Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Kyle Dake lost twice his sophomore year

Max Askren, after his disastrous freshman tournament, never regained the dominance he showed as a freshman, even though he won it as a senior.  What very few outside the room knew was that he had terrible, debilitating back issues his whole career.  Perhaps Lee has a lingering injury of that nature and will never again be quite the same as we saw last year, even if manages to win a title or two more.

For Dake at least (as post facto comments clarified) it was pretty much about gassing from the weight cut (remember how big he looked compared to molinaro). Don't know about those others, but that seems to be its own category of "issue" (though maybe some connection to injuries, confidence, burnout, etc? I didn't wrestle so don't know, really...)

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Including once to 12th ranked Donnie Vinson. And he often looked gassed, even when he won.

This is true, but the Vinson situation was somewhat of a complete anomaly.   Vinson and Dake are from the same area... went to the same clubs growing up.

They worked out all the time. Donnie knew Kyle better than anyone.

Vinson was one of the rare people who actually knew how to beat Kyle in a match.

In his career, he also was 3rd in the NCAA after losing in the first round to Nick Lester, Oklahoma who he beat after that. Something very few people have ever done.

Still, an amazing feat beating Kyle, but the stars were lining up for this college match for many years.

For people in NY, this was not too much of a shock.

Donnie when right, was really really good.  Pop had a huge hand in bringing out the best in him.

Kyle was making a huge cut as well.  11pm on Friday night at the NYS Tournament there were 3 people in the Hotel Fitness Room, me, my kid who was cutting too much, and Kyle.  

Not sure how it really relates to Lee, I haven't heard about Lee's weight cut at all and still believe he isn't right 100% combined with adjustments made by the other top competitors in the weight. 

22 minutes ago, leshismore said:

This is true, but the Vinson situation was somewhat of a complete anomaly.   Vinson and Dake are from the same area... went to the same clubs growing up.

They worked out all the time. Donnie knew Kyle better than anyone.

Vinson was one of the rare people who actually knew how to beat Kyle in a match.

In his career, he also was 3rd in the NCAA after losing in the first round to Nick Lester, Oklahoma who he beat after that. Something very few people have ever done.

Still, an amazing feat beating Kyle, but the stars were lining up for this college match for many years.

For people in NY, this was not too much of a shock.

Correct Vison was no slouch. High school is what gets me. Dake In high school Kept finishing behind Paddock (Ohio State) and Ekstrom (Oklahoma state) but was on another level in college. Everyone in Ny thought Ekstrom would be the big thing injuries derailed that. 

Pat Smith lost 4 times his freshman (true FR) year including twice to Russell, one of those by fall.  Lost the last dual match of the season that year, then never again.  Beat Russell 16-7 at NCAA tournament.  Yes you can lose a match and still win an NCAA title and even 4 titles as both Dake & Smith have demonstrated.  

6 hours ago, tigerfan said:

Max Askren, after his disastrous freshman tournament, never regained the dominance he showed as a freshman, even though he won it as a senior.  What very few outside the room knew was that he had terrible, debilitating back issues his whole career.  Perhaps Lee has a lingering injury of that nature and will never again be quite the same as we saw last year, even if manages to win a title or two more.

I liked Max. It was a shocker when he was #1 seed and went 0-2 at NCAAs. Was happy he finally won a title as a Sr (and an underdog).

7 minutes ago, Perry said:

I believe Dake had losses to Vinson, Zach Bailey of OU (a KC, MO native), LaVallee (the elder) and one additional I can't recall immediately

I remember Zack beating Dake. Made me kinda question Dake's abilities for a little while (Zack was pretty good, but never finished higher than 4th).

Edited by TobusRex

2 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

Correct Vison was no slouch. High school is what gets me. Dake In high school Kept finishing behind Paddock (Ohio State) and Ekstrom (Oklahoma state) but was on another level in college. Everyone in Ny thought Ekstrom would be the big thing injuries derailed that. 

I was really high on Paddock. I thought he'd be a champ. I remember there were rumors of transferring to Cornell his senior year, and even then, I thought a coaching and environment change might bring out the high AA in him. I'm pretty surprised he didn't do more in college. Tremendous athlete, very strong, solid fundamentally. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Seeing the size difference between a 149 pound Dake and a 149 pound Molinaro was downright comical.  Dake looked like a 165 pounder wrestling 149.

Image result for dake molinaro

Plus he rode Molinaro like he weighed 16 pounds heavier too!

18 minutes ago, Perry said:

I believe Dake had losses to Vinson, Zach Bailey of OU (a KC, MO native), LaVallee (the elder) and one additional I can't recall immediately

Dake lost twice at Vegas his freshman year, once to Reese Humphrey in the semis and the loss to Bailey in the consi-finals.

45 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I was really high on Paddock. I thought he'd be a champ. I remember there were rumors of transferring to Cornell his senior year, and even then, I thought a coaching and environment change might bring out the high AA in him. I'm pretty surprised he didn't do more in college. Tremendous athlete, very strong, solid fundamentally. 

The Paddock family is close to legendary in NYS High School wrestling.  Very hard to believe they haven't had more success.

Humphrey,  that's right! Thanks for that it was bothering me I couldn't remember. Bailey was a hammer but was always injury prone. He was ranked number 1 for a good chunk of his senior year. I think he had a pretty significant knee injury that year that kept him reaching his full potential

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I think his brother Aaron was seriously injured while he was still at Ohio state that had to effect his wrestling as they are a very close family. Sadly his father Brad passed away a few years ago it was a major loss for upstate wrestling as practices at the barn were just as legendary.

4 hours ago, Perry said:

3 hours ago, gromit said:

Dake lost twice at Vegas his freshman year, once to Reese Humphrey in the semis and the loss to Bailey in the consi-finals.

2009-10

Reece Humphrey (Ohio State) Dec Kyle Dake 4-2 SV

Zack Bailey (Oklahoma) Dec Kyle Dake 2-1 TB

2010-11

Donnie Vinson (Binghamton) Dec Kyle Dake 5-3

Kevin LeValley (Bucknell) Dec Kyle Dake 4-2 SV (EIWA Championship Finals)

1 hour ago, Sublime607 said:

That was Ian paddock. Paul was Edinboro. Burk went to Iowa and not sure what happened to him.

Burke left Iowa shortly after his dad passed away. Here’s a cool article about him from last year.

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn01/two-thousand-miles-and-six-months-warsaw-native-completes-appalachian-trail-20180115&template=mbdn