Jump to content
sansbarksdale

FLOwrestling is an absolute disgrace

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, LordNelson said:

I can't believe how many people in this thread not only hate Flo, but hate America.  It's a product, and a cheap one at that.  150/year and you claim you have passion for the sport?  When I cut cable it was over 200 a bill per month with no pay channels beyond the sports package that was 8.99.

Flo has done more for Wrestling in the past 10 years than any other factor in our sport.  To not believe is to live in complete isolation.

I can't believe you'd advocate for ESPN when they literally refuse to show wrestling on their main networks (business decision because no one watches it numbers wise), but then steps in to buy out and air NCAA's and you have no issue with that?

 

 

The structure and funding of collegiate sports and college wrestling specifically is generally antithetical to what many describe as "American" so that is a weird argument to invoke here.

In fact, I'd be pretty interested to here Jim Jordan try and publicly reconcile it with some of his other views.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be the dumbest controversy yet - and that is saying a lot. 

Are we suggesting that Okie State should forego dollars in the hope that a benevolent billion dollar corporation wants to grow wrestling?  

If ESPN wanted the dual they could have reached out to Flo and made an offer.   As could have Fox, etc.   They had no interest.  Perhaps if they had, then Flo could have considered trading the rights for cash and a kicker of goodwill towards wrestling.  The offer didn't come from what we are hearing. 

WRT Craig Sesker - If you are a Wrestling journalist and you do not have FloWrestling, then you aren't really investing in your career.  If a friend had to tell you Lee got pinned - then you aren't really paying attention to the 1,000 free tweets that sent out the clarion call.  My guess is it was Iowa getting  bitch-slapped that really ruined his day. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TFBJR said:

This may be the dumbest controversy yet - and that is saying a lot. 

Are we suggesting that Okie State should forego dollars in the hope that a benevolent billion dollar corporation wants to grow wrestling?  

If ESPN wanted the dual they could have reached out to Flo and made an offer.   As could have Fox, etc.   They had no interest.  Perhaps if they had, then Flo could have considered trading the rights for cash and a kicker of goodwill towards wrestling.  The offer didn't come from what we are hearing. 

WRT Craig Sesker - If you are a Wrestling journalist and you do not have FloWrestling, then you aren't really investing in your career.  If a friend had to tell you Lee got pinned - then you aren't really paying attention to the 1,000 free tweets that sent out the clarion call.  My guess is it was Iowa getting  bitch-slapped that really ruined his day. 

 

Intermat and their writers have absolutely ZERO right to criticize.  They charge for a PLATINUM Service that "grows" the sport.

They are all but dead Sesker's article makes it even more obvious.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lurshy92 said:

there are so much worse things people can be doing with 150/year such as:

  • I can be smoking a pack a cigarettes a day for $10
  • A night out on the town
  • buying juul pods for $20
  • donating to trump campaigns

$12 a month is so cheap for such solid content for a sport that people love, reading people complain is priceless.  

Just for this post I'm going to donate 93 Trillion to the Green New Deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

I hate stupid statements like this.  $150 to watch some wrestling on-line isn't exactly cheap, and there are some fans who can't afford that.  Your solution, get a better job.  Just dumb.

Sorry.  You're right.  My comment was that it was 20/month.  But it's 150 for the year which is 12 and change per month.  I stand corrected.  

12/month is not a lot of money if you love wrestling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, russelscout said:

We like to complain about Flo around here.

Constructive criticism. Not complaining.

 

43 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Bite the hand that feeds you type of thing.

Huh?

 

44 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

Intermat and their writers have absolutely ZERO right to criticize.  They charge for a PLATINUM Service that "grows" the sport.

Holy smokes. It's fine to put content behind paywall. It's understandable for Flo and for real journalism outlets to put content behind paywall. However Flo's model sucks.

Flo has yearlong lock-in. Flo has history of godawful customer service. Flo has boorish personnel -- folks who resort to sarcasm or other defiance rather than just improving!

You think those things work well to "grow the sport"?! Some of those things may well turn away diehards (not just casual fans). Flo can get more subscribers -- if only it would just make fewer mistakes.

