jon_osu

Iowa in Stillwater

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Again, Gilman thought Iowa was #1 two years ago? What was he smokin? 

Obviously the same stuff you’re smoking for believing that it was recent and continuing to run with it after you’ve been told it was an old video.

2 minutes ago, Mpchillin said:

Obviously the same stuff you’re smoking for believing that it was recent and continuing to run with it after you’ve been told it was an old video.

Oh, I was never trying to convince anyone of anything. Just saw the video with Feb. 20, 2019 on it, listened half heartedly to Gilman in street clothes proclaiming Iowa #1 and thought he sounded dumb. The fact its from two years ago doesn't change that assessment. 

Btw, great dual in Stillwater today. Totally awesome, dude. 

Edited by TBar1977

7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Oh, I was never trying to convince anyone of anything. Just saw the video with Feb. 20, 2019 on it, listened half heartedly to Gilman in street clothes proclaiming Iowa #1 and thought he sounded dumb. The fact its from two years ago doesn't change that assessment. 

Btw, great dual in Stillwater today. Totally awesome, dude. 

I had a good time, thanks man.

39 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

They stuck it right next to the Interview with Brands and Smith that were from this week. They also placed the date Feb. 20, 2019 on it.  Plus, Gilman isn't the most captivating speaker so nobody pays him much mind or listens all that closely to his tough guy act begin with.  Blame Flo, not the posters here. 

He literally talks about getting to wrestle in the dual the next day and refers to Ok St. as the #1 team in the country. If you're going to refer to the interview to poke fun, you're also responsible for understanding the content of the interview. Plus, it was uploaded on Wednesday. Did people people think Iowa spent the week in Stillwater?  And since you still haven't seemed to catch on to this, neither of those interviews from Brands or Smith were from this year either

48 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

So you are saying Gilman thought Iowa was #1 two years ago in 2017? That's weird. 

It would be way weirder for him to say it this year wouldn't it? Iowa was expected to give Penn State a go that year with seniors Gilman, Clark, Meyer, and Brooks all returning as AAs and Ok St. was ranked 1st going into the dual and Iowa had a serious shot to win. You got caught not paying attention and instead of admitting it, you stupidly doubled down which somehow makes you look even dumber than everybody already thinks you are.

31 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

He literally talks about getting to wrestle in the dual the next day and refers to Ok St. as the #1 team in the country. If you're going to refer to the interview to poke fun, you're also responsible for understanding the content of the interview. Plus, it was uploaded on Wednesday. Did people people think Iowa spent the week in Stillwater?  And since you still haven't seemed to catch on to this, neither of those interviews from Brands or Smith were from this year either

Then why did they put the 2019 date on them???

9 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Then why did they put the 2019 date on them???

They don't manually enter dates, bud. They uploaded those interviews onto the event page on February 20th, so that's the date that shows up. A lot of the videos were edited segments of much longer interviews, so they were completely new videos. Context clues are your friend here. When a guy who graduated two years ago talks about getting ready to wrestle tomorrow, that should clue you in that this wasn't a recent interview, not to mention it took place in the Ok St. room and it was uploaded 4 days before the dual. Did you think Iowa flew into Stillwater Tuesday night for their Sunday dual?

I honestly can't tell if you're 15 years old or 70. That's pretty cool, I guess.

Edited by qc8223

Just now, qc8223 said:

They don't manually enter dates, bud. They uploaded those interviews onto the event page on February 20th, so that's the date that shows up. A lot of the videos were edited segments of much longer interviews, so they were completely new videos. Context clues are your friend here. When a guy who graduated two years ago talks about getting ready to wrestle tomorrow, that should clue you in that this wasn't a recent interview, not to mention it took place in the Ok St. room and it was uploaded 4 days before the dual. Did you think Iowa flew into Stillwater Tuesday night for their Sunday dual?

Whatever. You win. Gilman is still a dummy for thinking Iowa was #1 at anytime in recent years. 

Just now, TBar1977 said:

Whatever. You win. Gilman is still a dummy for thinking Iowa was #1 at anytime in recent years. 

Wrestlers are famous for not believing they are the best unless they are ranked first. If Cassar thinks he's the best heavyweight in the country, he's a dummy for sure.

125:  Not much to say, Spencer was clearly gassed when Picc faced up after the escape and Picc just slapped that cradle on and horsed him over.  If people don't think there's something wrong w/ Spencer this year, I don't know how you could claim there wasn't.  However, it doesn't really matter.  He's wrestling, and whatever he places this year will count on his record.  But to say it's just guys catching up to him.....He was battling Nathan Tomasello into the third period three separate times, including pinning him at NCAAs, and none of these guys that have beat him this year are near as physical or as good at handfighting.

