Sign in to follow this  
tec87

Finals Format Change

Everyone not named Dake or Taylor have just called Larry Owings for some of his tournament mo jo!

Is that accurate info ? If so, I just don't think that it is appropriate. To raise one weight, and 2 guys, 'above it all'. Ohh....it just sucks. I can follow the 165 action just fine......that is, right after the two 157 finalists are done and given their due respect.

addendum:

Should officials ever do something as silly as that ...... well then let's just think back to the professor when he got that last one vs Trenge in the finals - to make it 159-0.

If any bout could/should be raised 'above it all' it's that one. But it was not.

And that's my point !

addendum:

Should officials ever do something as silly as that ...... well then let's just think back to the professor when he got that last one vs Trenge in the finals - to make it 159-0.

If any bout could/should be raised 'above it all' it's that one. But it was not.

And that's my point !

It's happening, Denny. Already announced.

addendum:

And that's my point !

It's happening, Denny. Already announced.

Okay, just in case (not wishing bad things) remember my point.

Keeps everyone in the building and watching ESPN.

100%

Even though all the finals are exciting, nobody is leaving early or turning the channel on this one.

Actually gives the big guys more viewers.

I have mixed emotions about the change. On one hand, I've always advocated DRAWING the weights in every tournament. The primary purpose of the rule change about drawing weights was to assure that every wrestler has an equal opportunity to wrestle with a one-hour (or two-hour in tournaments) weighin. The 125 and 133-pounders have been given the short end of the stick ever since the next year when the rule was added allowing a dual to start at a weight mutually agreed on by the coaches. Purpose: to set up a marquee matchup. Unfortunately, virtually no one does that. it would be great in a dual where one team is far superior to the other, but one weight class features two top five nationally ranked guys. Why not make that the final bout of the night?

Heck, if I were coaching at Iowa State when Cael was there, especially has last two years, I would have tried to start every home dual at 197 if the other coach would agree.

So, it's good to see the committee thinking of marketing. But it's different. Just for the record, I looked the rule book and can find no provision to allow the committee to do this. Not saying it's bad, just wondering if they polled coaches to see if it was "mutually agreeable." Now, there could be a provision listed in the NCAA tournament manual. I couldn't locate it online. Anyway, an interesting decision.

Trivia question: When was the last (and maybe only) time the NCAA finals were not wrestled in order? Scroll down for answer. By the way, I'm doing this without looking it up, so if my memory has faded on me, feel free to correct.

In 1987 at Maryland, I believe, they used a somewhat random order of finals. Bill Kelly of Iowa State pinned Brad Penright of Iowa at 126 and helped spur the Cyclones to the title, snapping Iowa's 9-year streak. I think that's right. Coulda been 1988 at Ames when they changed the order. If you were there, lemme know if I'm okay or messed up!

Great move. FINALLY wrestling gives in to the 21st Century and starts making little changes that mean NOTHING in the overall scheme of things to promote the sport.

And denny, I absolutely agree that Sanderson's match not being last for 159-0 was a travesty but it shows that we have progressed since the dark ages.

I try not to attack other's opinions but guys, if you can't see that creating drama for the final bout AND having the most popular bouts (usually) 125-165 go at the end are good for the sport, then you are probably an advocate for reading the last page of a book before the middle as well, and I'm not sure you can be helped ;)

There is NO good reason that we go 125 to HWT every year, other than "it's always been done that way", which is the lamest reason of them all.

Agreed this is a great move, discussed quite a bit this month in WIN by various writers about creating a more prime time approach for wrestling. Now that we are on TV let's get out of the dark ages and start promoting the sport more. If Ali-Frazier were light heavy's would they have fought second to last that night?

This helps Dake, assuming he makes the finals. Dake gets better when the pressure is on. Is that true of Taylor, too? There is just a bit of evidence that it is not.

Perhaps. In a way it could loosen the pressure a little bit.

1 There will be more time to work out those jitters.

2 Win or Lose maybe the team champ is already decided by then, and that pressure is off his back.

Not sure about the jitters thing. they weigh in at 8 or 9 that morning then would have at least 9 hours before 165 would be wrestled in the normal order. that oughta be plenty of time to get rid of the jitters, if they're actually get-riddable. lol.

See, Tirapell and I are progressive! lol. I remember back in '04, I think, when Missouri went to Oklahoma Staate for a dual match and I suggested they start at 184. the final three weigths would have been:

157 -- Kenny Burleson-Johny Hendricks

165 -- Tyron Woodley-Tyrone Lewis

174 -- Ben Askren-Chris Pendleton

I'm not trying to single out those two coaches. One or both could have had reasons not to do it. But what a great finish for fans to see. Just wish more coaches would market. That includes, by the way, people not ducking a big matchup for seeding protection. So many times you see that around the country.

For seedings purposes, I wish the seedings committee would count a "sitout" as a seedings loss unless the sittee has a letter from a physician -- not a student trainer -- saying he would not be able to perform close to his standards and/or would be in strong jeopardy of making an injury worse.

Great move. FINALLY wrestling gives in to the 21st Century and starts making little changes that mean NOTHING in the overall scheme of things to promote the sport.

And denny, I absolutely agree that Sanderson's match not being last for 159-0 was a travesty but it shows that we have progressed since the dark ages.

I try not to attack other's opinions but guys, if you can't see that creating drama for the final bout AND having the most popular bouts (usually) 125-165 go at the end are good for the sport, then you are probably an advocate for reading the last page of a book before the middle as well, and I'm not sure you can be helped ;)

There is NO good reason that we go 125 to HWT every year, other than "it's always been done that way", which is the lamest reason of them all.

What Adam said !!!!!

So we love tradition when arguing for inclusion in the Olympics, but we throw tradition out the door for this??

This isn't high school. This is Disrespectful to all the finalists, esp the heavyweights, ironically, HWT is the deepest it's ever been and extremely competitive with some great storylines. As a competitor, this would've bothered me.

Obviously, I dislike this decision. Yes, I will be excited standing up and watching it in person.

Will it make any difference in Espn viewership?? NO! Stop.

How can anyone not like this? Awesome move.

Sorry, Denny, this is the one match that should and is above all. Viewership is democratic, and the vast majority of viewers as well as attendees want to see Dake vs. Taylor above all others.

I agree that this helps Dake, who loves the limelight.

Everyone's going to be disappointed when Pete Yates upsets Taylor in the Semis...but I guess Dake will still be going for his fourth, so it's still the premier match.

Ps. If I end up being wrong about this I bet "Acadia" will bring it up and quote me and tell me how wrong I am...along with everyone else who wasn't 100% right on their predictions. He comes around every year just for that purpose.