Flo personnel defend status quo, talk about red herrings such as The American Way (lol) and ESPN being nonfree and Flo churning out myriad "articles". Flo proponents talk about good content, good catalog. Flo detractors talk about reliability, professionalism, and pricing. Everyone's talking past one another.

Flo may well be the best option right now. But still Flo can do much better!

 

Edited by jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with flo isn’t the price. It’s the unreliability of their streams. When something goes wrong, it doesn’t matter if it’s the fault of the server or camera-people pay them for their streams and they have a long history of failing. 

It’s easy to say they don’t have the resources of ESPN or BTN, but if they want to compete, they need to deliver reliable streaming video. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flo's content outweighs your criticism.

Their rankings are better.

Their delivery of results is better.

Their video content is ridiculous.

Their coverage of events is the best there is.

 

Edited by LordNelson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jon said:

Constructive criticism. Not complaining

Absolute disgrace? That doesn't seem constructive.

15 minutes ago, jon said:

Huh?

It's an idiom. Look it up.

 

16 minutes ago, jon said:

Holy smokes. It's fine to put content behind paywall. It's understandable for Flo and for real journalism outlets to put content behind paywall. However Flo's model sucks.

It is a streaming service first and a journalism outlet 2nd. They are currently the best we have and seem to be making improvements on both accounts.

18 minutes ago, jon said:

Flo has yearlong lock-in. Flo has history of godawful customer service. Flo has boorish personnel -- folks who resort to sarcasm or other defiance rather than just improving!

Maybe they have a pay structure that works for them and are sick of the complaining about. They are constantly attacked on this site and it gets old.

20 minutes ago, jon said:

You think those things work well to "grow the sport"?! Some of those things may well turn away diehards (not just casual fans).

You think refusing to pay and support the only company that is willing to invest in wrestling is helping the sport?

21 minutes ago, jon said:

Flo personnel defend status quo, talk about red herrings such as The American Way (lol) and ESPN being nonfree and Flo churning out myriad "articles". Flo proponents talk about good content, good catalog. Flo detractors talk about reliability, professionalism, and pricing. Everyone's talking past one another.

It may sound like diversion to talk about the American Way, but it's capitalism man. Pyles has to feed his kids and the company as a whole needs profits to grow. If you haven't seen that they have increased their output and improved their product then you aren't paying attention.

24 minutes ago, jon said:

Flo may well be the best option right now. But still Flo can do much better!

It seems like they are though, but it is a process.  Its not going to be up to jon's expectations at the snap of a finger. I am happy with the way that flo has evolved and made it easier for me to watch wrestling, but I'm also willing to pay for it. The 150 is well worth it to me. I don't expect a small company that is providing a service to me to just hand it out. You apparently you do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know of the idiom. What I don't understand is your use of it in this context. Customers feed Flo -- not vice versa.

My expectations neither authoritative nor unusual, man. I'm not the one who started this thread and every single thing I've said here has been echoed in other posts. And so your comment "it's not gonna be up to [my] expectations in the snap of a finger" is misguided...

Yearlong lock-in plus bad customer service plus boorish personnel plus streaming issues does not make for grow wrestling. Yes individual subscribers--diehards--see plenty of content but that's got nothing to do with "grow the sport".

My opinion: Flo detractors have good goals. Flo detractors want Flo to improve upon its status quo. If Flo's gonna have rights to all the good events then they ought to improve upon all the rest--reliability; professionalism; customer service; and, perhaps, pricing--so as to turn holdouts into subscribers. Why rebuke Flo detractors? Nobody's trying to take away your cherished content.

Edited by jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jon said:

I know of the idiom. What I don't understand is your use of it in this context. Customers feed Flo -- not vice versa.

Until we had flo, we had almost nothing. They provide us a service in a market no one else is willing to jump in on. That's how I view it. Semantics I guess.

15 minutes ago, jon said:

My expectations neither authoritative nor unusual, man. I'm not the one who started this thread and every single thing I've said here has been echoed in other posts. And so your comment "it's not gonna be up to [my] expectations in the snap of a finger" is misguided..

Yes, you are not unusual because you want something free. 

