Sign in to follow this  
nom

Who would you have been most shocked to see lose?

Which wrestler would have shocked you the most if they had lost in their senior year?

Feel free to list top three but you need to post in rank order (most shocked being first).

Choices -

Askren

Zain R

Nolf

Nickal

Taylor

Buroughs

Dieringer

Do your best to go back in time and consider how you felt about the wrestler that year.  Try to ignore how things played out afterwards.

For me ... Taylor, Askren, Nickal.

1 - Askren, he had already pinned his opponent twice in the first period.

2 - Nickal, assuming his opponent is Moore, see above.

3 - Nolf/Taylor tie, neither had been threatened by anyone, but both had opponents who could keep it close and at least conceivably pull the upset. 

Well it looks like I misread the OP.  Given that, we had no knowledge that Askren would bump to take on Kish heading into the year.  The way he demolished Herbert the year before I would still say he was least likely to lose as a senior. AND even prior to the Kish bump, he had pinned his first 19 opponents in a row, 18 in the FIRST PERIOD.  I had absolutely no doubt he would beat Kish, and was 50/50 that he would pin him.

Second most likely would be Nolf, mostly because I didn't see any competition for him at this weight this year.

Third would have been Taylor, but only because he had Caldwell, who was excellent at keeping himself within striking distance, albeit a looong shot at best.

I believed at the time, and still do, that Mayes could have made it interesting if he had stayed on his feet the second period.  A couple more takedowns and he might have been able to withstand Retherford's assault from top. Going into the year, they had never met, and Mayes was so good in neutral, I thought he had a chance.

Nickal bumping up a weight provided enough of an unknown, even if as of now, it appears that was a non-factor. Same is actually true for Cael, but much less so.

Burroughs was bumping up AND returning from a serious knee injury.

Dieringer had Bo Jordan, who was a legit threat.

Edited by tigerfan

13 hours ago, nom said:

Which wrestler would have shocked you the most if they had lost in their senior year?

Feel free to list top three but you need to post in rank order (most shocked being first).

Choices -

Askren

Zain R

Nolf

Nickal

Taylor

Buroughs

Dieringer

Do your best to go back in time and consider how you felt about the wrestler that year.  Try to ignore how things played out afterwards.

For me ... Taylor, Askren, Nickal.

Uetake

On 2/27/2019 at 3:04 PM, TobusRex said:

That's crazy talk.

Gable wouldn't be an All-American today just like Babe Ruth wouldn't even hit .200 against today's pitchers. The game has evolved. Great for their time but take them off the pedestal. 

On 2/28/2019 at 11:04 PM, PSUMike said:

Gable wouldn't be an All-American today just like Babe Ruth wouldn't even hit .200 against today's pitchers. The game has evolved. Great for their time but take them off the pedestal. 

Is that why wrestlers today still want to be like John Smith and shoot the low ankle?  That technology is what...33 years old ? 

For the record, Gable would have adapted, as would have Ruth.

59 minutes ago, BadgerMon said:

Is that why wrestlers today still want to be like John Smith and shoot the low ankle?  That technology is what...33 years old ? 

For the record, Gable would have adapted, as would have Ruth.

Gable: The Punisher by Randy Lewis

It was 1972. I first heard of Dan Gable when I was in 7th grade. People told me that he was the best wrestler in the world. Nobody could beat him. At the time, I was a three-time state AAU age-group champion, and a national AAU age-group champion. My career record at the time was 60-0. I remember thinking, if I was as big as Dan Gable, I could beat him.

Nineteen years later, I would find out I was wrong. In 1991, I was thirty years old and I wrestled at 149.5 pounds, the same weight-class that Gable won the Olympics (without giving up a single point!) in 1972.

I wrestled a dual meet against the 1989 world champion Russian, Boris Budaev. I was pounding him 13-4 and ended up sticking him. One week later, I asked Gable if he wanted to wrestle. At the time Gable weighed about 160 and was 41 years old. I was up to about 163. Gable said yes but wanted to warm up a bit. I just sat there and watched him. Gable went through a 45-minute session of drilling and stretching, moving around, getting ready to tangle with yours truly.

By this time his shirt was drenched. He was ready to go to war. I warmed up in about 30 seconds. I slapped his hand and asked him if he was ready. Gable said, “go†and I jumped across the mat and threw him with what I would call a Steven Segal-type judo throw and headlock. He went right to his back.