133:  Desanto gave it a great go.  Fix is just a bit better.  Fix stalled on top for the entire third, but was also denied what looked like a clear TD in the 1st, so...meh.

141:  Brock continues to be one of the most skilled guys at any weight who's sum is less than his individual parts.  Murin is just not a threat to most decent guys.

149:  I thought Lugo would win because the height difference that I believe has slowed down his finishing, and he did.  He was better from neutral, and he seemed to figure out some of Gfeller's funk by midmatch.  Lugo is peaking.

157:  Young is good, not great.  Could place as high as 5th, or DNP.  He doesn't chase down his offense as much as he should.

165:  Marinelli has been theb est 165 this season, but it's still a bear of a weight, and Cenzo will at best be a coinflip for Marinelli, IMO.

174:  Bowman is just what he is. a slightly above average D1 wrestler.  Just to be clear on Rogers celebrations, are we ok with him performing (checks scoreboard) 157 separate celebrations?  At no point does that become "disrespectful to the sport"?  Either way, I personally loved it.

184:  Wilcke just is who he is.  Smith is better, and Wilcke has slow feet.

197:  Warner easily wins if he wrestles a smarter match.  Wiegel stalled on top throughout and somehow didn't get called.

HW:  Speaking of stalling...Stoll should have been hit for at least 3 calls.

I think if Warner just cuts him in the 3rd that match could've went his way.  

Lugo and Marinelli both look on.  Young doesn't look the part of an AA to me but BIG 10's will tell me more.

Wilcke and Stoll in the same boat.  Both need improvement to get near the podium.  

Spencer definitely doesn't look like himself, but it is what it is at this point.  Hopefully, we see something different in 2 weeks.  If not, he will not win a title in the current state.

DeSanto represented himself well today.  I don't mind the stall fist, it should've been called no more than Rogers at 174.  IF you don't disrespect or try to hurt your opponent than shoot the anklets out of the sky all you want. 

26 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

I honestly can't tell if you're 15 years old or 70. That's pretty cool, I guess.

I already stated I barely watched the Gilman vid and really only paid enough attention to hear if he said anything inflammatory. Now, the Brands interview here, point out the context clues in this video. How am I supposed to know when this was shot when the date is this week? I can't tell from anything he said, nor any of his surroundings. So you tell me, what are the context clues here? 

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6305711-iowa-at-oklahoma-state-2019-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6363785&limit=60

Edited by TBar1977

I saw Spencer fade in a couple matches last year specifically the first time he wrestled both Rivera and Piccininni with the difference being he was already up comfortably on both of them. Yes it is plausible to say with the right game plan you can go with him 

16 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

My Iowa Thoughts:

I'm in the "there's something wrong with Lee" camp.  I love Marinelli.  Desanto has improved a ton at Iowa.  But there are too many good/not great wrestlers in their lineup and NCAA's will probably expose them even more than Okie State did.  

Disagree, mostly because there isn't the firepower nationwide to expose what you're talking about.  They have three, maybe 4 great wrestlers in their lineup.  If they go lower than third I'd be pretty surprised.

EDIT:  Lower than 4th, I should have said.  Penn State, Ohio State, and Okie State are all capable of outplacing them as a team.

Edited by VakAttack

7 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Disagree, mostly because there isn't the firepower nationwide to expose what you're talking about.  They have three, maybe 4 great wrestlers in their lineup.  If they go lower than third I'd be pretty surprised.

EDIT:  Lower than 4th, I should have said.  Penn State, Ohio State, and Okie State are all capable of outplacing them as a team.

I hate to say it, but the way Micic is wrestling Michigan could snipe them as well. Amine, Pantaleo, Massa and Storr are all solid AA candidates.  Parris, Mattin and Embree are fringe guys that probably go 2-2 or 3-2 at NCAA’s. 

Today’s version of Iowa likely falls behind them as well....

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Michigan and Mizzou?

1 minute ago, silvermedal said:

Michigan and Mizzou?

Agree with Mich, but can’t endorse Mizz. They are more designed to win a duals tournament than NCAA’s. They have solid guys up and down the lineup, but no real high end guy. As good as Lewis has looked I don’t see him higher than 4th. The same goes for Eierman. After that you have several guys that need the right bracket to reach the podium. I just don’t see them scoring enough to crack the top five.