sansbarksdale

FLOwrestling is an absolute disgrace

43 minutes ago, buf87 said:

I would skip over a lot of stuff if it wasn't live!  The unknown is part of the excitement.  If you know ahead of time the somebody is going it get a last second takedown to tie or win, isn't nearly as exciting as watching it live and not knowing.

Watching it after, does save me a lot of time though,  because I skip over the boring matches.

Could of saved a half hour of my life not watching Fix-Suriano live!!!

I like watching highlights if it isn't live but I'm a hardcore wrestling fan and you still won't see me sitting through whole matches unless they're live outside of rare exceptions for classic matches. 

Since it sounds like most of you forgot, the 2017 Penn State vs. Oklahoma State meet that keeps getting referenced in this post was originally scheduled to air on NBC Sports. But, if I am not mistaken, Flo hit them with a cease and desist as they had already signed up to be the exclusive provider of streaming for OSU home meets. While I understand expecting someone to follow the contract you've signed, it can of goes in the face of those arguing that Flo is doing us a favor and that other media outlets don't want these events. Of course, this is the narrative that Flo is perpetuating. 

1 minute ago, ptz305 said:

Flo is also preventing local media from showing the PIAA state tournament. 

http://www.altoonamirror.com/sports/local-sports/2019/02/piaas-deal-with-flo-wrestling-bad-news-for-tv-watchers/ 

I'm trilled. I'm not a PCN subscriber and would pay $14.99 to view the state finals each year on the PCN website.

5 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

Since it sounds like most of you forgot, the 2017 Penn State vs. Oklahoma State meet that keeps getting referenced in this post was originally scheduled to air on NBC Sports. But, if I am not mistaken, Flo hit them with a cease and desist as they had already signed up to be the exclusive provider of streaming for OSU home meets. While I understand expecting someone to follow the contract you've signed, it can of goes in the face of those arguing that Flo is doing us a favor and that other media outlets don't want these events. Of course, this is the narrative that Flo is perpetuating. 

Not everything they do is right or perfect, but as a whole they are growing the sport even if you refuse to acknowledge it.

4 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

it's false that NBC was originally scheduled to air on NBC, but you are correct that Flo owned the media rights and had to sue to NBC to keep them from stealing them.

I don't know what narrative you're following but it sounds like you've made one up in your head and are getting very upset about it. 

Just now, Jaroslav Hasek said:

it's false that NBC was originally scheduled to air on NBC, but you are correct that Flo owned the media rights and had to sue to NBC to keep them from stealing them.

I don't know what narrative you're following but it sounds like you've made one up in your head and are getting very upset about it. 

Classic case of "the grass being greener on the other side of the fence."

6 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

Flo is also preventing local media from showing the PIAA state tournament. 

http://www.altoonamirror.com/sports/local-sports/2019/02/piaas-deal-with-flo-wrestling-bad-news-for-tv-watchers/ 

yes that's how media rights work. PIAA could have sold them to PCN again if they wanted. alternatively, you could say that in the past, PCN was preventing the wrestling community beyond those that subscribe to a local cable channel from enjoying the PIAA state championships. now eveyone in the world can enjoy them. what a wonderful thing!

On 2/26/2019 at 11:09 AM, Jaroslav Hasek said:

If ESPN/Fox Sports/NBC Sports wanted wrestling they could have it. Flo would never win a bidding war. But you're right, they will let schools produce their own duals and then host them on their streaming services. I also encourage everyone to watch them!

*Cough* They wanted it and you sued them. *Cough* 

5 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

yes that's how media rights work. PIAA could have sold them to PCN again if they wanted. alternatively, you could say that in the past, PCN was preventing the wrestling community beyond those that subscribe to a local cable channel from enjoying the PIAA state championships. now eveyone in the world can enjoy them. what a wonderful thing!

@ $150.00 + tax

Just now, ptz305 said:

*Cough* They wanted it and you sued them. *Cough* 

yeah what are you not getting? NBC wanted to air it but they didn't want to pay for it. NBC could have easily outbid Flo for the media rights to Oklahoma State duals in 2017, but they didn't. they could've easily outbid Flo for the rights to this year's duals but they didn't. NBC may outbid us for the duals next year. We shall see!

likewise, ESPN is *preventing* Flo from producing and streaming Ivy League duals and tournaments. So they are on ESPN+ instead. that's how the business works!

I don't blame Flo. You guys are a business and you're in it to make money. But more people (many millions more) have access to those other services than your own. Objectively, for wrestling to grow, we want it to be accessible to everyone or at least as many people as possible. These exclusive contracts get in the way of it. They are great for Flo, but not good in the sense of "growing wrestling." Keep doing your thing, just don't try to be the good guy. Flo is in it to make money and sometimes it hurts the sport. 

Just now, ptz305 said:

I don't blame Flo. You guys are a business and you're in it to make money. But more people (many millions more) have access to those other services than your own. Objectively, for wrestling to grow, we want it to be accessible to everyone or at least as many people as possible. These exclusive contracts get in the way of it. They are great for Flo, but not good in the sense of "growing wrestling." Keep doing your thing, just don't try to be the good guy. Flo is in it to make money and sometimes it hurts the sport. 

Disagree it hurts the sport. Now there is a dedicated one stop shop to find great wrestling content, instead of having to search for it here and there. Helps the sport a great deal.

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

14.99 for 1 PIAA championship that cannot be replayed vs $150 for a year of content that can be viewed over and over and over again. You do the math.

It's not about math it's about what I want to view for my subscription. Some people don't want to pay for content they will never watch. That is why cable is dying.

1 minute ago, unbiased said:

It's not about math it's about what I want to view for my subscription. Some people don't want to pay for content they will never watch. That is why cable is dying.

And you'd be hard pressed to find someone who wants to watch the PIAA state finals and not want to watch the plethora of NCAA wrestling content Flo provides. Strategic marketing for product growth at its finest. The product being wrestling.

It's been said over and over again.  If you don't like what is produced, you have the option to not pay for the subscription.  Even without the Pro plan, you can get more from Flo regarding the sport of wrestling than almost any other option.  It is such a huge improvement over what we could find before Flo.

I have many friends who aren't die hard wrestling fans that have become more interested in the sport because of Flo.  If someone has another option that is better than Flo, please let me know.  It's certainly not the USA Wrestling site.

On 2/25/2019 at 8:57 AM, ptz305 said:

Can't believe the excuses people come up with for Flo.

Fact - At least 50% of the time the feed crashes during college events (seems like 100% for big duals)

Fact - 100% of the time they blame it on factors out of their control (mainly the viewer)

Fact - ESPN produces events at the same campuses without issues.

Fact - Before Flo's contract with OSU, this meet was broadcast on TV. 

STOP GIVING THEM MONEY! 

Fact - You're lying at an incredibly high rate.