silvermedal

Why Are We Talking About Lee but not Valencia?

I think both have the same problem.  They have already accomplished all their goals and may simply be tired of the college grind.  Lee has been training like a madman since he was a kid.  Valencia dominated his weight last season and then made the WTT finals.  Isn't it possible that both just lack motivation and have not been as impressive this season as a result?  

I think when you are as good as these guys really are, they really only get it up for the big one.

BUT, trends indicate that what we see in the regular season tends to play out at NCAA's recently.

There hasn't been a JJaggers type guy with multiple blemishes "show up" at NCAA's and whoop the field in some years. 

28 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

I think both have the same problem.  They have already accomplished all their goals and may simply be tired of the college grind.  Lee has been training like a madman since he was a kid.  Valencia dominated his weight last season and then made the WTT finals.  Isn't it possible that both just lack motivation and have not been as impressive this season as a result?  

Their respective losses this year are a bit similar as well. 

39 minutes ago, jchapman said:

We aren't talking about Valencia because TBar/BTFB/Cinnabon don't hate ASU as much as they hate Iowa.

This although I don’t know about Cinnabon in that regard....yet 

38 minutes ago, jchapman said:

We aren't talking about Valencia because TBar/BTFB/Cinnabon don't hate ASU as much as they hate Iowa.

Not that Flo hates Iowa but they don’t talk about it as much either. Flo is a huge reason why Lee is the most scrutinized wrestler of all time.

This is a very interesting point you make.

Personally I think most felt coming into the year Hall was on Valencia’s level and was kind of a pickem with an edge to Zahid.

There was no one thought to be on Spencer’s level.

As far as Zahid getting pinned by Lewis, you are correct that it kind of flew under the radar. That being said Lewis can snap that cradle on anyone as he’s a hammer in top.

I think the main difference is 174 you have 2 national champs and some other real good guys (Lewis, Amine) and everyone knew that coming in.

I remember preseason many including me thought Spencer would be Nolf like this year at what many perceived a weak weight with Suriano and Fix going up. That’s why the surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Dont hate Iowa. Just cant stand Tommy B or a large subsec of Iowas fanbase. Theres a difference. Corey Clark and Sammy Brooks! Those are 2 of my guys!

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Valencia got caught and pinned in a match he was winning by a guy who gave him his closest match at NCAAs last year. Not all that shocking if you really think about it.

Valencia controlled Mark Hall in last year's NCAA finals, kicked the crap out of Alex Dieringer and gave Dake a respectable pair of matches in the WTT finals.  It is shocking when you consider how good he was less than a year ago.  

1 minute ago, silvermedal said:

Valencia controlled Mark Hall in last year's NCAA finals, kicked the crap out of Alex Dieringer and gave Dake a respectable pair of matches in the WTT finals.  It is shocking when you consider how good he was less than a year ago.  

Outside of hall, everything else was in freestyle, which highlight Zahids strenghts. Lewis is dangerous on top, thats been known for years.

12 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Maybe Hall and Lewis improved as well? Seems to be a foreign concept around these boards.

4 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Maybe Hall and Lewis improved as well? Seems to be a foreign concept around these boards.

They probably have improved, but when he is talking about Valencia beating dieringer, and battling dake, those are world level guys. So yes, in that sense it would be shocking. But this is folkstyle, its different. 

I think it just proves how tough DI wrestling is, and how hard it is to dominate.  There is a reason there have been so few that have dominated and its because of the parity of college wrestling.  We often get caught up in a kids accomplishments and think that is will always carry over to the next level.  Maybe guys are figuring out the Lee's and Valencia's but I wouldn't count any of them out come NCAA.

2 hours ago, silvermedal said:

You started a thread and now we are talking about Valencia. The internet works!

I thought Z was going to go unbeaten this year or at worst have a 1 point loss to Hall. Hasn't worked out that way, but he can win NCAA's by just turning it on. I have him facing Hall in the final.

Although from different position, Ironic that both Z and Lee got pinned on the same cradle.