sansbarksdale

FLOwrestling is an absolute disgrace

I've had Flo for I'm not sure how many years...have there been issues/disappointments at times, yes, but overall I want MY FLO....hopefully they continue to improve.  I look at my subscription this way....$150 is a lot less than say for example Okla State vs. Iowa yesterday.....I'm just doing a hypothetical...cost of admission ???$20, plane flight $300+, room $200-$300, rental car????, eating out, versus yesterday I was at a college match and watched the Cowboys/Hawkeyes at the same time (ate up a chunk of data on my phone though LOL).  And that would be the cost of a trip like that, instead for a year, I can watch high school, college, international....Flo and the BTN are helping wrestling to grow!!!!  I'll just stop there. 

13811osuiowa.jpg

Edited by fadzaev2

14 minutes ago, iGranby said:

I wont make excuses because I dont work for them or anything. This is just my view, etc. 

"ESPN" - Yes. No doubt. Im willing to bet they have more people working events, equipment, etc. They've also been doing it a lot longer. Thats just kind of a fact. Not making excuses, just stating some common sense IMO. 

You: "I won't make excuses."

Also You: Makes excuses.

Flo should invest in their infrastructure instead of pulling profits from the company or hiring more talking heads. Keep in mind, they are charging more than ESPN charges for ESPN+. 

Love Flo. But maybe if they ivested more in production for their sports that attrach a large audience (Track & Wrestling) instead of pumping content for a small audience (FloCheer, FloMarching, FloHoops, FloFootball) they wouldnt have this happen every time they broadcast a large event. If I want football or basketball knowledge, I'm not going to get my updates from FloHoops/Football. I think they had the broadcasting rights to the Paradise Jam basketball tournament in November and the production and commentary was pretty bad. Not sure why they're trying to expand into a market they'll never have a large audience in. 

It seems like their servers can never handle a large audience. As a media member, Pyles should not be on twitter like he works for IT. That's not his job, he shouldn't feel obligated to address people, so I'm not sure why he thought that would be a good idea. Understand he loves his job and company but that's a battle he cant win. 

Edited by FriendlyCamper

These threads get very old. First, we pay the same streaming price on Flo that we pay for HBO Now, HULU, Spotify, etc. And I can tell you I watch Flo a heck of a lot more than other streaming services. I am on Flo everyday! Second, most streaming  problems are either a subscriber's computer or slow internet service. My system may have to be reloaded sometimes, but that's computers. The Flo app on my Apple TV works great. So either you pay for good internet and Flo streaming or you don't. But IMHO it is a great service and has grown the sport simply by offering something that has never been offered before. Try finding matches from the eighties and nineties. If you find them on YouTube they well be blurry and hard to watch.

41 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

You: "I won't make excuses."

Also You: Makes excuses.

Flo should invest in their infrastructure instead of pulling profits from the company or hiring more talking heads. Keep in mind, they are charging more than ESPN charges for ESPN+. 

What excuses did I make? Lol. I gave you my opinion, and my experiences with the product vs what you said was “fact”. An excuse would be me placing blame for something on things beyond the control of Flo. Or putting the blame on you. 

All I’ve said from the start is that the majority of what people complain about is situational/opinion. So then I give my situation and opinion and explain my experience. I can’t really do much more. 

If they aren’t spending money on improving their infrastructure, I agree with you there. They should. I have no clue what they spend their money on though. I do know that typically the streams I get are solid. 

1 hour ago, iGranby said:

"ESPN" - Yes. No doubt. Im willing to bet they have more people working events, equipment, etc. They've also been doing it a lot longer. Thats just kind of a fact. Not making excuses, just stating some common sense IMO. 

This is an excuse. 

56 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

This is an excuse. 

You know what, screw it lol. I’ll give you that one- call it an excuse if you like. I call it common sense, or a rational explanation. 

Edited by iGranby

14 hours ago, sansbarksdale said:

Another big match marred by technical difficulties that have been going on for years which it seems they have no interest in fixing. Then you have that absolute clown Christian Pyles take to twitter to talk rudely to people who are upset that they overpay for their garbage product. Honestly this is the product that wrestling fans deserve for accepting and supporting these guys. 

you are a ****ing clown.  wrestling coverage has come so far, be grateful.  again, you are a clown.

