Creek chub

Kyle conel

Kyle conel is on the transfer portal. I know he had an injury. I can’t remember but think it was a shoulder or neck. I hope he gets healthy and gets another year to wrestle. Watching him wreck Moore twice was awesome given he came out of nowhere. Him and Wilson were the epitome of ncaa champion wrestling last year

Rumor has it that he was spotted at the VT vs UVA match in the moss arts center. 

The lure of PSU is great but I think VT has a legit crack at inking him. At VT he gets to train with both walz and haught. 

It’ll be interesting to see where he lands. 

PSU seems like a bad fit to me. You're now asking Beard to sit another whole year on the bench--for what? So you can bring in a banged up 1x AA that's had 1 decent season and 1 great NCAA tournament run? 

He fits better at a place like Michigan, who's going to be making a big push for a finish high on the podium next year in Micic/Massa/Amine's senior season. Not sure how he would fit academically as a grad student there, though.  

Isnt he in school for game design or something? I have no clue what school(s) have good to decent programs for something like that. I gotta think most state universities would be able to get him in a good masters program to supplement that career path, though. 

Good fit? Im not sure stylistically what mold you consider him. He clearly has a high ceiling in any case. Who can develop/enhance talent in a short amount of time? 

Wisconsin? NC State? PSU? 

4 hours ago, tigerfan said:

Perfect, a one year stop-gap until AJ Ferrari can step in as a true frosh and start hammering people.  You gotta admire what unlimited dark money can do for a program.

Beard is already tech falling people left and right as a greyshirt.  He fills in for Conel after his redshirt year, me thinks...

4 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

PSU seems like a bad fit to me. You're now asking Beard to sit another whole year on the bench--for what? So you can bring in a banged up 1x AA that's had 1 decent season and 1 great NCAA tournament run? 

He fits better at a place like Michigan, who's going to be making a big push for a finish high on the podium next year in Micic/Massa/Amine's senior season. Not sure how he would fit academically as a grad student there, though.  

Or you let them wrestle off and the winner goes.  If Beard can beat Conel then he is the starter.  If he can't then he takes a redshirt.  

4 hours ago, iGranby said:

Isnt he in school for game design or something? I have no clue what school(s) have good to decent programs for something like that. I gotta think most state universities would be able to get him in a good masters program to supplement that career path, though. 

Good fit? Im not sure stylistically what mold you consider him. He clearly has a high ceiling in any case. Who can develop/enhance talent in a short amount of time? 

Wisconsin? NC State? PSU? 

Missouri?

1 hour ago, StallWarning said:

Or you let them wrestle off and the winner goes.  If Beard can beat Conel then he is the starter.  If he can't then he takes a redshirt.  

38 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

If I were Cael I wouldn't do it, but that's an option.

Michael Beard majored Chris Weiler (Lehigh), 20-8 last weekend at the Mat Town II Open in the finals.  He'll beat Conel 

1 hour ago, portajohn said:

Michael Beard majored Chris Weiler (Lehigh), 20-8 last weekend at the Mat Town II Open in the finals.  He'll beat Conel 

Even if he wouldn't win the initial wrestleoff, he wouldn't be a big downgrade.  And if I'm Beard and I already agreed to do a greyshirt to better fit the team's 6 year plan, and now you bring in a mercenary transfer for 1 year and ask me to ride the pine again?  How could he not be upset? Don't think Cael would or should risk that.  

9 hours ago, tigerfan said:

Perfect, a one year stop-gap until AJ Ferrari can step in as a true frosh and start hammering people.  You gotta admire what unlimited dark money can do for a program.

Word is Michael Beard is progressing in the practice room and is living up to his blue chip hype.  Hard to see Ferrari committing to PSU.

19 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Even if he wouldn't win the initial wrestleoff, he wouldn't be a big downgrade.  And if I'm Beard and I already agreed to do a greyshirt to better fit the team's 6 year plan, and now you bring in a mercenary transfer for 1 year and ask me to ride the pine again?  How could he not be upset? Don't think Cael would or should risk that.  

I'm not sure losing a wrestle off is asking a guy to ride the pine.  You earn what you get in wrestling.,  That's the way it's always been.  Any guy can start at a weight if they can beat the others at the weight.  

Edited by StallWarning

3 minutes ago, StallWarning said:

I'm not sure losing a wrestle off is asking a guy to ride the pine.  You earn what you get in wrestling.,  That's the way it's always been.  Any guy can start at a weight if they can beat the others at the weight.  

Did Shak beat Cassar in a wrestle off last year?

4 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Did Shak beat Cassar in a wrestle off last year?

I don't know.  I'm not sure they ever said who won in the room.  I get that there are times where guys are pretty much equal and you have to make a decision, but my point is that if you want the spot then separate yourself and don't give the coach another option.

My best guess is that Shak and Cassar were pretty much even in the room and a decision was made on who would score more points at NCAAs.  But again, I don't know for sure and I don't remember Cael ever saying who won in the room.  And because they were co-starters I lean towards nobody separating themselves in the room.

Edited by StallWarning

4 minutes ago, StallWarning said:

Well, fair enough.  We've all seen situations where transfers have a negative impact--I'm just pointing out that I don't think this one would be worth it.  

1 minute ago, lu1979 said:

Shak won the Southern Scuffle pinning the guy who beat Cassar in the Semis.

Shak's performance at the Scuffle is what I think won him the spot.  To be fair to Cassar, he beat Moore fairly handily in the dual where Shak lost to Moore at B1Gs.  Although at that point it was too late.

Edited by StallWarning

19 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I don't understand - if Beard is greyshirting the plan must have been for him to redshirt one more year.  Why would he have greyshirted instead of redshirted if he was going to wrestle next year any way - scholarship money?