Jimmy Cinnabon

197er bumping up and displacing the HWT

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

It's pretty amazing that a 0x NCAA qualifier 197er like Cassar was able to bump up to heavyweight and displace a 2x AA HWT in Nevills from the starting lineup.

Has something like this happened before?  I suppose it could have happened with Snyder.

Snyder displaced Thomas Haines.

Cassar is not your typical 0X qualifier. the summer after redshirting as a true freshman he made the junior world team and was winning in the quarterfinals before getting injured. he didn't wrestle a match in college for two years after then sat out the postseason in favor of Shakur Rasheed his junior year. woulda coulda shoulda but it's not like he came from out of nowhere this year. 

still an interesting story and displacing a two-time all-american doesn't happen often, although it's looking like it'll happen at OK State this year as well. 

9 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Cassar is not your typical 0X qualifier. the summer after redshirting as a true freshman he made the junior world team and was winning in the quarterfinals before getting injured. he didn't wrestle a match in college for two years after then sat out the postseason in favor of Shakur Rasheed his junior year. woulda coulda shoulda but it's not like he came from out of nowhere this year. 

still an interesting story and displacing a two-time all-american doesn't happen often, although it's looking like it'll happen at OK State this year as well. 

Who are at Ok St are you referring to?

doesn't sound like anything is decided yet but looks like Jacobe and Joseph Smith are moving down to 165 and 174, which would leave two-time AA and one-time R12 Chandler Rogers the odd man out. Rogers could beat one of them out, but then it's two-time AA Joe Smith or two-time JuCo champ and one-time AA Jacobe Smith on the bench. 

It's also wild to think Fix, Gfeller and a healthy Boo Lewallen could have forced a two-time AA in Kaid Brock to the bench. but there's a lot more speculation in that one. 

8 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

this would be news to me. John mentioned Joseph was sick and thats why he didn't wrestle on Sunday but never said he was out for the post season, to my knowledge anyway. 

I probably read too much into this: 

I guess it might just be that he's not eligible to be ranked at 165 for the Coaches ranking.  

Edited by ThorsteinV

41 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

this would be news to me. John mentioned Joseph was sick and thats why he didn't wrestle on Sunday but never said he was out for the post season, to my knowledge anyway. 

He mentioned he was sick and wouldn't know who was wrestling for about 10 days (Pac12), but later in the interview he did say Jacoby Smith weighed in light against Iowa, and would be the 174 pounder/post season ??????

1 hour ago, justafan said:

Chandler will allocate a spot and Joe won't.No sense in listing Joe he won't allocate anyway.If Joe wins the spot then the Big 12 will lose a allocation at 165.

The Big 12 loses the allocation the minute that Chandler Rogers doesn't weigh-in.

53 minutes ago, justafan said:

Shomers can't make 157

Yes he can-he is working towards it now.  Couldn't hold it for the whole season & team needed him at 65 so he went up but still hoping to be there for Big 12s

I understand that my point is  Chandler was the only one to list that made any sense.If they listed Joe and went with Chandler they don't get the spot back for Chandler so listing him was the only smart choice

Edited by justafan

2 hours ago, ThorsteinV said:

I probably read too much into this: 

I guess it might just be that he's not eligible to be ranked at 165 for the Coaches ranking.  

ah gotcha. yeah Smith would kind of have to list Rogers, as he'd qualify the spot and Joseph wouldn't, but then still have a wrestle off or somehow determine would the actual starter was. but you'd want to list Rogers now no matter who would win the wrestle off later. 

that would also be a point in favor of Rogers when considering who to send out there for Big 12s. guess we will all find out soon enough. 

While not at HWT and not a 2xAA but James English did something similar at PSU and in his only shot at the NCAA Championships he made the podium. It's a story that really epitomizes what this sport is about. 

While not at HWT and not a 2xAA but James English did something similar at PSU and in his only shot at the NCAA Championships he made the podium. It's a story that really epitomizes what this sport is about. 

The thread is about guys who bumped up and knocked returning AAs out of the lineup.  While English's story is nice, how does it qualify for this thread??? He did not bump up a weight (in fact, English was the starter for the season opener) and the other guys at 149 for PSU (A. Alton & Z. Beitz) were not AAs.  

What is that similar to?

While I can recall a bunch of 197 pounders who had much greater success after they moved up to HWT, it's hard to think of one who actually displaced an AA.  Pretty rare aside from the two examples mentioned so far (Banach and Cassar).

7 hours ago, lu_alum said:

The thread is about guys who bumped up and knocked returning AAs out of the lineup.  While English's story is nice, how does it qualify for this thread??? He did not bump up a weight (in fact, English was the starter for the season opener) and the other guys at 149 for PSU (A. Alton & Z. Beitz) were not AAs.  

What is that similar to?

First of all this is the internet and I as a poster get to declare something similar in any manner I choose. It is unwritten internet rule #4,197. 

A career non -starter who in his senior year took the starting spot and became an AA in his only attempt. That's the similarity by my declaration using rule #4,197.