Lurker

Way too early WTT picks

Just for fun

FS

57 Gilman (I think this is going to be his last year though)

60 Colon

65 Retherford

70 Green (also think this is his last one)

74 Dake

79 Ringer (wanted to go Zahid here but I don't know, just have a hunch).

86 Taylor

92 Cox (not sure about this one just because I'm not sure he doesn't shoot at one of the olympic weights to try and get that bye

97 Snyder

285 Gwiz (Alot of people are going to say Gable I'm sure, but I'm going to hold off on that this year)

Going to hold off on greco for a little bit, just haven't seen enough this season to start picking.

GO.......

Just for fun

FS
57 Gilman (I think this is going to be his last year though)
60 Colon
65 Retherford
70 Green (also think this is his last one)
74 Dake
79 Ringer (wanted to go Zahid here but I don't know, just have a hunch).
86 Taylor
92 Cox (not sure about this one just because I'm not sure he doesn't shoot at one of the olympic weights to try and get that bye
97 Snyder
285 Gwiz (Alot of people are going to say Gable I'm sure, but I'm going to hold off on that this year)

Going to hold off on greco for a little bit, just haven't seen enough this season to start picking.

GO.......
Is Dake going 74kg?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"They" say Dake will drop to 74kg this year. If he stays at 79kg and wins a medal, he doesn't get any 2020 seeding points, and he doesn't get a bye to the 2020 OTT. If he goes 74kg and doesn't make the team, the same downsides apply, so he'll risk not making the team for the reward for the seeding points and the bye for 2020 74kg. 

"They" say Dake will drop to 74kg this year. If he stays at 79kg and wins a medal, he doesn't get any 2020 seeding points, and he doesn't get a bye to the 2020 OTT. If he goes 74kg and doesn't make the team, the same downsides apply, so he'll risk not making the team for the reward for the seeding points and the bye for 2020 74kg. 

Can he try 74 kg and then go 79 kg?

The bye isn't as big as deal as in the past beacuse of the new Final X series.

13 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Is Dake going 74kg?

Have no idea. Just my guess.

You make a good point though in that the bye isn't quite as crucial with the new set up.  

Edited by Lurker

Im guessing we see a few people consider shifting this year, so they can earn some international points towards the Olympic weight they may compete at.  Could create  a few interesting finals.   Plus it will not allow us to optimize our World Championship line-up unless USAW allow for some special wrestle offs (not done previously) due to the early Olympic weight shifts causing such a bottleneck if talent. 

Edited by MadMardigain

FS

57 Fix (i suggest he beats out Gilman)

61 Colon.  Note:  I'm also on the Whitford bandwagon.  If he goes 61kg, look out!

65 Retherford over Oliver.  Zain gets his revenge when he needs it the most.

70 Nolf.  Calling it now.

74 Dake over Burroughs (if he goes 74kg)

79 Hall over Ringer.  Hall's freestyle chops are even better than his folkstyle, and we hadn't seem him freestyle it for over a year now. I have this gut feeling that he'll be a MONSTER.

86 Taylor

92 Cox over Nickal.  This match is going to be EPIC.

97 Snyder over doesn't matter.  No one domestically will make it close this year.  

285 Gwiz over Gable.  Gwiz is a horrible style matchup for Gable.  

So Dake willing to possibly miss out on a World medal in 2019 (assuming JB beats him) to get the bye in 2020?  I see the point but than I don't because what's what more important if I weigh the both?  Chance for a 2019 world medal vs a bye in 2020 OTT?  Obviously he'd have to beat JB and medal for this to happen.  Certainly possible and Dake seems all in as his physical, mental and spiritual training is Russian like.

What will JB do if Dake comes down and beats him?  Hang in for 2020 or put the boots on the mat at home?

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I hope they consider giving Dake and potentially Cox special wrestle offs if they try the Olympic weight and do not make the team. 

It's not that simple thought.  The selection procedures have to go through a drafting and approval process through the USOC.  There are obviously special considerations for special circumstance, but I don't know that they can just do that for not making the team at your first weight of choice.  For example, when Lindland wanted to give FS guys who didn't make the team a shot at Greco, how that procedure would pan out had to go through the process of approving selection procedures.

