D3UC157

Worst Calls, NCAA Finals

11 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

That was a brutal match. Was happy Molinaro managed to win a title before he graduated.

Arguably the most dominant / one-sided finals match of all time, barring those ending in techs and pins. And majors. Involving guys wearing either red or blue. Never mind   

This was definitely one of them.....don't get Medicine Man going on this one!!!    Ryan Churella vs. Hendricks......he was in that position for 4 seconds....I had several sequential photos where you could see the riding time/match time change...that's why I know 5 seconds.  Fadz.

ncaaryan62.jpg

Neal v McCoy 97: didn't they hit Neal with a questionable staff call with under :30 left in the match to give McCoy the 3-2 lead and final margin of victory? I think Neal was actually shooting when they called it too.

I think same year there was also an iffy stall call on Kading to send his match with Fullhart into OT.

6 hours ago, TobusRex said:

That's crazy. I bet Gable wanted to beat him to death with a tire iron after that match. I'm curious: is Bud Palmer related to Lance Palmer? Dad or Uncle, maybe?

No Idea. I believe Bud's first name might have actually been Chris, But Boomer's database shows only Bud. I remember the name Lance but don't remember anything about him.

Palmer is a pretty common name here, near Harrisburg, And of course Arnold was from Latrobe, the other side of Pa.

I don't think the no fall call was the most egregious part of that match.  I still contend that two of the takedown calls were much worse.

JO/Stieber:  At that time, I still say no takedown.  Rules changed to make it so.

Wilps/Brown:  I think the official had to call that because he had to review it.  He may have wanted to ignore it but once that challenge was out there, he was forced to review it and it was there.

The Kent State wrestler that had the wrong score recorded and the NCAA wished that away was pretty bad for a non-final.

45 minutes ago, Rakkasan91 said:

I don't think the no fall call was the most egregious part of that match.  I still contend that two of the takedown calls were much worse.

Agreed- For one thing I was at the head table and he didn't look pinned to me then. Even looking at the photo you can see the one butt cheek higher than the other and the same inside arm/elbow much higher than the other.

5 hours ago, Perry said:

Mark hall vs bo jordan a couple years ago 

Now that I rewatch it, Nickal over Dean that same tournament with the obv non call TD to match the non reversal call that Bo got hosed on. Penn State really paid off the officials well that year..

41 minutes ago, WRfan1 said:

That's funny, me neither.  No one cares what I think though, except maybe JO.

Just silly.  The rules were the rules.  If it is that close don’t wait until there’s no time on the clock to try to score.

Maybe Stieber would have done something different if the rules were different?

On 2/27/2019 at 7:42 PM, D3UC157 said:

What have been some of the worst/most controversial call/no calls in the finals?

Exempli gratia: JO V. Steibler 

that was my immediate choice before I even opened the page.

On 2/27/2019 at 9:15 PM, RichB said:

1979 When Mark Lieberman was beating him in the finals,Bud  Palmer of Iowa Refused to wrestle, got DQed for 5 stallings. When he got his medal he jumped of the medal platform almost instantly, possibly before the Gold was awarded, and certainly before adequate respect, presentation, and photography. that could be flagrant misconduct. was that loss of all points in those days. Iowa still beats ISU

Lance and Collins parents are Dwayne and Rita Palmer. Won't say he isn't related but Bud is not their father or uncle

**** Yes this is a Semis match but another Non Call, this time a Fall for Brad Dillon against Carl Fronheiser.  He had him stacked and Kessel refused to call it.  Like the picture above Kessel simply refused to make a call.  Hence the Wrestling Term being "Kesseled".  I like Gary but he made some bone headed calls or non calls at the NCAAs.

On 2/28/2019 at 2:21 PM, gimpeltf said:

Agreed- For one thing I was at the head table and he didn't look pinned to me then. Even looking at the photo you can see the one butt cheek higher than the other and the same inside arm/elbow much higher than the other.

Hmm...I never noticed how high Hendrick's right elbow was before.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:24 PM, hammerlockthree said:

its not just the no pin, Kessel through out 2 insanely bad takedowns in the third....

How about the takedown he gave off of the "platform"  and JH hadn't even gone behind?????