Perry

Spencer Lee and Iowa

3 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Last post before i leave you be. Yes they likely improved. My guess is Lee was working hard also and improving.

I never even said Lee would win if was 100% but you can put words in my mouth if you want. I just said he looks off, and definitely doesn't look like a funk.

When you're in a funk, you look off. That's the definition of being in a funk.

And they didnt "likely improve". They definitively improved. Again disrespecting Picc and Rivera.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

9 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

When you're in a funk, you look off. That's the definition of being in a funk.

You cant be that... nvm. When your in a funk usually you arent wrestling your typical way. It has nothing to do with completely gassing. Its making dumb mistakes you dont generally make, he is wrestling the same in the first and running out of steam. 

The Likely improve was about every 125 lber Lee has wrestled since midlands thats made it to the second period, causing Lee to gas. They probably all have improved, just like Lee probably was improving until whatever hes dealing with showed up. Ive already stated that those two improved! They improved + lee dealing with whatever hes dealing with = them dominating him. Lee 100% vs them who have improved = good match? Got it?

Now im done.

Edited by Molsen

18 minutes ago, Molsen said:

You cant be that... nvm. When your in a funk usually you arent wrestling your typical way. It has nothing to do with completely gassing. Its making dumb mistakes you dont generally make, he is wrestling the same in the first and running out of steam. 

The Likely improve was about every 125 lber Lee has wrestled since midlands thats made it to the second period, causing Lee to gas. They probably all have improved, just like Lee probably was improving until whatever hes dealing with showed up. Ive already stated that those two improved! They improved + lee dealing with whatever hes dealing with = them dominating him. Lee 100% vs them who have improved = good match? Got it?

Now im done.

Wrong. You have a very specific definition for being in a funk. Being in a funk means something is off mentally. When you're off mentally sometimes you think too much which can burn up your energy and sap your motivation. You start wrestling not to lose instead of wrestling to win. Ever deal with someone who is depressed? They're usually tired all the time. The mind controls the body.

Happened to Dustin Schlatter his sophomore year. Happens to a lot of people, including world championship level athletes.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

11 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Be nice to defan79. He's a self proclaimed PSU fan.

Hey Defan79 do Ben Askren and Matt Dernlan know nothing about wrestling? Dernlan is quoted as saying he doesn't think Spencer's issues are physical in nature and Askren agreed. I want to see you say they know nothing about wrestling.

Would a potential illness be considered "physical in nature"? 

Edit:  And if he said he "thinks it's not physical in nature," that's a lot different than the Flo guys saying pretty definitively that "nothing's wrong with him." 

Edited by 1032004

On 2/25/2019 at 7:25 AM, KTG119 said:

since change from 118 to 125 we've had one 3 timer Abas, and the following 2 timers: McDonough, Delgado, Dubuque. so about half the titles have been part of multi timer's reigns. 

Do you know if Jack Cuvo won it 3x at 118  or just 2?  Man, I liked him a lot.  Great sweep single.

Well, I have no idea what is going on with Spencer, and what I see is that he just isn't the same dominating wrestler from days past. Why is this occurring, I have no idea. But I think that we will find out at some point after the season. Hopefully for Spencer's sake he can get to a better place here in a couple of weeks for the Big Dance. 

On 2/27/2019 at 1:28 AM, BigTenFanboy said:

To me it's more fathomable that guys like Picc and Rivera have jumped levels. It's more fathomable that Spencer for the first time in his life has been figured out and hes having difficulty dealing with not being multiple levels above his competition. It's more fathomable that a kid coming out of high school with his training and skills is closer to his ceiling than those less credentialed. It's more fathomable that a kid who's had the successes that he has while still being hungry for more success isnt has hungry as those less accomplished. But you know what? He had a killer NCAA tournament where he pinned Nato (with a torn ACL, again zero excuses coming from tOSU) and handled Suriano(recovering from staph and hospital stay) so yes he should never lose ever unless he is mortally wounded. And ofcourse Spencer is the only one who has to deal with sickness, injury or just plain being in a funk. But it's impossible for Spencer to ever be in a funk. If he doesnt win NCAAs this year the record books should have a  big giant star saying NCAA CHAMP ONLY CUZ SPENCER HAD MONO or was it the flu, or no his ACL flavored up again. 

Again Iowa fans dont know the meaning of "make no excuses"

So Glory went from being tech'd to losing by 6 points, and putting Lee on his back multiple times 3 weeks later because he figured Lee out? Coincidentally the same weekend that SeaBass and the coaching staff at Northwestern were able to outsmart Lee and Brands and figure Lee out. Then, the worldbeater stud, Sean Russell, who also got tech'd be Lee, figured Lee out 2 weeks after that. That's what you're all saying when you say that "the field figured him out"

It's obvious that Picc and SeaBass have gotten a lot better since last year, but it's also obvious that Lee has gotten a lot worse as well. Since I doubt that Lee has forgotten how to wrestle in one year, I'm guessing that it must be something physical that's taken away his strength, power, and endurance.