1 hour ago, iGranby said:

You know what, screw it lol. I’ll give you that one- call it an excuse if you like. I call it common sense, or a rational explanation. 

It's not about semantics and more about realizing there are few logical reasons to defend Flo. As a production company, they produce a product that is worse than all of their competitors (Fox Sports, ESPN, NBC Sports, etc.). But because they started out as a wrestling company, we feel like we owe them the benefit of the doubt and are trying to convince ourselves that they are somehow good. 

For a while, Brute made wrestling shoes. They were a wrestling only company and sponsored many events. Unfortunately, their shoes were trash. Should we have continued to buy their shoes just because they are a wrestling company? No. Because there are personalities attached to Flo, we see them as the good guys. They aren't. They charge a premium for a bad product. 

man, there's a lot of fans on this board biting the hands that feeds. FLO is all we got, I'm sure you know that. ESPN does not give a dang about wrestling, they never did. At least BTN provides some matches, Track is ok too, but no one comes close to FLO, and you guys know it. Got a complaint? Pick up the phone and call FLOsports. They dont answer but they do call back. This has been my experience and its the only way to affect change. The more issues you guys raise the more opportunity they get to make things better. Bashing them on here is worthless, especially since its falling on deaf ears. PICK UP THE PHONE AND VOICE YOUR CONCERNS, they just might listen!

Edited by Marcus Cisero

Post-college I switched to 5Ks and later marathons, so I have two subscriptions to FloTrack and FloWrestling. FloTrack is just as crappy at every event, and the worst part is I have to pay for multiple memberships rather than a more-for-less fee. Flo as a whole is an amazing idea - by the athlete, for the athlete, pick your sport. The problem is they need to bring in people who also have a strong business and legal acumen - I have a feeling they get pushed around in the meeting room and they need to realize they aren't facing Zain Retherford or Jordan Burroughs, they are running into [insert 7th place NCAA finisher here]. The B1G contracts and their regulatory affairs are tough but if you can offer to increase their value by $2-8MM per annum then perhaps it is time to grow some teeth and go to the white board/ red line war room, and not be scared of the person who barely graduated from law school or B school, and thus B1G was their best job offer. Take them down.

7 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

It's not about semantics and more about realizing there are few logical reasons to defend Flo. As a production company, they produce a product that is worse than all of their competitors (Fox Sports, ESPN, NBC Sports, etc.). But because they started out as a wrestling company, we feel like we owe them the benefit of the doubt and are trying to convince ourselves that they are somehow good. 

For a while, Brute made wrestling shoes. They were a wrestling only company and sponsored many events. Unfortunately, their shoes were trash. Should we have continued to buy their shoes just because they are a wrestling company? No. Because there are personalities attached to Flo, we see them as the good guys. They aren't. They charge a premium for a bad product. 

Do you really see Fox Sports, ESPN, and NBC Sports as their competitors? I don't. Those companies aren't fighting for market share. With brute you could buy better shoes from another company. With Flo what are you going to do? They are doing much better than nothing. You can beg and complain to ESPN all you want but they aren't going to step into a sport where they make small margins just because you want them to. Flo is a small company working to create something from nothing and I applaud them for it.

Edited by russelscout

the only wrestling event ESPN produces (to my knowledge, happy to be corrected) is the NCAA Championship. All the dual meets and tournaments they host on ESPN+ or WatchESPN are produced by the schools at their cost. ESPN then takes the finished product and host it on their platforms.

Flo actually produces some events on our own (duals for UNI, SDSU, etc + tournaments like CKLV, Scuffle, etc), but for others we also take the finished product and host it on our platforms (Big Ten, OK State, etc). 

ESPN could easily buy the media rights to any wrestling event they want. in fact they could easily buy FloSports if they wanted to. but they don't appear to have any appetite taking on the costs to also produce (and market, promote, and provide context and content for the events). and if ESPN does decide to start doing more wrestling content and promotion, great! that's good for the sport and good for FloWrestling! because while Flo is running a business, it is also very much interested in growing the sport, because that's good for business!

