Katie

Iowa’s New Head Coach

2 hours ago, iGranby said:

I think Perry would step in. I'm fairly certain thats why he hopped on the RTC job. 

Would he do better, or even well? Who knows. Illinois had solid results while he was there and they trusted him enough with HWC, so I gotta think they'd be willing to give him a shot. 

Or Morningstar, I guess. I just lean someone who is both younger, and was a Hawkeye. 

I don't think it's a step in the right direction to go with someone who didn't win a Olympic gold medal and has limited freestyle credentials. They definitely won't go with Morningstar who wasn't even an NCAA champ. Perry had success recruiting a couple studs but I think there was a lack of development at Illinois. There hasn't been much improvement with at the Iowa RTC athletes either.

Honestly, there isn't many options. The ideal candidate would likely have wrestled at Iowa, have coaching experience and who had world level success.

Metcalf? He doesn't have a world medal, but that available world medal list would be short.  Dake is ivey league.  I just don't see him at Iowa.  DT would be interesting.  If they got a world medalist I think it would be JB.  Iowa would be a bigger draw for recruiting and the pay would be better.  IMO that would be the most likely big gun if they got one.  However, outside of a world medalist Metcalf seems the best choice.  He had a solid international career for awhile, he is as Iowa as there is for someone not from Iowa, and he is the traditional Iowa style. He also will have a lot of coaching experience, and his name is pretty well known.  I think what he adds different from the current Iowa guys is that he has been with Dresser for a while and has probably picked up some good thing that will balance him better than when he was at Iowa.  Personally, I think if he would have trained somewhere else for freestyle he may have hot over the hump and medaled.  Sometimes it is good to get a different look and take on things.

5 minutes ago, BHawk91 said:

It will be Cael no doubt.  He will realize the only way he can become a great coach is to finally coach at a school worth coaching at.

LOL so according to Iowa Fans, Cael's abilities as a coach is only great if he coaches at Iowa.

Just like if Teasdale comes to Iowa hes a great kid, if he wrestles anywhere else hes horrible.

I gotta hand it to you, at least you're consistent.

8 hours ago, scramble said:

Metcalf? He doesn't have a world medal, but that available world medal list would be short.  Dake is ivey league.  I just don't see him at Iowa.  DT would be interesting.  If they got a world medalist I think it would be JB.  Iowa would be a bigger draw for recruiting and the pay would be better.  IMO that would be the most likely big gun if they got one.  However, outside of a world medalist Metcalf seems the best choice.  He had a solid international career for awhile, he is as Iowa as there is for someone not from Iowa, and he is the traditional Iowa style. He also will have a lot of coaching experience, and his name is pretty well known.  I think what he adds different from the current Iowa guys is that he has been with Dresser for a while and has probably picked up some good thing that will balance him better than when he was at Iowa.  Personally, I think if he would have trained somewhere else for freestyle he may have hot over the hump and medaled.  Sometimes it is good to get a different look and take on things.

When Metcalf was coaching at Iowa it was ying, ying, and ying with no yang. At this point, Iowa's best move is to swap Terry and Mark's positions and groom Perry to take over. Plan B would be go big with Dake, DT, or JB. Of these three, I'd wager Dake would be the best coach. 

9 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

LOL so according to Iowa Fans, Cael's abilities as a coach is only great if he coaches at Iowa.

Just like if Teasdale comes to Iowa hes a great kid, if he wrestles anywhere else hes horrible.

I gotta hand it to you, at least you're consistent.

Oh calm down there BigTen!!  It was just a sarcastic joke to get your panties all bunched up.  It is no more crazy thinking as some of the other post about DeSanto becoming our coach and wrestler.  They are clearly both just jokes. Calm down there big guy!

Also, show me one post where Iowa fans think Teasdale is or isn’t a great kid or he is horrible if he doesn’t wrestle at Iowa.  Do you have any links that proves this?

I don’t think Brands is going anywhere anytime soon.  He still has at least 2 years before he is even on the hot seat.  The title is going to be as open as it has been in awhile next year so if he can manage to win it all then this conversation means nothing.

