D3UC157

Worst Calls, NCAA Finals

10 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

The photo on the left is from the below linked Intermat article.  They identify it as the match being discussed - not a different mat and/or a different round.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/2367

hendrickschurella1.jpg  26548970668_6aff8c861a_o_d.jpg

Pinned? (Photo/Johnnie Johnson)

Not sure what your point is. The picture to which I replied (the one on the right) has the wrestlers photoshopped onto a different mat during a different session. There was only one mat for the finals. I'll admit I was wondering if he found a completely different bout with a similar position.

Also, a couple of other visual clues as to the real picture. Look at John Smith here. He seems relatively relaxed knowing the period was over. And if you scroll up to see the gif you'll note that Kessel was jumping back and forth then when they settled he looked at the left shoulder then the right and immediately got to his feet as he also realized time was up. See where his hand is in the picture. He is pushing up to his feet and out of the way. So this picture is moot timewise.

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

Not sure what your point is. The picture to which I replied (the one on the right) has the wrestlers photoshopped onto a different mat during a different session. There was only one mat for the finals. I'll admit I was wondering if he found a completely different bout with a similar position.

Also, a couple of other visual clues as to the real picture. Look at John Smith here. He seems relatively relaxed knowing the period was over. And if you scroll up to see the gif you'll note that Kessel was jumping back and forth then when they settled he looked at the left shoulder then the right and immediately got to his feet as he also realized time was up. See where his hand is in the picture. He is pushing up to his feet and out of the way. So this picture is moot timewise.

OK, I thought your comment that "This isn't even the match itself" meant that the two wrestlers depicted weren't Churella and Hendricks in the finals.  As you  indicated above, you were wondering if Medicine Man had found a completely different bout with a similar position.  I was just pointing out that the action shown was from an actual Intermat photo of the bout under discussion.

As to Smith's demeanor, I don't think you can tell much from that photo.  You say he looks "relatively relaxed knowing the period was over."  However, from watching the video in slow motion, I think that picture was taken with about 2 seconds remaining in the period.  Notice how high Hendricks feet are and that his left foot moves further down before the whistle blows. In fact, the whistle sounds almost simultaneously with his left foot hitting the mat.

Similarly to the above, while you can indeed see Kessell's hand in the still photo, that doesn't necessarily mean that "he is pushing up to his feet and out of the way."  He had his hand on the mat for several seconds before the whistle blew.  And, again from watching the video in so-mo, Kessell doesn't push up from the mat until the whistle blows - which is almost simultaneously with when Hendrick's left foot hits the mat.  Therefore, the still photo must have been taken earlier based on the position of Hendrick's feet in that photo.  IMO anyway.

Video Link Next Post

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

Again, as I pointed out before. There's no guarantee that the video clock is in sync with the real clock. Back then the video clock might be a separate operation. And as to Kessel's position he was closer than where that hand appears to be until he stood up. Admittedly, I'm guessing about Smith.

I watched parts of this video with the first two periods. The first period ended and you could hear the horn (which should be slower than a visual) just before the clock hit zero although it was very close. The clock does show in the background for a couple seconds during the cradle scramble and it is close to a second ahead of the video clock.

And I forgot to add the link but I see it is the same one you added.

Edited by gimpeltf

Yeah, I agree that the official time was probably about 1 second ahead of the video clock.  Kessell must have felt that time either ran out and/or Churella's arm was between Hendrick's right shoulder and the mat.  You could see his arm and head were covering it when he cranked Hendricks over.  Looks like he got his head out to the side, but you can't see his arm (at least I can't).

Too bad we don't have better video and especially that we don't have the third period at all.  IIRC there were some exciting scrambles and more controversy regarding TD's.  But I can't remember exactly how it played out. Churella was up 7-4 going into the period, but ended up losing 9-8, right?

It's interesting how they labeled it Part 1 without a Part 2. At least it wasn't the other way around.

One thing about the td calls. I've seen Gary ref for years. One trait of his that stood out to me was how he waited out his calls. I heard the refs here were told not to do that. It showed in some of those calls. I also remember him looking to his judge for help. None came that day.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:21 AM, MedicineMan said:

Mr Kong, who cares where Johny's right arm is, you don't need the right arm on the mat to get the pin.  His right shoulder may have been a bit off the mat, but you can see from the photo that his right scapula is down on the mat, unless all the muscles holding the scapula in place are torn loose.  The only possible arguments for  Kessel's behalf are that the photo is a brief time frame under one second-and Hendricks rolled out of that flat position, OR...time ran out.  Fadz sequential photos, taken from right beside the mat, prove both of those possibilities are wrong.  But then there are the takedowns later in the match that elevate Kessel to the GOAT for worst NCAA finals.

26548970668_6aff8c861a_o_d.jpg

Here's some jpgs from the youtube no one can find anymore

churella1churella5churella6

Fadz!!!!