Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Could PSU win the title this year w/o a champion?

Of course this is a worst case, very unlikely scenario that they would have 0 champs.  But if things went down this way, could they still win a team title?

125 - no qualifier (a lock)

133 - RBY goes 2-2 and out in the blood round (realistic)

141 - Lee takes a loss early but battles back and finishes 3-5 (this is what happened last year)

149 - Verk or Berge goes 2-2 (realistic)

157 - Nolf gets upset in the finals, takes 2nd (hard to see this happening)

165 - Joseph loses either in the finals or semis (Wick, Marinelli, White), takes 2nd or 3rd (realistic)

174 - Hall loses either in the finals or the semis (Zahid, Lewis) takes 2nd or 3rd (realistic)

184 - Shakur loses in the quarters, finishes 5-7 (realistic)

197 - Bo gets upset in the finals, finishes 2nd (also hard to see this happening)

285 - Cassar loses in quarters or semis, finishes 3-5 (White, Stoll, Gable) (realistic) 

So in summary, NQ, DNP, 4th, DNP, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 2nd, 3rd...assuming "normal bonus" is that enough for a team title?

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Of course this is a worst case, very unlikely scenario that they would have 0 champs.  But if things went down this way, could they still win a team title?

125 - no qualifier (a lock)

133 - RBY goes 2-2 and out in the blood round (realistic)

141 - Lee takes a loss early but battles back and finishes 3-5 (this is what happened last year)

149 - Verk or Berge goes 2-2 (realistic)

157 - Nolf gets upset in the finals, takes 2nd (hard to see this happening)

165 - Joseph loses either in the finals or semis (Wick, Marinelli, White), takes 2nd or 3rd (realistic)

174 - Hall loses either in the finals or the semis (Zahid, Lewis) takes 2nd or 3rd (realistic)

184 - Shakur loses in the quarters, finishes 5-7 (realistic)

197 - Bo gets upset in the finals, finishes 2nd (also hard to see this happening)

285 - Cassar loses in quarters or semis, finishes 3-5 (White, Stoll, Gable) (realistic) 

So in summary, NQ, DNP, 4th, DNP, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 2nd, 3rd...assuming "normal bonus" is that enough for a team title?

Like Iowa in 2009?

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Nolf,

Cenzo,

Hall,

Nickal

Lee or Cassar is the 5th?

Of course they can, they have 4 guys alone that will score probably 90 points.  They won't need much more than that to win it this year but they will get a lot more.

6 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Lee. I think Cassar loses in the semis or earlier.

Interesting.  I think Lee has a lot bigger chance of losing earlier..  There are a lot of guys at 141 who have beat him before (McKenna, Moran, Carr, Eireman, Yanni, Red (in HS).

For Cassar he has only lost to White and would be an underdog to Gable.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Interesting.  I think Lee has a lot bigger chance of losing earlier..  There are a lot of guys at 141 who have beat him before (McKenna, Moran, Carr, Eireman, Yanni, Red (in HS).

Lee's got the measure of his opponents I think. He's improved a lot over last year, I think he's quite solid. In fact I think he's got a great chance of making the finals.

Cassar is better than nearly anybody at HWT, but he's still got to grind through Big 10s and NCAAs against guys generally a  lot bigger than he is. I think the odds he's upset are pretty high.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

All depends on who takes the placement points instead. Are they spread out amongst a number of schools? Does Michigan or OkSt get hot and sneak in a few there that we weren’t expecting?  Question can’t be thought of just in terms of what PSU is doing, as much as that might ruffle PSU fans feathers...

If they end up not having a champ, meaning more goes wrong in one year then every other year combined from them, i wouldnt be suprised if they messed around and put 8 in the finals, because frankly something will still go right for them and they will win.

5 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

They could, but the only way Nolf doesn't win the title is a catastrophic injury.  And even then, he might win it.  

He won on basically one leg already. The list of injuries Nolf could sustain and still win this tournament is...quite long.

Could they.... Yes.  But their chances greatly diminish.  OSU may have more AA's than PSU.  if PSU has no champions then they will be neck and  with with OSU.  Plus if they have no champions then tOSU get champion points with Martin at least.  Michigan, tOSU, OSU, and Iowa are going to be very close in points. What keeps them close, and separates PSU, is the PSU champions.  If they don't have any champions then they became on even ground with the other four teams and it means that one of the other four teams probably ends up with with a champion.  Will PSU win it? They are heavy favorites.  But again they are favorites because of the championships.  If they are just a 6-7 all-american team... Well there are about 4 other teams that are right at that level. 

15 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Lee. I think Cassar loses in the semis or earlier.

15 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I see the most likely scenario being White beats Stoll (if he goes) on Sunday locks in the #2 seed and Cassar goes down to Gable in the finals at Bigs and again loses to Gable in the semis as the #3 seed at NCAA's

I know one thing for sure.  PSU won't have a champion at 141.  No way Lee beats either Eierman or Yianni.  Even Yianni and McKenna recognize the way to beat Eierman is slow it down, be tactical and positional, and pick your shots carefully.  If Lee pushes the pace on Eierman and tries to go toe to toe, he'll get stuck and Yianni will eat his lunch as well.

9 hours ago, portajohn said:

I see the most likely scenario being White beats Stoll (if he goes) on Sunday locks in the #2 seed and Cassar goes down to Gable in the finals at Bigs and again loses to Gable in the semis as the #3 seed at NCAA's

Gable would be the one seed in this scenario, so cassar and white would wrestle in the semis not cassar and gable.

2 hours ago, tigerfan said:

I know one thing for sure.  PSU won't have a champion at 141.  No way Lee beats either Eierman or Yianni.  Even Yianni and McKenna recognize the way to beat Eierman is slow it down, be tactical and positional, and pick your shots carefully.  If Lee pushes the pace on Eierman and tries to go toe to toe, he'll get stuck and Yianni will eat his lunch as well.

You may be correct...Mr. Diakomihlais will face Mr. Gil in the EIWA Championships and Mr. Eierman will face Mr. Kelly/Mr. Lantry in the MAC...The B1G along with Mr. Alber will make the 2019 bracket way more interesting than 2018!!!

Things that will happen: Cenzo will lose to a freshman and Cassar will win nationals after not previously qualifying. There is precedent, and this is an internet forum so obviously I am correct