Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Pinned through NCAAs

32 minutes ago, Bilchuk said:

AJ Shopp Edinboro 2015-- pinned his way back through consolation round for 3rd place after being upset in the first round.  Got the most Pins award too.

Pretty sure he had some non pin wins in there

4 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

If you want a list of dudes who got decked twice at the toughest folkstyle tournament in the world, you're going to need a bigger forum.

Isn’t the toughest folk style tournament in the world exactly the same as toughest folk style tournament in the country?

2 hours ago, Bilchuk said:

AJ Shopp Edinboro 2015-- pinned his way back through consolation round for 3rd place after being upset in the first round.  Got the most Pins award too.

1 hour ago, KTG119 said:

Pretty sure he had some non pin wins in there

Three of this seven consolation bouts were decisions: 

Geoff Alexander, Maryland (2-1) in his 1st consolation bout

Rossi Bruno, Michigan (7-2) in the consolation round of 8.

Chris Dardanes, Minnesota (4-3) in the 3/4 bout

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/pdf/brackets/NCAA2015.pdf

Most recently, Taylor was very close his sophomore year:  4 pins and a tech in the final.  He was thoroughly dominating Hatchett in the finals and, given time, would have likely pinned him:

2012 3/15/2012 165 Corey Lear (Bucknell) WBF 1:40 28-0
2012 3/15/2012 165 Brandon Wright (Chattanooga) WBF 1:52 29-0
2012 3/16/2012 165 #8 Robert Kokesh (Nebraska) WBF 0:30 30-0
2012 3/16/2012 165 #4 Bekzod Abdurakhmo (Clarion) WBF 4:44 31-0
2012 3/17/2012 165 #11 Brandon Hatchett (Lehigh) WTF 22-7 32-0

During his junior year, of course, he lost to Dake in the finals, but had pinned his way to that point, however:

2013 3/21/2013 165 John Staudenmayer (North Carolina) WBF 2:52 27-1
2013 3/21/2013 165 Zachary Strickland (Appalachian State) WBF 2:42 28-1
2013 3/22/2013 165 #7 Conrad Polz (Illinois) WBF 0:24 29-1
2013 3/22/2013 165 #3 Peter Yates (Virginia Tech) WBF 3:25 30-1
2013 3/23/2013 165 #1 Kyle Dake (Cornell) L 5-4 30-2

19 hours ago, Bodyd said:

Bruce Kinseth pinned his way through the Big 10 an NCAA's....did some research on him too ...very interesting.....only person to do it....conference, then NCAA's ....credits Gable with all their workouts AFTER practice and more.  

Bruce Kinseth was NCAA champion at 150 pounds in 1979 for the University of Iowa, and was a two-time All-American. He was Midlands and Big Ten champion, as well. His senior year, he pinned his way through the Big Ten and NCAA tournament, the only athlete ever to do so.  (National Wrestling Hall of Fame)

Bruce Kinseth orchestrated one of the most impressive postseason runs in college wrestling history.

In the biggest meets against the highest caliber of competition, the University of Iowa grappler provided Hawkeye fans with one of the most memorable performances, pinning his way to the 150-pound NCAA Championship in 1979 at Ames.

He also pinned his way through the Big Ten tournament, making Kinseth the only wrestler to accomplish the feat.

“Everything has to fall together to pin everybody,” Kinseth said. “It’s kind of a tough deal, but I was on a roll and my confidence was very high. I was very focused.”

Kinseth’s two fastest falls came in the semifinals and finals. He stuck Oklahoma State’s fourth-seed Charles Shelton in 1:51. The top-seeded Kinseth secured the title with a pin over Oregon State’s No. 3 Dick Knorr in 2:34.

“When I did pin him in the finals it was a hell of a highlight frankly to cap that hot streak of falls,” said Kinseth, who was the first to since Dan Gable in 1969 to pin each national tournament opponent.

Kinseth wore opponents down with constant pressure. He closed the season in the same way he opened it, pinning 11 straight foes. He set a Hawkeye single-season record with 23 pins.

Strong on top, but Kinseth added a move to his repertoire as a senior. He said he used for falls in his final two matches.

“I did bearhug a lot of people that year,” said Kinseth, a two-time NCAA finalist. “That was probably more of a signature move I would get into a fair amount of the time and pinned a lot of guys with it, in addition to being pretty good on top and utilizing a lot of bar arms.”

The feat was achieved by more than just moves. Kinseth said he put in as much time on the mat as anyone. He credited legendary Hawkeye coach Dan Gable. The two would work out together for hours after practice, causing Kinseth to need an hour to recover. It helped him prepare for the national meet and boosted his confidence.

“I trained very hard,” Kinseth said. “I was in very very good physical condition.

“I had the opportunity to wrestle with Gable every day for multiple years. That’s probably what made a difference.”

Many fans cheered the former Decorah state champion on, including family and former coaches.

“I had the force behind me so to speak,” Kinseth said. “Not just University of Iowa fans, but people that were in and around the sport of wrestling in the state of Iowa.”

More than 30 years removed, Kinseth can look back and acknowledge the impressiveness of the performance.

“It comes and goes so fast in your life you have to reflect on it and say it was a great accomplishment,” Kinseth said. “It was a lot of fun. I think about it periodically.”

K.J. Pilcher

The Gazette

1979 Coach Dan Gable’s first undefeated and untied (19‑0‑0) team included NCAA champs Bruce Kinseth and Randy Lewis. Kinseth, who had a school‑record 23 pins, was named Outstanding Wrestler at the NCAA Meet. He pinned all four opponents at Big Tens and all five at nationals.  (Iowa Media Guide)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdUu5OEsJE

19 hours ago, Bodyd said:

Kinseth was a huge 150 pounder.  I always wondered how him or Churella could get down to 150 and be so effective.  Just 3 years after winning 150 at NCAAs Kinseth won the senior freestyle championship at 180 lbs.

According to wrestlestats.com Dan Hodge pinned through in 1956. He pinned every opponent in the Conference meet in 1955, 56, and 57. He has two bouts go the distance during those same seasons in those NCAA Tournaments (one in 1955 and the other in 1957).