jon_osu

Iowa in Stillwater

It's starting to look like another year of why Iowa is a shadow of its former self from the past.  Zero evolution but Desanto has improved dramatically.

Advice to superstars from PA not recruited by PSU...go to Cornell or NC State.

Meanwhile OSU looks to be getting ready to peak.  They have not looked this good for 3 years.

2 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Caption contest.  

5c7319bca2c9e.png?width=850&quality=80

Imagine this forum if the roles were reversed here. There would be calls for a lifetime ban for Desanto. That's a straight up choke.

24 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Probably, but Fix hasn't repeatedly taunted multiple crowds/teams with a throat slash.

None of which is as bad as choking your opponent. There was no point in doing that other than to choke him. At least look like you're trying to turn him. Obviously, Desanto doesn't really have room to complain given his history, nor do I think he would, but that was dirty and out of character for Daton.

1 minute ago, qc8223 said:

None of which is as bad as choking your opponent. There was no point in doing that other than to choke him. At least look like you're trying to turn him. Obviously, Desanto doesn't really have room to complain given his history, nor do I think he would, but that was dirty and out of character for Daton.

Maybe so, but that explains why there is no uproar and why there would be one of Desanto did the "choking."

I am a former high school coach and current ref. I have noticed that Lee almost always starts on the left in the advantage position.  It seemed as if Picc as leaning away a little before the whistle.  I am sure that is fine.  However, when Lee started to get on top, Picc would  lean even harder away from him, giving him the ability to avoid a breakdown and more easily sit.  It seems as if this would be a caution (and I know Lee had a tight waist at times ).  Why isn't it called? 

1 hour ago, Boompa said:

It's starting to look like another year of why Iowa is a shadow of its former self from the past.  Zero evolution but Desanto has improved dramatically.

Advice to superstars from PA not recruited by PSU...go to Cornell or NC State.

Meanwhile OSU looks to be getting ready to peak.  They have not looked this good for 3 years.

OSU didn't look this good last week against Mizzou.  Maybe wrestling Iowa makes anyone look good.

56 minutes ago, Perry said:

Lewis pins returning champ, still fringe top 4. 

Not a knock, but one win doesn’t mean he is ahead of Hall, Valencia or Amine.  174 is quite top heavy. He did lose to Amine this year and lost to him at NCAA’s last year as well. Who out of the 3 would you favor him over?

36 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I am a former high school coach and current ref. I have noticed that Lee almost always starts on the left in the advantage position.  It seemed as if Picc as leaning away a little before the whistle.  I am sure that is fine.  However, when Lee started to get on top, Picc would  lean even harder away from him, giving him the ability to avoid a breakdown and more easily sit.  It seems as if this would be a caution (and I know Lee had a tight waist at times ).  Why isn't it called? 

Yeah that was clearly a caution. Ref was not on his A game today, at least I hope that wasn't his A game. Won't call it home cooking because he screwed Ok St. just as often. 

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

He released it pretty quick. Within reaction time, lol.

Yeah I don't really have a problem with it honestly. The point was to make Desanto uncomfortable down there and that's what he did. It's still dirty, but wrestling is a dirty sport.

Okla St. Looked very sharp and Iowa didn't, and hopefully for Iowa's sake they can regroup for the last couple of meets of the year. 

But my real reason for this post is, that I have to say Spencer does not look like the Spencer of old. I don't know what's going on, but I hope he can get past this before the NCAA's. 

4 hours ago, VakAttack said:

174:  Bowman is just what he is. a slightly above average D1 wrestler.  Just to be clear on Rogers celebrations, are we ok with him performing (checks scoreboard) 157 separate celebrations?  At no point does that become "disrespectful to the sport"?  Either way, I personally loved it.

What celebration?  All he did was shake hands and run off the mat.  Nothing to see here...

Not a knock, but one win doesn’t mean he is ahead of Hall, Valencia or Amine.  174 is quite top heavy. He did lose to Amine this year and lost to him at NCAA’s last year as well. Who out of the 3 would you favor him over?
Maybe you don't favor him over the other three, but you said you don't see him higher than 4th. So you don't see a scenario where he could come out above one of those three at the tournament? Same with Eierman? Maybe 4th is more likely for them, but certainly not their ceiling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, de4856 said:

Okla St. Looked very sharp and Iowa didn't, and hopefully for Iowa's sake they can regroup for the last couple of meets of the year. 

But my real reason for this post is, that I have to say Spencer does not look like the Spencer of old. I don't know what's going on, but I hope he can get past this before the NCAA's. 

Needs to change up his game. Guys are getting coached up against him after he torched 125 last year. Plus, he might not be relatively as dominant, strength-wise, as he was last year.  Maybe he changed his diet, or didn't hit the weights after last season, or who knows what.

3 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Maybe you don't favor him over the other three, but you said you don't see him higher than 4th. So you don't see a scenario where he could come out above one of those three at the tournament? Same with Eierman? Maybe 4th is more likely for them, but certainly not their ceiling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To be clear, ANYTHING is possible. But, saying I don’t see it is because I think the chances are low.  As good as Mizz has been, they don’t exactly have a strong track record of overachieving at NCAA’s and that was mainly my point.

Realistic expectations across the board for all teams has really been the point and same goes for Iowa. After yesterday’s performance I dropped what I thought their bottom end would be by quite a bit. I really thought they were the front runners for 2nd. But, Lee finally has me scared and Murin just hasn’t developed like I expected.  Wilcke is a pure crapshoot and I  can’t keep defending Stoll. 

With all that said, I really like Mizz and respect Smith as much as any coach.  I just think they are a team made up of top 12ish guys that doesn’t translate well to the NCAA tournament format.