Sign in to follow this  
executionery4145

Coaching ?

On 2/27/2019 at 10:41 PM, executionery4145 said:

Does a coach need to had compete at a high level in order to have a successful high school wrestling program? 

No but I do believe that to be very successful they must have been on a college team

It really depends on your criteria for defining "high level." 

In reality, no you do not. Good coaches need to be able to motivate the athletes, teach moves, and deal with the others(AD, parents, etc). Being able to hit a double leg doesn't mean you can break it down for a kid to learn it. If you can't hit a good double leg in competition, it also doesn't mean you can demonstrate it and break it down. 

More than anything good coaches can communicate with their athletes along with showing them good technique that you can honestly pick up at camps, clinics, or on videos.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:16 PM, Bryan said:

No but I do believe that to be very successful they must have been on a college team

My coach never wrestled.  His teams were some of the most successful in NY history. He became an assistant Olympic coach and is in the wrestling hall of fame.  As others had said, he knew how to talk to people and motivate them. I have known MANY successful D 1 wrestlers that could not coach at all.

My high school coach never wrestled in high school,  started as a freshman in college and never made the team again. By the time he was a senior he was the team manager. He could barely play tennis and was too small for football.  

When I was in school, his wrestling team was undeated, his football team was undefeated, and his tennis team was un-scored on. That means all singles and doubles were undefeated in matches, and he had the doubles state champs. He is in the PIAA wrestling hall of fame. 

A coach needs to communicate and inspire, regardless of the sport. 

Another coach I was a camp councilor for, was the most successful coach in Long Island history. He never wrestled,  but he kinda founded the sport in New York State.  National Wrestling Hall of Fame member. 

So, no, a coach doesn't have to have been a star wrestler. But he better be knowledegable.

Depends on what your definition of "high level" is. I don't think college experience is required for HS coaching. There are lots of talented technically gifted wrestlers who never wrestled in college, anyway.  I'd expect the coach to have, at least, competed at the level he's coaching. If he's a HS coach he should've at least been a HS wrestler, preferably a good one. For the little guys (grade school) I'd expect their coach to have a strong sense of basic stuff, like standups, single/double legs, how to ride, etc.