silvermedal

Why Are We Talking About Lee but not Valencia?

1 minute ago, jchapman said:

How many Hawkeye fans are on this board and HR? IS that a large subsection of their fanbase?

I think most are just on HR. I post over there, but I prefer to be over here most of the time because I like to step out of the echo chamber. 

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

Yea, just goes to show their lack of creativity and inability to actually think things up for themselves. 

Funny story, a couple years ago I was walking home from the Iowa/PSU football game with a couple older PSU fans. The conversation shifted to wrestling and their response was, “Yeah, that Carl Sanderson has a really good thing going right now.”

Just now, Mpchillin said:

Funny story, a couple years ago I was walking home from the Iowa/PSU football game with a couple older PSU fans. The conversation shifted to wrestling and their response was, “Yeah, that Carl Sanderson has a really good thing going right now.”

Common mistake. Carl is a far more common name than Cael.

26 minutes ago, Mpchillin said:

@BigTenFanboyCan we get a ruling on whether this is indeed a "funny" story?  

14 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

You started a thread and now we are talking about Valencia. The internet works!

I thought Z was going to go unbeaten this year or at worst have a 1 point loss to Hall. Hasn't worked out that way, but he can win NCAA's by just turning it on. I have him facing Hall in the final.

Although from different position, Ironic that both Z and Lee got pinned on the same cradle.

Coincidental, but not ironic.

2 hours ago, Chrissn2001 said:

Why does the word "caught" get some people so upset?  I assume it's because people think it's a way to say the lesser wrestler did the catching?  For guys that claim this sport is soooo tough, I've never seen such a sensitive group the last couple of days.  

I've thought this several times about this board.

13 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Just follow my likes. There's an emoji with a laugh. 

Overruled. Kind of ironic that the reason you hate Iowa fans is because a few use Carl, while some of your own PSU brethren don’t even know that’s not his name.

25 minutes ago, Mpchillin said:

Overruled. Kind of ironic that the reason you hate Iowa fans is because a few use Carl, while some of your own PSU brethren don’t even know that’s not his name.

Hardly. You quoted an older PSU couple that probably doesn't follow the sport. Were they calling him Carl to disrespect or mock him? No. Does he get called Carl on these board in an attempt to mock him? Yes.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I have made this point before ... it’s amazing how many great wrestlers have inglorious pins on their records. Going back to the early 80s Dave Schultz (1981) and Bruce Baumgartner (1980 and 1981!) were pinned in the NCAA finals. They both won NCAAs in 1982. Schultz won worlds in 1983, Bruce took bronze in the 1983 worlds and both took a gold in 1984.  In 1986 Rico Chiapperelli was pinned in the 3rd-4th match of NCAAs and then won in 1987. In 1987 Brad Penrith was pinned in NCAA finals. Kevin Randellman pinned in the 1991 NCAA finals (wins in 1992 by fall in the finals). Mark Branch pinned in 1996 NCAA finals and wins in 1997. Then a good decade and a half followed by David Taylor pinned in 2011 finals. Then 2015 Snyder pinned in the finals. Then Martinez pinned by Joseph (2017) and Martin pinned by Nickal (2018).

Also 1978 Kinseth was pinned in the finals and won in 1979.

So we have at least four world and/or Olympic champs pinned in the finals. And a dozen NCAA champs (I didn’t count) pinned in the finals. This is just reviewing NCAA championships, and in all cases but one, the finals. I imagine there are many more stories of greats getting pinned during the regular season. 

38 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Hardly. You quoted an older PSU couple that probably doesn't follow the sport. Were they calling him Carl to disrespect or mock him? No. Does he get called Carl on these board in an attempt to mock him? Yes.

Who's mocking Carl?

The Carl comments arent mocking Cael. They are used to get under your skin. 

Same consept as you said the mono jokes weren't a joke about Lee's potential illness.

Seems petty not to like a fanbase over something like that but ok.

2 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

I have made this point before ... it’s amazing how many great wrestlers have inglorious pins on their records.

In 1987 Brad Penrith was pinned in NCAA finals.  

with a spladle!

6 hours ago, Chrissn2001 said:

Why does the word "caught" get some people so upset?  I assume it's because people think it's a way to say the lesser wrestler did the catching?  For guys that claim this sport is soooo tough, I've never seen such a sensitive group the last couple of days.  

lol....... so you have only been coming here a couple days?

4 hours ago, Molsen said:

The Carl comments arent mocking Cael. They are used to get under your skin. 

Same consept as you said the mono jokes weren't a joke about Lee's potential illness.

Seems petty not to like a fanbase over something like that but ok.

I agree, but hence our jokes. Goes both ways which I am perfectly fine with.