered the job at Iowa State and turned it down?  If that is the case then I will eat crow and say I was wrong but if Gable was never offered the job then your point holds no water.  Gable didn't crap on his school if said school never offered him employment. 

4 hours ago, Rooving said:

Here’s some good background information:

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/sports/29wrestling.html

8 minutes ago, BHawk91 said:

Russelscout already took the first point for me so I don't need to say anything there.

Point 2: Gable never coached at Iowa State.  Sure he went there and became a legend as a wrestler but he never coached for them.  Cael actually coached at Iowa State and then left them high and dry because he knew he was in the shadow of Iowa.  Was Gable offered the job at Iowa State and turned it down?  If that is the case then I will eat crow and say I was wrong but if Gable was never offered the job then your point holds no water.  Gable didn't crap on his school if said school never offered him employment. 

Do you still work for the very first employer that employed you?