Two seconds later, Gable scored a reversal. For the next forty-five minutes he tortured me. What he likes to do is put you on your back, bar your arm and torture you. Then he will sort of let you off your back, but he will keep the bar arm with just your shoulder down. Sort of like isometrics, only diabolical. Finally, he will let you go and when you get back on your feet, you can barely feel your right arm.

Then, he’ll take you down again and start on your left shoulder. Pain must balance. When you finally get back on your feet both shoulders are numb. Your arms are useless. Death is a fleeting moment away.

After that “workout†somebody asked me how I did against Gable. I said “Oh, he beat me about 50-5.†They said “no way.†I said “way.†Actually the score was 50-4!

I’ve spoken with hundreds of people who went one-on-one with Gable in the room and they all say the same thing. Unless you have actually wrestled him, you can not understand what it is like. I have wrestled the best in the world �" having competed against 27 world and Olympic medalists and countless others in practice. Nothing is like wrestling Dan Gable.

On 3/2/2019 at 2:14 PM, BadgerMon said:

Gable: The Punisher by Randy Lewis

It was 1972. I first heard of Dan Gable when I was in 7th grade. People told me that he was the best wrestler in the world. Nobody could beat him. At the time, I was a three-time state AAU age-group champion, and a national AAU age-group champion. My career record at the time was 60-0. I remember thinking, if I was as big as Dan Gable, I could beat him.

Nineteen years later, I would find out I was wrong. In 1991, I was thirty years old and I wrestled at 149.5 pounds, the same weight-class that Gable won the Olympics (without giving up a single point!) in 1972.

I wrestled a dual meet against the 1989 world champion Russian, Boris Budaev. I was pounding him 13-4 and ended up sticking him. One week later, I asked Gable if he wanted to wrestle. At the time Gable weighed about 160 and was 41 years old. I was up to about 163. Gable said yes but wanted to warm up a bit. I just sat there and watched him. Gable went through a 45-minute session of drilling and stretching, moving around, getting ready to tangle with yours truly.

By this time his shirt was drenched. He was ready to go to war. I warmed up in about 30 seconds. I slapped his hand and asked him if he was ready. Gable said, “go†and I jumped across the mat and threw him with what I would call a Steven Segal-type judo throw and headlock. He went right to his back.

Two seconds later, Gable scored a reversal. For the next forty-five minutes he tortured me. What he likes to do is put you on your back, bar your arm and torture you. Then he will sort of let you off your back, but he will keep the bar arm with just your shoulder down. Sort of like isometrics, only diabolical. Finally, he will let you go and when you get back on your feet, you can barely feel your right arm.

Then, he’ll take you down again and start on your left shoulder. Pain must balance. When you finally get back on your feet both shoulders are numb. Your arms are useless. Death is a fleeting moment away.

After that “workout†somebody asked me how I did against Gable. I said “Oh, he beat me about 50-5.†They said “no way.†I said “way.†Actually the score was 50-4!

I’ve spoken with hundreds of people who went one-on-one with Gable in the room and they all say the same thing. Unless you have actually wrestled him, you can not understand what it is like. I have wrestled the best in the world �" having competed against 27 world and Olympic medalists and countless others in practice. Nothing is like wrestling Dan Gable.

Crickets?

For obvious reasons, some PSU fans would like to diminish the accomplishments/legacy of Gable.  After all, he rarely used a Winn Dixie to pin/hurt people. Philosophically, if it happened prior to 2010, and no PSU fan was there to witness it, did it really happen?

On 2/28/2019 at 11:04 PM, PSUMike said:

Possibly the dumbest comment I've read on this board.  

Well done.

1 hour ago, BadgerMon said:

Crickets?

It's a great writeup by LewBoo, I think there isn't a big response because most of the regulars have read it previously.  Flo should do a Lewboo segment like they did for Alger, dude has some stories. 

Possibly the dumbest comment I've read on this board.  

Well done.
Recency bias is a pretty common sports fan ailment and the Ruth comment is a classic - but I disagree that his post is the dumbest even in this thread. Tigerfan's post is my choice.

That PSU fans are actually in awe and appreciative of Gable's accomplishments and contributions is not what wins the nomination. Fan-base bashing is common fare on in this forum and pretty ho-hum. It's the weird wind Dixie / hurt sentence that I admire. New heights of creative non-reality bashing has been obtained and must be recognized.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Crickets?

Apologies for not posting earlier. Your story and insights are awesome and humorous.

And confirm my high regard for Gable, so good for my often damaged analytical ego too. Take past champs, put them in the present and they would innovate, adapt and overcome. It's in their DNA.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk