Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Best pinning move?

1 hour ago, KTG119 said:

anyone remember the book Mat Snacks by Jack Spates? There was a story about Tab wrestling a smallish heavyweight from Clemson. Clemson kid was actually doing pretty well and then decided to take a shot; as he did the Clemson bench in unison "NOOOOOOOO"....anyway it was described as the kid basically disappearing under Tab and Tab of course getting the fall. 

kind of shocked to hear that Jack can read/write, let alone write a book. (JK, I like Jack).

Similar story from me. My best friend in HS was a 6'2" tall Mexican kid, weighed about 215 pounds. He was about as soft as marshmallow, shockingly weak for his size, but nonetheless our "starting" HWT nearly every match. He "won" a lot of matches by forfeit. Anyway my buddy was wrestling a fat boy from Coweta that weighed 400+ pounds. I told Homero "whatever you do don't shoot on that fat bastard". So the match started, and what does Homero do? He tries a DOUBLELEG. Damn that was an ugly finish. Fat boy just crushed him.

51 minutes ago, CGE said:

Yes it did happen. We were teammates at the time, Wade was Wade he sure could pack the stands.

Would love to hear any and all Wade stories you have CGE.  How intense was he in practice?

Edited by Gantry

**** I remember the at the Sheridan Tournament sometime early in the season, in the 1980s when Bernie Brown of Lehigh wrestled Tab Thacker of NC State.  Bernie was about 215-220 but really strong.  Tab was, well Tab and weighed around 425.  Bernie tried to stay away to stay healthy but finally tried a single leg.  Bernie later told me, "Trying to lift that leg was like trying to lift a Redwood".  Later in the match Bernie was down and tried to escape.  He got to his feet but Tab had him from behind and landed on Bernie's back, squashing him.  Bernie was hurt but toughed it out to finish the match on the losing side of a 11-3 decision.  Later it came out that Bernie suffered a hernia with the attempted escape move and squash.  He ended up missing a number of matches.

1 minute ago, Cary by the Lake said:

**** I remember the at the Sheridan Tournament sometime early in the season, in the 1980s when Bernie Brown of Lehigh wrestled Tab Thacker of NC State.  Bernie was about 215-220 but really strong.  Tab was, well Tab and weighed around 425.  Bernie tried to stay away to stay healthy but finally tried a single leg.  Bernie later told me, "Trying to lift that leg was like trying to lift a Redwood".  Later in the match Bernie was down and tried to escape.  He got to his feet but Tab had him from behind and landed on Bernie's back, squashing him.  Bernie was hurt but toughed it out to finish the match on the losing side of a 11-3 decision.  Later it came out that Bernie suffered a hernia with the attempted escape move and squash.  He ended up missing a number of matches.

I've told this story before- not positive it was this year but it was the Sheridan with Thacker. I was doing the weighins. We had an old Betsy scale. It was a spin around dial with a balance bar across the center. It only went up to 250- I remember that because 126 was almost dead straight up (I almost screwed Tom Koch about 15 years later thinking it was off until I realized the dial was slightly above the dial face). On the bar you could slide a weight to add 150 and get a max of 400. (Possibly 125 and 375).

Tab was last. He came up. I told him to not even bother getting on. I asked how much. He said 375. I stared at him. He said 395. I kept staring. He said 415- I said Sold!

18 hours ago, Cary by the Lake said:

I remember Tab as well wrestling our Navy Heavyweight who was built like a linebacker....didn't do much good against Tab's size though.

On 2/28/2019 at 8:44 AM, KTG119 said:

Gene Mills Half

Schalles whatever he wanted and x marks the spot (did that really happen or is it urban wrestling legend?)

They didn't call Gene Mills "MEAN GENE THE PINNING MACHINE" for nothing.  Kids today don't work on trying to gain the fall.  

8 hours ago, Alwayswrestling said:

Not sure if it the best pinning hold but my HOF HS wrestling coach always told us that more very good wrestlers are pinned with a cradle than any other pinning hold.

My JH coach always said the cradle wasn't a pinhold, just a points hold. (yeah, he wasn't too bright!).

On 2/27/2019 at 5:32 PM, portajohn said:

For those of us who used to street wrestle it was the Triple Decker Pecker Wrecker.  

Sounds similar to the "Five on Two" as a set-up move.

2 hours ago, Gantry said:

It's really strange how much better freshman BoJo was so much better than junior/senior BoJo on top.   A combo of scouting and injuries is my guess there, but only a guess...

I've wondered how much his gimpy foot was a hindrance.   

11 hours ago, Gantry said:

It's really strange how much better freshman BoJo was so much better than junior/senior BoJo on top.   A combo of scouting and injuries is my guess there, but only a guess...

I thought for sure he'd win an NCAA Title. His injuries had to have been a big deal because his whole game got slightly less dominating. 

12 hours ago, TobusRex said:

My JH coach always said the cradle wasn't a pinhold, just a points hold. (yeah, he wasn't too bright!).

At that level it was more accurate because refs wouldn’t call the fall unless kids were 100% flat and most cradles allow for a little bit of lean off mostly the outside shoulder. However, in College, most refs will call the fall if you are stagnant even if there is a bit of separation.   The only thing that saved Hendricks was how close it was to the end of the period when Churella Locked it up.  Although most College refs will call the fall a cradle takes some time to get into a position to see both scapulae to call the fall.