16 minutes ago, jon said:

Yearlong lock-in plus bad customer service plus boorish personnel plus streaming issues does not make for grow wrestling. Yes individual subscribers--diehards--do indeed see plenty of content but that's got nothing to do with "grow the sport".

You want them to go with an ad based model then? They dont get the kind of clicks to support what they have been doing. They started who's number one and flo nationals from nothing. Those things are growing the sport, are they not? I have yet to see intermat nattys or win magazine nattys. Maybe you had some bad luck with customer service but I just haven't and I'm not going to freak because they have had a few hiccups here and there. It has been improving and I have been getting more and more content every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, russelscout said:

Yes, you are not unusual because you want something free. 

You're misreading my stance (which I guess is important only to the extent that other Flo detractors share my beliefs lol). I don't want something free. For me, $150 a year is tenable. I don't mind paying $150 a year for good service. I don't think Flo service is good. Flo catalog? Yes it's good. Flo everything else -- i.e., reliability, professionalism, customer service? Room to improve!

Why rebuke Flo detractors? Nobody wants to take away cherished content.

Please let's focus this discussion not on individual forum posters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jon said:

You're misreading my stance (which I guess is important only to the extent that other Flo detractors share my beliefs lol). I don't want something free. For me, $150 a year is tenable. I don't mind paying $150 a year for good service. I don't think Flo service is good. Flo catalog? Yes it's good. Flo everything else -- i.e., reliability, professionalism, customer service? Room to improve!

Why rebuke Flo detractors? Nobody wants to take away cherished content.

Please let's focus this discussion not on individual forum posters.

List all of the streaming services that don't have any room to improve please, so we can really measure them up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LordNelson said:

Flo's content outweighs your criticism.

Their rankings are better.

Their delivery of results is better.

Their video content is ridiculous.

Their coverage of events is the best there is.

 

For people who subscribe to Flo only for the streaming video and don't care about their rankings, technique breakdowns, or "documentaries," the criticisms concerning streams not working is valid.  

 

Just because you are happy with the value you get out of your subscription overall, doesn't mean criticism should be ignored.  Flo promises to cover a specific list of events and they have often failed to deliver on those promises.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jon said:

Why rebuke Flo detractors? Nobody wants to take away cherished content.

It seems like they do. They want to more or less give things away to espn in the name of growing the sport.

5 minutes ago, jon said:

Please let's focus this discussion not on individual forum posters.

Oh, I am sorry! Was I interrupting some profound discussion? Looked like the same ole BS complaining about Flo I always see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

It seems like they do. They want to more or less give things away to espn in the name of growing the sport.

Oh, I am sorry! Was I interrupting some profound discussion? Looked like the same ole BS complaining about Flo I always see.

The #1 criticism of flo is that they fail to deliver a reliable stream.  How is that BS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

For people who subscribe to Flo only for the streaming video and don't care about their rankings, technique breakdowns, or "documentaries," the criticisms concerning streams not working is valid.  

Fair.  

I've had very few issues with streams.  Usually has to do with personal wifi or servers users have chosen based on previous message board postings. 

I joined FLO from the start because of their documentaries and ultimately their live events.  

When they went full pay for stream I didn't hesitate to get it because there was no way I was missing Dake v Taylor at the All Star Meet.  

 

I find it ridiculous when people say things like "they don't grow the sport" and then go full blue and white on PSU when they literally wrestled no duals of importance the whole year, or that Tommy refused to wrestle them.  How about the fact that the 2 biggest programs in College Wrestling have single handedly killed the National Duals?  Killed the All Star Meet?  Nothing there but FLO is really doing damage on the growth of wrestling.   All of these "grow the sport" experts have only criticisms and verbal diarrhea on those actually doing something.  

 

Don't subscribe and move on.  Pay and complain? You're worse than cable subscribers that don't realize HULU can do it for 1/4 as much.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

The #1 criticism of flo is that they fail to deliver a reliable stream.  How is that BS?

Did you think the OkieSt/Iowa interuptions were that bad that it deserves this much attention? It was barely noticeable, not really their fault (I get it, they are responsible if they put their name on it), and just not a big deal. No people were up in arms this time because it was behind a paywall and that's pretty much it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...