14 minutes ago, josephe said:

So Dake willing to possibly miss out on a World medal in 2019 (assuming JB beats him) to get the bye in 2020?  I see the point but than I don't because what's what more important if I weigh the both?  Chance for a 2019 world medal vs a bye in 2020 OTT?  Obviously he'd have to beat JB and medal for this to happen.  Certainly possible and Dake seems all in as his physical, mental and spiritual training is Russian like.

What will JB do if Dake comes down and beats him?  Hang in for 2020 or put the boots on the mat at home?

But it wouldn't just be the bye in 2020.  If he wins the weight and medals/wins world at 74, he has a jumpstart in the rankings series.

I think if Dake beats JB, JB will stick around for 2020.  

43 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It's not that simple thought.  The selection procedures have to go through a drafting and approval process through the USOC.  There are obviously special considerations for special circumstance, but I don't know that they can just do that for not making the team at your first weight of choice.  For example, when Lindland wanted to give FS guys who didn't make the team a shot at Greco, how that procedure would pan out had to go through the process of approving selection procedures.

You’re right but this is new ground with all these new weights. I wish they would just expand the weight classes for the Olympics. 

I would take the field over Colon at 61. I think Garrett figured him out and would beat him again at Final X if he is healthy and can get there.  If not Garrett, I think Graff matches up very well against Colon (teched him 10-0 in their only FS meeting) and would have a great shot as well. 

3 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

You’re right but this is new ground with all these new weights. I wish they would just expand the weight classes for the Olympics. 

Agreed!

Well, I am looking forward to the upcoming MFS season, we should see a lot of interesting match ups. We have a lot of very talented young wrestlers that should make their presence felt. And it wouldn't surprise me to see someone like a Mark Hall reach the finals of Final X. But even after saying all that, I think we don't see our present team change much this year. I think we will see the big changes after 2020. 

17 hours ago, josephe said:

If Dake is all in on Olympic gold, heading to 74kg is the smart move this year.  He's already got world gold.  On top of the bye system for trials, he needs time to adjust to 74kg, making and competing.  Dake probably has to shrink his body a bit more than before to make 74kg with the new rules. 

JB is committed to 2020.  Even if he doesn't make the 2019 team, which for the record I think he does, I believe he will try one last time in 2020.  I'm saddened we are nearing the end of this legend's career.  

6 hours ago, misterc said:

If Dake is all in on Olympic gold, heading to 74kg is the smart move this year.  He's already got world gold.  On top of the bye system for trials, he needs time to adjust to 74kg, making and competing.  Dake probably has to shrink his body a bit more than before to make 74kg with the new rules. 

JB is committed to 2020.  Even if he doesn't make the 2019 team, which for the record I think he does, I believe he will try one last time in 2020.  I'm saddened we are nearing the end of this legend's career.  

To me...JB has looked "really good" at Kolov.  Just sayin'.

On 2/28/2019 at 8:53 AM, cjc007 said:

Can he try 74 kg and then go 79 kg?

The bye isn't as big as deal as in the past beacuse of the new Final X series.

To  my understanding, you can only qualify for the WTT/Final X at one weight class, and I doubt they'll grant Dake a special wrestle off if he just loses. 

The bye for being a world medalist is to the best of 3 Final X match. That means that world medalists get to skip the US Open and the WTT Challenge Tournament. So yes, it is still a big deal for Dake's 2020 plan. 

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

To me...JB has looked "really good" at Kolov.  Just sayin'.

JB did indeed look great vs the field so far at Kolov. Is it just me, or does it look like he had to shrink his body a little for 74kg two day weigh in? His arms and legs look smaller than in the past. 

35 minutes ago, GranbyTroll said:

JB did indeed look great vs the field so far at Kolov. Is it just me, or does it look like he had to shrink his body a little for 74kg two day weigh in? His arms and legs look smaller than in the past. 

oddly enough, I thought he looked "bigger".  

I thought he looked leaner and almost as fast as he was 4 years ago.

And his technique is boss.

I think it will be the same as last year's team without any very close challengers besides 61 where I take a healthy Garrett and 65 I'd take Oliver.

If Dake does change weights I think that's the best move for him. If he wins he gets the seeding points for the Olympics. If he loses he already has a world medal and there will be less chance of the international guys figuring him out for 2020. If they go I think Dake beats JB now.

Chamizo vs Dake would also be a super interesting matchup between two explosive, defensive dynamos.