Billyhoyle

Split the Hodge

I'm all for the split between dominant three-timers on the same team,. but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

There are still the conference tournaments and NCAAs and lots of interesting things can happen. 

Pin your way through Pittsburgh, and you are looking mighty shiny.   

Falter in an early round and things get dicy.   

Keep a third eye open t for a teammate (Joseph, Hall) or a guy from another school (Martin, Steveson) who is lighting up the night.

I'm anti-splitting of awards.  Someone wins, that's the whole point to me.  There's a difference.  Right now I have a slight edge to Nickal, but there is some recency bias with the pin over Moore.  I think by the time we get to March, though, Nolf will take it.  I think Nolf will dominate his finals opponent, whomever they may be, more than Nickal will.  I know Nickal just pinned him, but I just don't think he pins Moore again.  I know, playing w/ fire there.  I have NOlf majoring his finals opponent and Nickal winning a decision over Moore.

To jchapman:

Can you explain who you mean by "they"? Last year in the issue of WIN telling that Zain Retherford had won, Bryan Van Kley, publisher of WIN, explained that we have a select panel of retired  coaches, select media and experts from other organizations who vote, as well as all former Hodge  Trophy winners. In addition, we had over 25,000 unique votes cast on line.  Bryan and I own the Hodge Trophy equally and we don't always agree. So again...I'm curious who you think are the "they" who make this decision? -- Mike Chapman (no relation to jchapman), Creator of the Dan Hodge Trophy.

15 hours ago, iwrite said:

To jchapman:

Can you explain who you mean by "they"? Last year in the issue of WIN telling that Zain Retherford had won, Bryan Van Kley, publisher of WIN, explained that we have a select panel of retired  coaches, select media and experts from other organizations who vote, as well as all former Hodge  Trophy winners. In addition, we had over 25,000 unique votes cast on line.  Bryan and I own the Hodge Trophy equally and we don't always agree. So again...I'm curious who you think are the "they" who make this decision? -- Mike Chapman (no relation to jchapman), Creator of the Dan Hodge Trophy.

The Hodge voters.

Mike, I know you created the Hodge and I know it is a good promotion for the sport.  My reply has to do with the posters who spend several threads throughout the season debating minutiae (like who pinned a higher ranked opponent) that is unrelated to the reality of how the Hodge is awarded.

Edited by jchapman