47 minutes ago, mg113 said:

So Glory went from being tech'd to losing by 6 points, and putting Lee on his back multiple times 3 weeks later because he figured Lee out? Coincidentally the same weekend that SeaBass and the coaching staff at Northwestern were able to outsmart Lee and Brands and figure Lee out. Then, the worldbeater stud, Sean Russell, who also got tech'd be Lee, figured Lee out 2 weeks after that. That's what you're all saying when you say that "the field figured him out"

It's obvious that Picc and SeaBass have gotten a lot better since last year, but it's also obvious that Lee has gotten a lot worse as well. Since I doubt that Lee has forgotten how to wrestle in one year, I'm guessing that it must be something physical that's taken away his strength, power, and endurance.

Lee put Glory on his back multiple times with 1 move. Learn to block that 1 move hes no longer going to him back multiple times. Lee has been figured out. Hes not the first elite level guy to get figured out and wont be the last.

1 hour ago, mg113 said:

I blame Pokemon. He stole Spencer Lee's powers. 

image.jpeg.4429c87d82d4c00cac36fd2b0f573b53.jpeg

Edited by TBar1977

7 hours ago, Peso said:

Do you know if Jack Cuvo won it 3x at 118  or just 2?  Man, I liked him a lot.  Great sweep single.

As lu alum already answered two timer. his soph year there was a senior 3 timer Bonomo finishing out his career. nice 5 year run at 118 for small Pa colleges. 

Lee looked solid at B1G but still couldn't get it done vs Rivera. I really do think he has a limited arsenal but is a master of what he's good at. He's been figured out as others have stated. He needs to add to his game and make adjustments or I imagine it will be more of the same. I could see him as the 5 seed at NCAAs this year with his losses (honestly hope he gets penalized for ducking at the NW dual as well). 

2 minutes ago, Perry said:

Lee looked solid at B1G but still couldn't get it done vs Rivera. I really do think he has a limited arsenal but is a master of what he's good at. He's been figured out as others have stated. He needs to add to his game and make adjustments or I imagine it will be more of the same. I could see him as the 5 seed at NCAAs this year with his losses (honestly hope he gets penalized for ducking at the NW dual as well). 

Now you've done it, Perry.

Image result for worlds will collide gif

On 2/26/2019 at 10:41 AM, Sublime607 said:

I may have had 1 to many drinks when I posted that but reading some of the comments on flow posts gets me fired up. The PSU fan has to interject stuff like RBY will win 133 and Nick Lee is on a different level than anyone else at 141. Its starting to make me sour on PSU. Seriously everyone knows PSU is the best team but some of these fans seem to try and make a case for a PSU wrestler being 1# in every weight class.

For some reason we know they should, except maybe for 125. Can't understand why 125 is such a problem for them. Maybe it is Cael's mormon God doesn't like smaller wrestlers? After all, BYU and his church leaders fired BYU athletic director Rondo Fehlburg(BYU All American Wrestler) partly because he was a wrestler and partly because the head of the school is prejudiced against short people. Maybe Penn State's 125 failures are directly from God?

On the Squawkeyes - Tom Brands is fun to tweak. So easy and the fact he is a darned good coach makes it even easier. He bleeds for his guys and everyone sees it. He's not Gable, but no one else is either. Not even Cael.

2 hours ago, mg113 said:

Can't speak to the other 125ers, but Rivera has improved significantly from last year. Look at his matches against the rest of the 125 field - no one's been close to him this year. If he's improved against everyone else, why wouldn't he improve against Lee too?

The Lee I saw last night in the Big Ten championships looked like the Lee of old - tough to take down and a hammer on top. This is just what he looks like against competition that's improving and also adjusting to his style after multiple head-to-heads.

I'm still predicting Spencer will win 125 as long as he gets a decent seed. He looked pretty good at Big Tens, except for maybe the last 44 seconds of finals. The tournament format seems to suit him well, which leads me to believe that maybe his issue is weight management (did he ever have to bother with learning to cut weight before college?) or something that requires some breathing room between weigh-ins and competition.

With a good seed, he can get a bye or take care of business against a low/unseeded wrestler even if he's at 30% or whatever then rest... unlike dual meets where he might have to hit the mat against a tough wrestler soon after weigh-ins. If Lee can get past his early round matches and stay in the championship side of the bracket, his chances of winning increase even if the caliber of competition stiffens. Going into day 2 and finals he'll have plenty of recovery time.