18 minutes ago, BHawk91 said:

Oh calm down there BigTen!!  It was just a sarcastic joke to get your panties all bunched up.  It is no more crazy thinking as some of the other post about DeSanto becoming our coach and wrestler.  They are clearly both just jokes. Calm down there big guy!

Also, show me one post where Iowa fans think Teasdale is or isn’t a great kid or he is horrible if he doesn’t wrestle at Iowa.  Do you have any links that proves this?

I don’t think Brands is going anywhere anytime soon.  He still has at least 2 years before he is even on the hot seat.  The title is going to be as open as it has been in awhile next year so if he can manage to win it all then this conversation means nothing.

My "panties" were not in a twist. I was actually LAUGHING OUT LOUD AT YOU.

Go look at the HawkeyeReport. They were trashing the kid calling him a drug addict.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

6 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

Trump - (MIGA) Make Iowa Great Again. Build a wall around Iowa to keep undocumented recruiters out.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

HAHA, we don't have the instate talent that would bring recruiters in!!

7 hours ago, headache said:

When Metcalf was coaching at Iowa it was ying, ying, and ying with no yang. At this point, Iowa's best move is to swap Terry and Mark's positions and groom Perry to take over. Plan B would be go big with Dake, DT, or JB. Of these three, I'd wager Dake would be the best coach. 

I agree on Make.  I guess I just feel he would stay East.  (ie. Cornell, Lehigh, Maryland).  I do agree though that as a coach I would take him if the choice was there. 

There's no way you fire the Brands and put Perry in.  Unproven HC and a guy who has shown quality as an assistant taking over that program doesn't make sense to me.  If they went off the rails for Dake/Taylor or Snyder type guy banking on the recruiting and hoping the development pans out, that would serve a better chance of not making a move that could go backwards.

Well, I doubt that the Brands Bros. are going anywhere for the foreseeable future. Especially if the God father of Iowa wrestling ( Dan Gable ), still gives them his blessing. As far as getting a Cael, a Ryan, a Dresser, or someone of that stature, I don't think that is realistic. As it has been pointed out on other posts, the majority high school talent is on the eastern half of the Midwest now. Additionally big donor money is being put into places like PSU, and OSU, (in fact OSU just built a massive new state of the art facility). Anyway, going back to Cael for a second he was already in Iowa, coaching the Cyclones, but he made the decision to go east a number of years ago, so it might be he saw the writing on the wall back then, but besides that I doubt he would go back to the state of Iowa. 

As far as the young talented guys we have that could become head coaches, ( Dake, Taylor, Burroughs, Snyder, and some others), I don't think we even see these guys until after they hang up their wrestling shoes, and for some of them, I think that won't happen until after the 2020 Olympics. As far as other guys like Metcalf, Varner, and some others, I think that they would probably have to run a program of their own for a few years, before someone would be confident enough to give them the keys to Carver-Hawkeye. 

There is one guy I think could slide in there and that is Billy Zadick. 

Maybe get some decent assistant coaches?  Morningstar and Telford?  Is that 3 All Americans combined?  This is the best of the Brands years to help out or the one only ones that can put up with them?

I know a National Championship is all that matters to the Hawk Fans  but during the Cael Years at Penn State either Iowa or Ohio State has scored the second and third most points at the NCAA's.  That's not bad coaching at Iowa. Maybe the Administration is happy that stands are packed and TnT bring passion and intensity to the program. 

I echo the "Brands isn't going anywhere" crowd.  I think the admin were still in Gable-shock when they let Zalesky go, and they won't make that mistake again.  Brands is as Iowa as they come, and his results and program''s popularity are more than sufficient to keep admin from making a rash move.

The one caveat is that Brands has had some off the mat issues to say the least.  One more coach caught poaching, wrestler shooting himself, or most likely in today's environment, some scandal of a sexual nature, and the admin's hands will be tied.  Who can predict that?

I'd say the most likely replacement for Brands is Spencer Lee, in about 10-15 years or so.