D3UC157

Worst Calls, NCAA Finals

1979 When Mark Lieberman was beating him in the finals,Bud  Palmer of Iowa Refused to wrestle, got DQed for 5 stallings. When he got his medal he jumped of the medal platform almost instantly, possibly before the Gold was awarded, and certainly before adequate respect, presentation, and photography. that could be flagrant misconduct. was that loss of all points in those days. Iowa still beats ISU

It was a bad way to end a match but the correct call.

1-point lead w 6 seconds to go. Called for stalling on top to tie the score then, on the restart, Brown drops to a knee and lifts his arms before the buzzer to show locked hands. Wins on two penalty points in the final seconds of the match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, RichB said:

1979 When Mark Lieberman was beating him in the finals,Bud  Palmer of Iowa Refused to wrestle, got DQed for 5 stallings. When he got his medal he jumped of the medal platform almost instantly, possibly before the Gold was awarded, and certainly before adequate respect, presentation, and photography. that could be flagrant misconduct. was that loss of all points in those days. Iowa still beats ISU

That's crazy. I bet Gable wanted to beat him to death with a tire iron after that match. I'm curious: is Bud Palmer related to Lance Palmer? Dad or Uncle, maybe?

18 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Not a ref... but how about Molinaro's call to choose bottom in the 2nd against Dake.  Bad call. 

That was a brutal match. Was happy Molinaro managed to win a title before he graduated.

11 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

It was a bad way to end a match but the correct call.

I think Brown deserved to win because Wilps quit wrestling, but that dropping to the mat to draw a locked hands is a cheap trick and the ref should have ignored it. Ii's liking flopping to draw a charge in basketball.