I think we're doing a pretty good job, but going to why requires a much lengthier discussion and these rankings aren't going to do themselves. appreciate everyone saying nice things about Flo and appreciate the criticisms as well. even if you think Flo totally sucks, as long as you like wrestling, we're going to agree on quite a lot!

oh and for real, send any and all feedback to support@flosports.tv. every email generates a ticket and our customer support team goes through each and every one of them. there are thousands from last weekend alone, and we read em all, so keep em coming! also Cyon heads up that department and Cyon stole my blogging seat in Gallagher-Iba so please, load him up with tickets!

I think some of you lack perspective.  Live streaming is clearly very difficult- I recall recently a major event where Track caught hell because their live streaming wasn't working well.  Do any of you recall, going way back, the dreaded livesportsvideo.com?   Their streaming literally NEVER worked.  Flo is flawless compared to them.

All in all, it's a lot of content for $150, even if I have to go back and watch after the fact sometimes.  Some of their personalities can be a little grating at times...easy fix, turn the volume off and continue watching.

Flo has improved tremendously over the past few years.  But I do at least understand some of the criticism.  I'm still not sure why they don't offer a wider variety of pricing/membership options; especially if the streaming capacity issues are less of a concern.  $150/year is certainly economical but some potential users are budget constrained while others may not view sufficient content to justify purchasing an annual membership.  Why not offer the $30/month memberships for casual fans?  I'd think that would more than offset the liquidity concerns or cash flow problems it may present.  

5 hours ago, ptz305 said:

I just don’t agree at all. Other than the fact that brute shoes are/were trash. To me it looks like you searched/ are searching for negatives. The ones you've found are more based on opinion than anything else. 

Ill keep. subscribing to what I find to be a great product, and I’ll keel recommending it to people. I’ve had little to no issue with it, and until something better comes around it’ll likely stay that way. Sorry that bugs you so much. 

Edited by iGranby

Overall, I'm a huge Flo fan. They provide the best wrestling content out there, no doubt about it. However, my patience is wearing thin with the streams. They've got to start figuring that out.

Also, Pyles should knock it off on twitter. I really like him and I think he's a solid wrestling mind, but people had every right to be upset about the stream issues, especially given the history of such issues in the past. Going full heel mode on twitter was not a good look. It made him and the rest of flo look like spoiled brats who don't like getting criticized. 

Side-note: Nomad needs an ego check. I used to really like his analysis and thought he was a valuable asset, but this past season he has come off so arrogant to me. Maybe, it's just me. The smug confidence that he's offered such takes as "Wick just needs to shoot to beat Marinelli" as if Wick hadn't considered trying to take Marinelli down is just cringey. 

Pyles and Nomad have let Flo's success get to their head and it's sad and embarrassing for them.

Christian posts about his kid and setting a good example but then treats customers like **** when they complain. Great example, bro. 

Edited by wrestlingphish

1 hour ago, wrestlingphish said:

Pyles and Nomad have let Flo's success get to their head and it's sad and embarrassing for them.

Christian posts about his kid and setting a good example but then treats customers like **** when they complain. Great example, bro. 

I think part of it is that the content guys get all the grief online from the fans when streams crash when that's not their actual job, and I doubt they have much control over it. Still, that was such a bad look for Pyles and I really like him. What point was he trying to prove? Just weird.

42 minutes ago, Crash said:

Flo's main mission is to ruin broadcasts of elite wrestling.

Worst thing to happen to the sport since the illegal fist to the back. 

Just curious, how did you watch wrestling say back in the 90s?

For a hard core wrestling junkie like myself, Flo is a godsend.  Willie should keep his dmbss politics to himself but otherwise they do a terrific job in terms of content and features.  If you can't spend 20/month on something you love, you need to get a better job.  And I've got a daughter in college which ain't cheap.  Long live Mike Mal.  His behind the dirt vids are awesome.  

17 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

If you can't spend 20/month on something you love, you need to get a better job.

I hate stupid statements like this.  $150 to watch some wrestling on-line isn't exactly cheap, and there are some fans who can't afford that.  Your solution, get a better job.  Just dumb.